Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

HITR First Impressions

Very early days of course, but someone had to start it!! :grin:

Ok... Easy Ordering, very straightforward...409MB Download..nice fast servers!...Brilliant...had it all done and dusted in less than 20 minutes!

New Pilot screens...very nice...

First major plus (and for me as a hobbyist skinner...worth the $20 on its own..) fantastic to see the fact you can have your own skin, without those wingies having it too!...adds hugely to the feeling of individuality!!...Now the enemy KNOW who the Widowmaker is!!!

So...let's have a look at some of the new Aircraft.... DH5 in QC freeflight (hey, I wanna try these kites out without getting shot to sh*t first guys!)...have to be honest..it was never high on my list of favourites, but I sat in the Cockpit..and straight away, I saw what the designers at De Havilland were thinking!...The forward and side visibility is superb!...turned my head slightly on takeoff..and noticed the strut! yep, I know what youre thinking... "So..it's a Strut"...Yes, it is...but a beautifully skinned strut!...the veneer and texture and detail is amazing!...who the hell would spend so much time skinning a damn Wingstrut?..oh yeah, hang on...this is OBD yeah?..Ok..silly question!...bloody amazing!

The Scenery detail has been reworked excellently...the trees have quite obviously been re-touched...and I am sure I shall spot more as I fly!...but this is like a donut!...you are hungry for more at the first bite...but you need to take a bit of time, and enjoy the sensation!

So...back to the planes!...Time to give the N28 a look.

The N28 is the opposite of the DH5 in terms of visability!...quite restrictive..though a more comfortable ride for the pilots of the time no doubt, with that windshield!...I will let the Yanks brief us about that one at length!...they have been very patient!! :drinks:

Now...last but not least of my early Foray!...Olham's favourite (whom he assures me, will cause a problem for me in my Camel..or indeed my Snipe (cheap plug there for Expansion pack 2 pleeaaassseee!)...The flying Razor!

Hmmm...What can I say?...It may only have one wing...but that one wing...is as thick as the Kaiser himself!!....but it is FAST!...and the Yaw on it is frightening!!!.... I am sure it will be a very unpleasant opponent...and a lethal friend, if you fly for the German Air Service!

I haven't noticed any change in the 'sudden death' animation however...and cannot see any reference to it in Workshop?..Has it been dropped I wonder?...Or am I missing something?...I also need to delve a bit deeper into the wind noise too..as it must be turned down in my setup.

Like I say...still very early days, but I am thrilled by what I have seen so far, and I am sure others will have their own views / Observations..which I await with interest!...but a great addon, in the usual way, we have come to enjoy from the guys of BHaH and OBD

Lot's to see and try...let's go fly! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

i downloaded it, installed it, everything went perfectly.

i'm very impressed by the buffeting effect. that's exactly what i was waiting for. now landing and aiming and flying itself is much more realistic and more fun. very exellent job.wow.good.gif

first i tried some QC. this sudden death is still there as long as i found out.

then i jumped into my campaign and two things i found out.

i run into a bunch if nieuports, but they haven't been very agressive. was rather easy to outturn them and shoot the enemy down.

after that i did not get a claimform though the replay said i shot him down.

maybe just a coincidence since that with the claimform happened to others before.

nonetheless i tried a QC against an ace but he also wasn't aggressive. it had more of the lack of agressivenes of RB3d.

did you reduce the attackmode of AI or was it just coincidentally that i run into a bunch of rookies? since i know that AI of QC isn't quite good anyway i won't take it as a measurement.

Awesome!! It seems like only yesterday folks were saying HitR would be out in "two weeks". :P

As for my first impressions, they are generally very good. The scenery looks better than ever. The new planes are incredible and it's going to take time to learn their flight characteristics. A great new challenge and even more variety in the skies to be sure. I will have to second the opinion that in QC the enemy AI seems to lack aggressive manuevers. I have tried several QC flights and it doesn't seem to matter which aircraft or on which side, even when set to Ace mode, they just aren't as aggressive as they once were. Not nearly as many evasive manuevers and they don't seem as keen to get on my tail. Having said that, this is OBD. If it turns out to be a fluke, it'll pass. If it turns out to have been an accidental "nerf" to the AI, I am quite sure they will fix it. I love the backdrop screens for each nation too. A nice immersion factor. I am a huge fan of OFF and I am definately pleased I downloaded the expansion pack. It's a wonderful pre-Christmas gift. If they correct the AI, I'd give it a 90% (I wish they could have added more than 1 bosche plane, but then again, it really is the American expansion so that probably isn't a fair request). Until they get the AI straightened out, it's 7 out of 10 since, let's face it...the AI combat is what makes the difference between a WWI flight sim and a WWI Combat flight sim. Given OBD's track record of making things the best and supporting their products, I have zero doubts about them lighting a fire under those enemy AI in short order.

Hellshade

We didn't make any changes to AI, but of course in PC land who knows. AI is good here.

What skill are they in the QC mission in

\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\missions\historical\OFF_QC_Mission.xml ?

Hellshade send the mission and also your offlog.txt from \CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\campaigndata folder.

Thanks

I've just have my first nocturnal flight. Lovely.

The skies and ground seem different for better. The flak a lot better. More immersive than ever.

Unfortunately didn't enjoy much the wind noise or the buffeting effect, they didn't seem very real to me.

As for the AI I haven't yet formed my opinion.

I'm really enjoying. Well worth the money.

Thanks to the devs. Keep the expansions coming. You're just creating the best WWI sim ever. :good:

as long as i found out AI tries very hard to stay above you and keep the height. he's not running to the desk anymore. his movements seem to be less starwarsish. looks really good and more like original footage and less cgi hollywood. additionally with the buffeting it's hard to get a good shot at him. i love it.

downside might be, they don't turn very tight and early to get you anymore after passing them. that might give the impression they are not as aggressive as before. maybe it only looks like because he tries to stay higher and the dogfights are more taking place in high altitude, and both abilities to turnfight are more affected because of thinner air.

Edited by Creaghorn

additionally with the buffeting it's hard to get a good shot at him. i love it.

I agree. I'm not against the buffeting effect. Only at this stage it doesn't look/seem natural. Maybe this can be improved.

Is it unnatural or just something we are not yet accustomed to? I need to more time to form an opinion myself but I will be happily forming one.

Great job, guys. Easy download & install. Runs flawlessly. In fact, I just got a 30% bump in FPS with all of that great new eye candy. Love the buffeting effects and tracer effects. No complaints about the AI here...still difficult to take down opponents, but managed to in my first QC flight. Don't have time to write more. Must fly!

Does the buffeting vary in intensity according to the type of weather? I've only flown in driving snow so far, and for that it did seem quite appropriate. But if it's the same intensity in all weather I'm going to switch the wind off completely. I nearly had my plane slammed into the ground as I landed, which is believable in the foul weather in which I was flying, but will not be acceptable on a nice sunny day.

Did you guys fix the sound of other planes too, or did I have a glitch previously? Their noise now fades in gradually instead of coming on suddenly like a switch had been thrown. It's a very nice change. :good:

Oh yeah, and the blue triangles have gone again, after rearing their ugly heads in the first mission I flew after installing HITR. Must be some sort of new-install texture-caching thing going on.

as long as i found out AI tries very hard to stay above you and keep the height. he's not running to the desk anymore. his movements seem to be less starwarsish. looks really good and more like original footage and less cgi hollywood. additionally with the buffeting it's hard to get a good shot at him. i love it.

downside might be, they don't turn very tight and early to get you anymore after passing them. that might give the impression they are not as aggressive as before. maybe it only looks like because he tries to stay higher and the dogfights are more taking place in high altitude, and both abilities to turnfight are more affected because of thinner air.

That is exactly what I noticed about the AI. No more diving for the deck with crazy twists and turns. They keep altitude and make wide circles. If they haven't changed the AI as Pol says, then I can't account for it. It's definately a different enemy in the air.

The buffeting is awesome.

Hellshade

We didn't make any changes to AI, but of course in PC land who knows. AI is good here.

What skill are they in the QC mission in

\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\missions\historical\OFF_QC_Mission.xml ?

Hellshade send the mission and also your offlog.txt from \CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\campaigndata folder.

Thanks

In QC Germany Skill=3. I didn't fly any campaign missions yet.

Hellshade

In QC Germany Skill=3. I didn't fly any campaign missions yet.

Hellshade

I do not see where I can make custom skins for my ace. This is pissing me off!!! Where is this feature at? I got an ahole with 42 confirmed kills and I have been wating for this feature to make him a skin!

Edited by appraiserfl

The wind buffet should vary according to the weather as does the loudness of the wind effect.

appraiserfl the Personal skin feature - the feature is to assign your pilot a unique skin - and all other squadmates have the squad skin. Something previously impossible in single player.

In campaign menu, click "Personal Skin"... choose from one of the many supplied authentic skins, or make you own.

However to make/design a personal skin needs a decent graphics package, and a tool to convert to DDS, such as the free NVidia DDS plugins - not something we can simply add to OFF.

First impressions are GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGreat! Nice job guys! Nice job! drinks.gif

Being an American, I can say zat zee Neiuport 28, ist a very nice aeroplane! To shoot down!

Ach du lieber! I just took an AlbIII up against the DH-5, (2 of us vs 3 of them, tried to be fair!) and as I was lining up on meat on a plate, I got a knife in the back! DH-5 #3 was being VERY aggressive toward me in a rather unpleasant manner! Was able to land my conking engine crate in a field...

AI seems to be distinctly mean to me! Back for more! TALLYHO!

Graphicly it seems to me that the airfields and trees and overall terrain looks more true to life and detailed. Love the details in the DH5 struts and textures. The buffetting requires more active flying not just pointing the plane and relaxing. The Brit flak seems whiter to me. I have much more to see but I continue to like what I've seen so far.

HITR .... Terrific update all around guys!!!

Love the wind noise and in the "watch what you wish for area"...flew in two rain storms..the wind buffeting effect made the a/c difficult to handle as it should and actually made me woosey/dizzy! Terrain looks great as well.

OFF is quite a bit more immersive and keeps getting better and better!!

Regards,

Royce

I agree! HITR is top notch. I took an N11 up in a January snowstorm as well as a sunny August day and found the wind effects to be quite what I would have expected for the weather. I also like the wind noise and how it builds in a dive. I too have noticed the AI staying high and not immediately diving down upon engagement, almost like they are more wary, but still very aggresive. The new trees and scenery tweaks are outstanding. I also experienced the dreaded white triangles upon first installing the new pack. However, after I flew a couple of missions, defragmented my drive, and ran my cache cleaner, it pretty much settled back down. I did turn up the overclocking on my CPU and memory sticks just a tad more though as I still got the odd jaggy bit now on then on a quick snap of the head, so perhaps the new scenery does pull a little more memory than before. Nothing I wasn't able to adjust out so all is great here.

Big thumbs up to the devs once again!

good.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Does the install of the xpack require adjustments to controlls/graphics, like reinstalling does?

I dont have time right now to play OFF, much less to try to figure out how I had things set up if it happens to tweak/alter my settings, but I would like to get the update.

Been so long since I tweaked everything, that I cant remember what I tweaked to get it running great lol

BuB,

I didn't have to do any adjustments at all to my settings. Everything went really smoothly from purchasing to installing and then of course flying. Couldn't be any easier than this, IMO.

The wind effects are much improved over what they used to be. This should make shooting down enemies more challenging and reduce those unrealistic "I shot 7 fighters down today!" combat reports that are far too common here. I just hope the AI planes use the same rules as we humans.

OFF is steadily getting better and better. This expansion pack made the sim absolutely the best one available on the market anywhere. :ok:

I've just paid by Paypal. Waiting for my email download notification. Can't wait!:grin:

I just hope the AI planes use the same rules as we humans.

When I press F4 and have an exterior camera of my plane I see the wind effect on the plane. But I do not see this happening with the camera set to an AI.

Even normal wind does not effect AI in CFS3 or OFF currently and not in many other sims either. We can look to see what is possible for P4.

Wind effects on AI will take up a lot more CPU processes, sometimes in a sim you have to compromise some things for the sake of sanity and performance.

Wind effects on AI will take up a lot more CPU processes, sometimes in a sim you have to compromise some things for the sake of sanity and performance.

I understand that Pol. Besides, in the end, that's not really so important.