Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Question about download

When I make a download attempt, and it fails for some reason (I have an old

Win98 rig for my web activities) - can AVANGATE see that I didn't receive it fully?

Can I make a new attempt, without getting their additional 8,40 USD download insurance?

You have 3 attempts by default - use a download manager. I used firefox wth the downthemall extension. Worked like a charm

Okay, I did the whole thing including the insurance - that's a little more than 23,- Euro altogether.

The download was pretty fast even on my old rig (I use Firefox).

Now one more question: can that be right, that a total of over 400 MB is zipped to little more than 10 MB.

Ohlam:

The zip file I downloaded was 418,906 KB. When I extracted it, the file was 429,080 KB.

Tony

I think it did that to me also, the first time if downloaded it in came out way to small and I had an invalid index er sumpin. Downloaded it a second time and got the whole thing without a problem.

Good Luck

Beard

The file size is 409MB (428,958,853 bytes). If you get a smaller one it did not download properly.

Often the counter does not go down if you have the File download link window still open you can sometimes try again -worth keeping it that way until you are happy it's downloaded OK.

At the third attempt, I got it full size. It's installed and working!

More tomorrow.

Along the lines of downloading....

Forgive me, I am slow.

If one purchases HITR (which I will), and does not opt for the insurance thing, what happens if the download does not correctly come thru the first time? Do I understand correctly that you get 3 attempts?

Also, if, later on down the way, one suffers some sort of PC issue (which invariably occurs), and must do a complete re-install of CFS and/or BHAH, will one be able to also re-install HITR as long as it is still on one's hard drive? Can I save the download onto a CD or USB drive for future use, just in case the undesirable occurs?

Thanks

Also, if, later on down the way, one suffers some sort of PC issue (which invariably occurs), and must do a complete re-install of CFS and/or BHAH, will one be able to also re-install HITR as long as it is still on one's hard drive? Can I save the download onto a CD or USB drive for future use, just in case the undesirable occurs?

Thanks

That's a very good question!

Of course you can reinstall it if you have the file still.

You only need insurance if you think you might lose it at some point.

This is causing me some apprehension here,

I have just tried to download and the first download stopped at 313mb

The second has stopped at 386mb

I have one attempt left. What happens if i don't get the full 409 on the third attempt?

I find this not very good at all. I have paid money here.

This is causing me some apprehension here,

I have just tried to download and the first download stopped at 313mb

The second has stopped at 386mb

I have one attempt left. What happens if i don't get the full 409 on the third attempt?

I find this not very good at all. I have paid money here.

If you fail on the third attempt (can happen) then simply let us know through support@overflandersfields.com, quote your name and order number, and we will enable a further 3 downloads!

No one will be in a situation where they don't get the file - we will make sure of that.

HTH

WM

FB, don't use IE to download. (not even Firefox's download manager) Download a separate download manager application. Or if you have a linux platform use the "wget" command which is very stable as everything in linux (unlike Windows... *cough cough*)

Edited by Gous

If you fail on the third attempt (can happen) then simply let us know through support@overflandersfields.com, quote your name and order number, and we will enable a further 3 downloads!

No one will be in a situation where they don't get the file - we will make sure of that.

HTH

WM

thanks for that re-assurance.

One tip for your ordering Europeans: let the price be shown in Euro; there is a choice for that.

Now you can see, what "Hat in the Ring" costs, and then click the insurance box, and now you

see, what that would cost (23,- Euro and something it was).

Then it's your decision. I chose the insurance, cause I tried downloading with an old system

and old version of Firefox. It failed twice.

Then I got my new rig set up for internet access, and did it with that (new Firefox version).

This time - my third attempt - it worked straight away.

So you can use Winder's offer of help, to make sure you get the version definitely,

or you spend a little more, and have the chance to download it again over two years.

Hope that helps to clear things for you.

thanks for that re-assurance.

Remember the Internet can easily crap out so a download manager that can auto reconnect is very important when downloading large files.

Without a good download manager I doubt you will ever get the file... esp true here in SA and I am sure many parts of the world.....

WM

I also had two faulty downloads using IE. Gous, can you recommend a good download manager? I want to keep IE as my browser; is there a download manager that keeps IE intact?

Well the update is that I've managed to download it on the fifth attempt.!

What was od was that before i started the thrid attempt, the Avangate site said I still had two attempts available. This must have been so, because the third attempt got to 34.7mb and stopped.

As it was saying I had two attempts still, ( I wonder if their site must not count incomplete downloads? ) I had another go. As Winder so succinctly puts it (lol) it crapped out at 187mb.

The fifth attempt achieved success.

Before the thrid attempt i had downloaded something from another site - Avsim- and that download went as sweet as a nut, thus reinforcing my belief that maybe Avangate needs a "bigger engine"-lol

Anyway, thanks again for the reassurance from Winder.

Yes as I said the download link window will sometimes not increase the number if you leave it open until you have a successful download.

There no specific info that says it's definitely Avangate themselves. If others get it OK and some don't then it suggests internet routing too, or other issues.

My download failed on my old system twice, but worked, when I did it on the new rig with just new Firefox - no additional download manager.

Stickshaker,

I have been using GetRight the past few years and like it. Supports multiple downloads at the same time and will search for other sites with the same file name.