Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

How do I make custom skins for my ace in HIR

Go to the Campaign menu with your active pilot. Under the Aircraft Type it says personal skin. There are a bunch there to choose from depending on the type of plane, and how many squadrons were alocated that particular type.

Go to the Campaign menu with your active pilot. Under the Aircraft Type it says personal skin. There are a bunch there to choose from depending on the type of plane, and how many squadrons were alocated that particular type.

I was under the impression that there would be a user friendly application where we could simply design our own skin. I was anticipating an application like Red Baron had. What a giant disappointment.

Edited by appraiserfl

It's not so simple as you might think. There is a subforum full of information if you want to actually create a skin. http://forum.combatace.com/forum/212-off-photoshop-and-paint-shop-help-for-skinning-and-3d-modeling/ It can be very involved so it is not something that OBD could just have as part of the HITR add-on. The reference to being able to use unique user made skins pertained to the fact that when you choose a skin of any sort your plane will be the only plane in your sgaud with those markings. Previously all non-ace skins in your flight looked just like you.

It's not so simple as you might think. There is a subforum full of information if you want to actually create a skin. http://forum.combata...nd-3d-modeling/ It can be very involved so it is not something that OBD could just have as part of the HITR add-on. The reference to being able to use unique user made skins pertained to the fact that when you choose a skin of any sort your plane will be the only plane in your sgaud with those markings. Previously all non-ace skins in your flight looked just like you.

Yes I will have to check that out. I was hoping that there would be the easy way for us lazy idiots. The game seems to run much better, smoother, even with the same amount of frames as before!

what they said.... but posting the same question 4 times isn't going to get you a different answer.... patience my friend...

If you ask nicely, someone (not me, I can't draw a straight line) may volunteer to create a personalized skin for you.

HAHAHA.. well I'm a lazy idiot and following the information that I and Burning Beard pointed you to I was able to make a crappy skin. Others, like Burning Beard, are much better. See Beards Showbird Spads in the Skins download section, wonderful stuff. We have over 4,000 skins to use now I think.

what they said.... but posting the same question 4 times isn't going to get you a different answer.... patience my friend...

Yes it was my bad, I twas frustrated, thought I was missing something.

Hi appraiserfl

I'm not the best skinner on the forum by a long chalk..but will make you a skin if you like?

pm me if interested :drinks:

Am I just in a dull mood, that it annoys me, that some people always find something disappointing,

instead of being excited? Maybe my December mood...

Could be your December mood Olham; grey days can make for grey ways. I myself am in just way too good a mood at the moment with the HITR now available to enjoy. appraiserfl, don't get annoyed, just dig in over at the paint help forum and give a yell when you get stuck. You have lots of folks around here who can lend a hand. Look at it all as a new adventure rather than a frustration. Or to put it in the vernacular of the hip hops..."Don't be hatin"

biggrin.gif

Got me by the short and curlies, do you still think you are playing Red Baron ? dntknw.gif

Woooaaahhh easy there Uncleal, that thar Red Baron be sacred gaming ground ye scalewag :drinks:

Edited by appraiserfl

Unfortunately it's not a tiny 256 colour bitmap anymore like RB, we need a full featured graphics packed to make proper custom skins. But there are 4000 skins in there now so I'm sure there's a couple you might like off the shelf for most craft.

Is it possible to add user generated skins in the aircraft folder? Will it show up for selection?

nbryant, user made skins go into the skins folder. It happens all the time. Why here's one now

post-45792-12606618625272.jpg

There are some 4,000 official skins made by the OFF team and in the CombatAce skins download area there are many more user modified/made skins. When placed in the skins folder all are flyable. There are no A/I only aircraft either.

rickity.... gonna have tp sepend time working on some. Have a number of templates for sports, avatars, etc, but those I modded from others offerings. This will be virgin turf.

Guest British_eh

Nice Skin Rickitycrate! Hey "appraiserfl", it will only take you about 3 hours to make your own skin! | Then you can have exactly what you want. Paint.net is free, Martin Wright's file converter, is as is all you need.

Cheers,

British_eh

appraiserfl, get yourself the freeware "DXTBmp" - with that you can browse through the skins.

The are here:

(Your game folder) > Campaigns > Campaign data > skins

Click on a skin, and you see it - that way you will definitely find one of 4.000 skins, that you like.

Also, you can convert a skin with this program into a 24 bit bitmap, which you can now paint in

in a paint program.

When you are ready, convert it back to .dds format and into that skins folder.

Edited by Olham