Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Look at this!

Just read the announcements made in the "Hat in the Ring" advertising.

Wow! We will have wind buffeting effects available soon!

That should add some reality and challenge!

Looking at the screenshots, I saw many fine improvements.

See the airfield from above; there are all the rolling trails in the grass;

the buildings seem more detailed now.

The hilly landscapes look even so much better now - it will be great to just fly over the land.

Bursting from anticipation? Yes, Sirs!

I am a little confused by the "wind buffeting" that is mentioned in the expansion.

Isn't that modeled now in the Workshop? There is a Wind checkbox there now - what exactly is the difference between that and "wind buffeting"?

I know I don't use the current wind setting as I read that it does not affect AI aircraft.

The Wind as in sim is a constant force, although can change as you fly to another constant value as the wind or direction changes. Buffeting here is wind that rapidly bursts and you feel it when flying, pushes the craft around some.

The Wind as in sim is a constant force, although can change as you fly to another constant value as the wind or direction changes. Buffeting here is wind that rapidly bursts and you feel it when flying, pushes the craft around some.

As long as it's not like flying through clouds where your wings get ripped of the plane. grin.gif

I am a little confused by the "wind buffeting" that is mentioned in the expansion.

Isn't that modeled now in the Workshop? There is a Wind checkbox there now - what exactly is the difference between that and "wind buffeting"?

I know I don't use the current wind setting as I read that it does not affect AI aircraft.

i'm also wondering what that means. i use the current windeffect and i like it.

my question is, does the new buffeting effect makes the FM permanently more dynamic, so you're experiencing more swings and small floatings (which would be great), which makes aiming tougher? i compare it like somebody standing upright in a small boat with a rifle aiming for something. the small movements of the boat and the freehanded aiming make shooting much harder. or is it more like it is now, just more often.

with permanently more dynamic i mean an effect, similar to the current incloud effect, just of course slower and softer, which would emulate normal turbulences during normal flight with a wood and canvas crate in the air. that would be awesome

Polovski: Buffeting here is wind that rapidly bursts and you feel it when flying, pushes the craft around some.

That should be what you mean, Creaghorn?

It would probably feel "right" to have wind gusts pushing you slightly this way or that when flying.

Riding a motorcycle in the city, with tall buildings forming "wind corridors", funnelling and increasing the wind speed, and restricting it to a narrow area...when you pass into an intersection, and it pushes you into the next lane, which may or may not be occupied...SCARY AS HELL!

Riding a motorcycle in the city, with tall buildings forming "wind corridors", funnelling and increasing the wind speed, and restricting it to a narrow area...when you pass into an intersection, and it pushes you into the next lane, which may or may not be occupied...SCARY AS HELL!

Try coming out of a mountain tunnel in an 18-wheeler into a strong crosswind that wasn't on the other side of the mountain. You're told in driving school to beware of this, but unless you happen to go to a school in such a location, you don't think it can be THAT bad yikes.gif.

But when I think of wind problems, I always remember trying to walk across my unit's position at night in Desert Storm. There was always like a 20-30 knot crosswind blowing so you had to walk leaned way over to the side. It was as dark as inside a cave due to the sky being obscured by smoke and no lights showing, so you never saw when you were walking into the lee of a a vehicle just a few feet away. Suddenly the wind would stop and you'd fall over sideways, unable to catch yourself because you're holding your compass to tell which way you're going. BOOM. So you pick yourself up, take a few more steps, get out of the vehicle's lee, and the wind blows you over again. Recover, walk a few more steps, and fall down in another lee. Over and over until you reached your destination, then the same again for the return trip. And tomorrow night it'll be the same thing, but in a different place with all the vehicles in different positions, so you can't memorize anything. That made for a long war.....

Polovski: Buffeting here is wind that rapidly bursts and you feel it when flying, pushes the craft around some.

That should be what you mean, Creaghorn?

if it is as i hope it is, that would be really awesome. IMHO the best feature in this new addon, even better than own AC.

@devs

please confirm it. pleeeaaase clapping.gif

The scenery looks fantastic, I am hoping that it will not slow fps down too much.

Try coming out of a mountain tunnel in an 18-wheeler into a strong crosswind that wasn't on the other side of the mountain. You're told in driving school to beware of this, but unless you happen to go to a school in such a location, you don't think it can be THAT bad yikes.gif.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah! Or coming out of the mountains onto the plains during a nasty crosswind of 50 to 60 kts. That'll wake ya' up if you're not payin' attention.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah! Or coming out of the mountains onto the plains during a nasty crosswind of 50 to 60 kts. That'll wake ya' up if you're not payin' attention.

I used to involuntarily "lane change" all the time in my 1971 VW Westfalia (aka bus, kombi, van). THAT was like driving a bill board--in fact, I think bill boards are heavier. Don't know why I'm still alive.

I was driving my 'bus' on a very windy day with a friend once who had a lot of experience in gliders. When we got pushed around he said it felt just the same.

Looking forward to the expansion! Thanks devs!!!

Now, the price on it isn't going to drop $20 a month or two after release, right?

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Now, the price on it isn't going to drop $20 a month or two after release, right?

It's $19.99 now!..It would mean they would give it to you...plus a dime!..hahahaha

It's $19.99 now!..It would mean they would give it to you...plus a dime!..hahahaha

Um, that would be a penny. :haha:

But you are from the UK, so I understand the confusion...

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I used to involuntarily "lane change" all the time in my 1971 VW Westfalia (aka bus, kombi, van). THAT was like driving a bill board--in fact, I think bill boards are heavier. Don't know why I'm still alive.

I was driving my 'bus' on a very windy day with a friend once who had a lot of experience in gliders. When we got pushed around he said it felt just the same.

Looking forward to the expansion! Thanks devs!!!

Think you're right on that one! Salute.gif At least with a full trash truck, the winds didn't bother me too much. But once I was full, I averaged about 6k to 10k over GVW, but that's because we didn't have anyway to weigh the truck to know what value we were at. And the office would have had a fit if I went to the dump too soon. But then they had a fit if you brought in overweight tickets too, so it was damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I knew too many backroads to get caught at the scales though.