Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

Major Install Issues HitR

I think I've finally got them sorted but...

After purchasing and downloading the HITR add on, I ran into some serious installation issues. I'm certainly no newbie to installing software so I was surprised when I encountered the following issues while trying to install a simple game add on:

Endless hard disk grinding which locked up my entire system and crashed.

Windows 7 rebooting and then announcing that it was not a genuine version of Windows (even though I purchased it directly from Microsoft)

Rebooting in Safe mood just to delete the unzipped add on exe as any attempt to even click on it in normal mode locked the the system and repeated the first two problems.

Attempting to download the file again only to encounter the same issues.

Rebooting in safe mode to install the add on, I had no luck doing so in normal mode.

Every lock up required a hard reboot as well, something I haven't had to do since my Windows 98 days.

I think I've got everything sorted out now but damn, I need a drink. I have no idea why this caused so many problems, I've never had any issues with OBD software in the past but really guys, I wanted to ask for my money back for several hours this afternoon. I believe it had something to do with the file being zipped. It doesn't seem to save much space compressing the file and uncompressing it - be it in WinRAR or WinZip or just Windows 7, locked up the computer every single time.

Good add on so far, but next time, do you mind not scaring me to death the night before I have a graduate research paper due? :heat:

I meant to ask at the end of the previous post - has anyone else had any similar experiences with the download? I can't seem to figure out what caused this install to go so pear shaped. I'm also having issues with the AI at this point as well. I've tried adjusting my sliders, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get them to dogfight each other anymore. They circle each other rather calmly and never fire.

Sorry guys, I'm just frustrated. I had a beautiful OFF install running and having a blast. I snagged the add on as an early x-mas present and I just can't seem to get good results...

I had murders getting the expansion's install to see my OFF install. It wasn't until I re-installed OFF and it's patches over itself that the expansion would install. But I figure this was due to my OFF being corrupted by previous hardware issues I had.

In your case, I'd say something that came in the Zip was so badly corrupted it freaked Win7 out.

I had murders getting the expansion's install to see my OFF install. It wasn't until I re-installed OFF and it's patches over itself that the expansion would install. But I figure this was due to my OFF being corrupted by previous hardware issues I had.

In your case, I'd say something that came in the Zip was so badly corrupted it freaked Win7 out.

Cappy, I'm going to go with what Siggi is saying. Sounds like the download went really bad! I think you have more time to download the file. Do it again, if not contact us via the support email and ask if you can get another copy of HitR.

OvS

Sorry you had trouble Catfish but we have many people installed fine with no issues, it IS a very simple installer and we cannot make it any more simple or easier!

What you personally experienced is not something we can make better as no one else had Windows 7 freak out as far as we know. Welcome to PC land!

As Siggi and OvS suggest PC's do odd things for a million reasons, top of my head; maybe there was a fault (corruption whatever) already on that area on the drive, maybe AV or some other program threw a fit maybe some other component or software didn't like it and so on. Could be a corrupted download or anything.

There's a warning on the BUY page that mentions that very fact.

Zip is a pretty darn standard file globally used by millions everyday and that has been used by many so it's not that either.

Cappy, I'm going to go with what Siggi is saying. Sounds like the download went really bad! I think you have more time to download the file. Do it again, if not contact us via the support email and ask if you can get another copy of HitR.

OvS

I think you're right James. It looked like something went a bit wonky with the file as it decompressed. Every time it got to about 98% and the hard drive went berserk. I've used up 2 downloads out of my alotted 3 so far, so I'll give it one last go using a different browser (maybe it's Firefox doing something odd so I'll use the straight vanilla IE8). If it still goes wrong I'll shoot you an email with a copy of my sale and we'll go from there. Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

You know me James, I don't normally complain about computer files, I spent many hours growing up fidgeting with various RB patches and zip files, half of which were never compatible with the others. It has to be something unusually frustrating before I start venting. I have a class to TA later this morning, but this evening I'll see if I can give the download another try.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

I think you're right James. It looked like something went a bit wonky with the file as it decompressed. Every time it got to about 98% and the hard drive went berserk. I've used up 2 downloads out of my alotted 3 so far, so I'll give it one last go using a different browser (maybe it's Firefox doing something odd so I'll use the straight vanilla IE8). If it still goes wrong I'll shoot you an email with a copy of my sale and we'll go from there. Fingers crossed it won't come to that.

You know me James, I don't normally complain about computer files, I spent many hours growing up fidgeting with various RB patches and zip files, half of which were never compatible with the others. It has to be something unusually frustrating before I start venting. I have a class to TA later this morning, but this evening I'll see if I can give the download another try.

Maybe try a fresh new copy of your Zip program too, just in case that's been buggered by something.

Maybe try a fresh new copy of your Zip program too, just in case that's been buggered by something.

Good idea Siggi, I'll give that a go as well. Fingers crossed! :salute:

Also 1 thing, sometimes you can run a program from inside the zip -i.e. open it in winzip or winrar etc, then double click (this then uses temp area and unpacks as it tries to run). So if you didn't unpack to a folder do that instead. i.e. unpack to a folder, go to the folder and run the file. Also try Winzip, or WinRar to do this if you are using windows' built-in zip reading instead - with Winrar you can choose Test archive option to verify the zip first.

Alright guys...

I've run checkdisk on the hard drive, I've redownloaded the file in IE8, I've installed a new version of Winzip and I even tested the file in WinRAR. Everything came back clean.

That said, I still cannot open the file and whenever I attempt to, the process gets to about 98%, the disk goes berserk, and I have to hard reboot. I'm fast running out of patience. I've also tried running the file from within the archive with the same results, no good. I've worked with plenty of zip files on this machine, so I know they work, but for some reason, this add on does not play nice with my computer.

Any ideas?

Alright guys...

I've run checkdisk on the hard drive, I've redownloaded the file in IE8, I've installed a new version of Winzip and I even tested the file in WinRAR. Everything came back clean.

That said, I still cannot open the file and whenever I attempt to, the process gets to about 98%, the disk goes berserk, and I have to hard reboot. I'm fast running out of patience. I've also tried running the file from within the archive with the same results, no good. I've worked with plenty of zip files on this machine, so I know they work, but for some reason, this add on does not play nice with my computer.

Any ideas?

Try taking manual control of your pagefile (and give it a couple of gig).

Also try taking one stick of RAM out for each new attempt.

Hi CaptSopwith.

I have Win7 (64 bit) on my desktop and Win7 (32 bit) on my laptop.

The desktop is my gaming machine and HiTR installed perfectly...though I ran it as an administrator just to avoid any issues.

Same applied when I (just to see if I could replicate your issue) installed it on my laptop...Worked just fine (though the integrated graphics cards can't run it as more than a pretty slideshow).

I'd say Win7 is not the issue.

Good luck in getting it resolved.

Maxik.

Hi CaptSopwith.

Can you tell us about your rig (CPU, OS, Ram, Spare drive space, Anti Virus program etc)?

From your description it either sounds like you got a corrupt download (though I know WinRAR says it's clean) or possibly a full/damaged hard drive.

Schnitzel Von Krumms comment about trying to extract to a USB drive seems good to me. I'd definitely echo his advice.

I'd also recommend you try another download (perhaps direct to a USB drive or to another folder so that you can compare whether your two downloads are identical)

Failing that : The other thing I'd recommend is trying to disable your virus guard when trying to unzip the file. Lots of us have scanned the file and it's clean but it could be your anti-virus software kicking it and mistakenly thinking the program is a virus.

(For example: I use Kapersky anti-virus 8.0 and that software refuses to let me install/run Overlord 2 despite other Anti-Virus software saying that Overlord 2 is clean)

Keep with it - The expansion is definitely worth the time/money.

Can you tell us about your rig (CPU, OS, Ram, Spare drive space, Anti Virus program etc)?

From your description it either sounds like you got a corrupt download (though I know WinRAR says it's clean) or possibly a full/damaged hard drive.

Yeah, the hard lock with Win7 concerns me a bit. That's pretty hard to do without a serious underlying hardware issue. I would guess it's memory related, either with bad RAM or maybe a page file problem, like being nearly out of disk space so the page file can't expand enough to give you enough virtual memory.

Without knowing more about your system I'm only guessing, but prolonged disk thrashing could be causing your drive to overheat, which might cause a lock up. The most likely cause of the disk thrashing would be either an anti-virus program scanning the fairly large file, or your computer using the page file because of insufficient memory.

If you could check how much disk space and memory you have, that might help us to figure it out.

And, just because I'm a paranoid sort, have you got a backup of your grad paper and such, just in case?

I use Windows 7 64 bit no issues with it, and many others do too, so it's not Win 7 per se.

AV or some other issue, check your ram and system (see the FAQ for tips). New RAM doesn't mean it's not damaged or some other issue.

Save to a new location too, preferably a new drive. Disable firewall and AV and any other apps like that and run offline (unplug internet).

Pol,

I just did a fresh download on a fresh install of Windows 7. The file decompresses just fine until there is about 5 seconds remaining, and then the entire system locks up again. In the event it actually unzips the file, the exe locks up the system before I can even open it. Simply right-clicking on it to run it as an administrator is enough to crash my entire system. I've been able to get the install to start once - at which point my security software (Microsoft Security Essentials) turned off and Windows crashed yet again. I've done nothing to this system that would cause such an issue. I've run every diagnostic utility I can and I've even blanked the hard drive out and started all over, just to make absolutely sure there was nothing else on my end. Is it possible that MSE is causing this headache? If not, then I'm out of ideas. My only problem is that I can't seem to shut MSE off unless I boot in safe mode.

I can only conclude that something about Microsoft Security Essentials does not like this file for whatever reason. I could get it to install in safe mode - but I wasn't sure if the install was complete. Is anyone else running MSE? If I install BitR in Safe Mode, will all of the files install correctly? Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Yeah was just going to say "security software (Microsoft Security Essentials)" red alarm bells started ringing the moment I read that line, before reading the rest of your post ;)

Never used it but that would be my very first thought if you'd have said that at the start ;). Not sure re Safemode you can try, or check with MS how to disable MSE first.

I cannot believe that downloading a zip file unzipping and running the standard OFF patch installer (same as all patches to date) can give someone so much hassle...

I am speechless.

Please be aware there is no problem with the zip file, nor the installer...for HitR

HTH

WM

Cappy,

It's definately your rig. Find out how to turn off that MSE software and remove it if possible. I swear the more bundled software that comes with these new PC's the more issues users have.

I build my own, so I run everything barebones with all the free AV's and Firewall software out there. Proven to work every time.

If not, like has been mentioned, up the page file, pull memory sitcks... etc.

It's not the patch.

all the best little buddy, we're hangin' with ya!

James

'OvS'

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. I've finally got a few days off and I've been working on the problem. I think I've got it sorted.

If I boot the PC into safe mode I can easily unzip and install the file, no worries. It looks like safe mode in Win 7 has MSE turned off, so at this point, I'm ready to say that that's the cause of the problems.

James, ironically enough, I went with MSE because it's such a lightweight, small anti-virus/anti-malware program. I had used AVAST until about two months ago when I upgraded to 7. I figured if Microsoft might be able to best protect their own operating system (that was probably not the smartest conclusion ever...). MSE so far has been great - light on resources (using a whole 4mb of ram) doesn't interfer with my games, etc. That is until I tried to unpack HitR. I've had no issues with zip files on this system so far, and I've been doing a lot of patching on some of my older racing sims lately so I've been unpacking plenty of files. When I reinstall a system, I go for light and efficient. Nothing runs in the background that doesn't need to.

It has to be MSE, I have no other logical conclusion for the issue. I've ruled out just about everything else - including doing a fresh reformat and install on the HD just to rule out everything else.

Whew... now I can actually do some flying. I'm looking forward to a patch for the AI, they seem a bit... laid back. But for now, I'm just glad the game is running at all.

Hi Capt - Great to hear that you resolved it.

Also very useful to know that MSE has an issue with HiTR. You're probably the first to experience it but I doubt you'll be the last - so at least the community are aware.

Happy flying,

Maxik.