Sign in to follow this  
Siggi

Hmm...can't install the expansion.

My OFF is on my D drive. Clearly the installer is looking on the C drive. I don't see any opportunity to redirect the install. Any way to get around this?

If I copy my OFF to the C drive, install the expansion, then copy OFF back to the D drive, will that work or will I trip over some registry issues?

Edited by Siggi

Hang on. I've my on D also. I'm still downloading it.

I'll report back soon. Very soon.

Hang on. I've my on D also. I'm still downloading it.

I'll report back soon. Very soon.

Hokay. >chewing fingernails< :grin:

Did you manually copy your OFF BH&H to that location ?

The installer looks for where the original was installed too, that's where it MUST go, it does not install to some other place.

No idea on the copying thing, it's not recommended or tested.

Sounds like your registry is saying you installed to C:

Make sure you are at 1.32G first too.

Didn't you have major trouble recently Siggi? What did you do to fix it? Maybe it's screwed from then.

Sounds like you may need to utterly clean out and install fresh.

Did you manually copy your OFF BH&H to that location ?

The installer looks for where the original was installed too, that's where it MUST go, it does not install to some other place.

No idea on the copying thing, it's not recommended or tested.

Sounds like your registry is saying you installed to C:

No, I didn't manually copy OFF to D, it was properly installed there.

I have a cunning plan...I shall put the expansion onto the D drive and try running it from there.

Nope, that didn't work (further confirming that Baldric is indeed a cretin).

Edited by Siggi

I'm sorry to say this Siggi but all went well.

I've installed from my storage drive F and installed it correctly in D.

My Win7 is in G.

I can do another experiment. I'll switch to my XP whic is on C and try if it installs correctly on D.

It will be just a couple of minutes.

Hang on.

Edited by Von Paulus

What the hell then? I was going to conclude this must be a Win7 issue, but you're running Win7 too.

The OFF update and hotfix found the install ok. :dntknw:

Did a reboot, still no joy.

I didn't have any problems on Win7 but Win7 is very fussy about where data goes. Try running the installer using the "run as admin" option Siggi?

Yeah Pol, I've had my E drive being lost by Win7 quite regularly, and my pagefile is on E. I think that when the pagefile becomes full Win7 doesn't clear it or something and 'loses' the entire drive. I had to reboot to find it again. I've now set Win7 to automatically handle the pagefile, instead of having a fixed lower and upper value. Not sure why any of that would pork the install of the expansion though, the registry is held in the OS on C drive surely.

I didn't have any problems on Win7 but Win7 is very fussy about where data goes. Try running the installer using the "run as admin" option Siggi?

Nope, no joy. Last option before doing a total reinstall of the game (and losing my current career, control configuration and ARGH!) is to copy OFF to C etc.

Will Mr. Gates' boys ever get it right?

My Win7 pagefile is fixed and is on C.

Look at the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\OFFManager

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1060284298-1788223648-725345543-1003\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\OFFManager

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OBD Software\Over Flanders Fields

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\OFF_P3_is1

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1060284298-1788223648-725345543-1003\Software\OBD Software\Over Flanders Fields

These seems the place where the registry helds the information where OFF is installed. I took it from XP but tree must be the same as in Win7.

By the way all went well also with XP. it installed correctly in D.

Bollocks, it doesn't see it on C either. Something is badly porked in my world of OFF. Thanks VP, I'll go have a shufti in the registry, maybe I can manually add any missing entries.

In the third line you've provided, OFF is there and shown as being on the D drive. I'm stumped.

Did you by any chance rename the default directory?

Nope, everything is a default install to D.

What should the directory be called, just in case it got changed on my rig somehow?

Edited by Siggi

The registry entry shows it as being on D.

The installer must get the information (I suppose) where OFF is installed from the registry.

If the paths are correct in the registry... that lefts me puzzled.

Try to look in the registry for more entries for offmanager.exe for example.

The installer must get the information (I suppose) where OFF is installed from the registry.

If the paths are correct in the registry... that lefts me puzzled.

Try to look in the registry for more entries for offmanager.exe for example.

I've done a search in the entire registry for OBD, every entry (and there are quite a few) come up as being in D.

I'm going to download the expansion again, maybe it became corrupted.

Edited by Siggi

If I were you I would do exactly what you've suggested in your first post.

Copy to C and then copy again to D.

I'd alter then the registry manually to D again.

I've been looking for ascii "OBDSoftware" (which is part of the folder name whre my off is installed) and found nothing important on the files.

So theoretically the only information where OFF is installed is the really the registry.

I'm going to download the expansion again, maybe it became corrupted.

I doubt it. It's zipped. If it was corrupted you couldn't have unzippped it.

I already tried copying it to C and running the install again, it made no difference. Just downloaded the expansion again, still no joy.

I guess the only thing left to do is uninstall OFF and reinstall it. Strike one against Win7, it's inability to maintain a coherent pagefile has to be what's caused this, the pagefile going down must have corrupted an OFF file or something. Thanks once again MS. :bomb:

Well like I've told it before my pagefile is fixed. The initial and the maximum size is 3071 and not 4606 as it is recommended. The system didn't held the 4606 value so I reduce it. It has been working well AFAIK.

My RAM is 4GB.

not sure if it finds the directory by a search, or by a registry entry but default directory is

obdsoftware\cfsww1 over flanders fields

if you happened to modify this when it was installed, and it is a registry item..then you have to navigate to the entry someone else posted..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OBD Software\Over Flanders Fields , and on the right hand side you will see offpath, and thats where its will be looking for the place to install

curious..what is the error message you get?

Edited by sitting_duck