Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Guns Reloaded. New, Fluke, or Always Been There?

Good Morning All,

So, I was flying an N28 with the 147 south of the Argonne Forest in June of 1918. I had become separated from my flight and as I approached the mud I encounterd five DVII-F's co-alt at about 11,000'. I engaged the top most and after about 100 rounds he burst into flames and started down. I then went after two more that were maneuvering onto my six, and managed to get bursts into both and drove them below me but did not put them out of commission. Started in on another and was pelting him from about 75 yards out when I went bingo on ammo, (not a jam). Messed around with shift-J and shift-C commands simply to see if I would get a refill with the new kite but no to that, which is as it should be, (empty is empty). Deciding that discretion was the better part of valour in this instance I dove to the nearest Allied aerodrome to set down and gain some cover from the MG's, and three of the Hun chased me all the way. I landed and coasted up near a hanger for cover, killed my engine, then sat and let the boys on the ground have at 'em, which they did. The enemy did not leave right away but instead made a pass or two on my bus as I sat on the field, (but the cheeky devils did not hit me). Out of frustration I pulled the trigger and "BANG", I had ammo again! Immediately restarted, took off and re-engaged the EA, sending one down at the end of the runway. I was very suprised. I tried to duplicate the reload by going to my next mission and flying about running short bursts until empty, then landed and waited for the guns to reload, but I could not get it to happen again. Perhaps there needs to be hostile aircraft in the immediate area, or perhaps it was a fluke. Anyone else ever have this happen, or is this a new treat from our grand and glorious devs?

Cheers!

Lou

never happened......but then again never looked for it or expected it...always assumed, like you, that empty was empty. hope you're right....that'd be great to be rearmed at a friendly field and carry on....I watch this thread for sure .......merry everything to all

or is this a new treat from our grand and glorious devs?

Maybe it's a fluke like you call it. But it would be a nice feature to have a reloading and a refilling capabilities when landing in the aerodromes.

Are you sure it was not a gun jam? Cause that gets cleared after a while,

I had that often; when they jam, I pull the trigger again and again, and

after some time, guns fire.

Perhaps you cick on the blue text with the HUD next time - it will tell you

how much ammo there is left.

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention that Olham. I did, and I was empty. I then dropped the HUD back down. Now, if I hadn't been so surprised I would have thought to pull it back up after I had ammo again to see what it said. But I was just so darned happy that I took off and starting banging away again like an idiot with a hammer.

crazy.gif

"Mongo like more bullets."

"that'd be great to be rearmed at a friendly field and carry on.."

Lordy, my eyes must be tired. I read that as 'reamed' instead of 'rearmed'. That's a level of immersion that would make me shudder.

RAF_Louvert: But I was just so darned happy that I took off and starting banging away again

like an idiot with a hammer. "Mongo like more bullets."

:rofl::good::rofl::lol:

Edited by Olham

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention that Olham. I did, and I was empty. I then dropped the HUD back down. Now, if I hadn't been so surprised I would have thought to pull it back up after I had ammo again to see what it said. But I was just so darned happy that I took off and starting banging away again like an idiot with a hammer.

crazy.gif

"Mongo like more bullets."

That would be brilliant to have a re- load facility, but if betting, my money would be on that you jammed earlier and then it freed.-lol

But I'd love to lose the bet!

Edited by Fortiesboy

The other day I got a new X52 joystick and was writing a profile for it. So I got in QC, hit ESC, opened the controls menu, and started writing down all the keys for the various controls. While scrolling down the command list, I noticed for the 1st time that the game has a number of commands to "refill" weapons. These cover MGs, cannons, bombs, etc., and probably fuel, too. Check them out.

I never played CFS3 itself so I can't be sure, but certainly these commands appear to exist specifically to re-arm your plane during a continuing mission. I expect they were intended primarily for MP games, but I can see them being useful in Battle of Britain-type historical missions.

Anyway, the game engine appears to support hot re-arms, and I would assume this would work by stopping at an airfield and hitting the "refill" commands. Given this, I'd say what happened here was that, while you were on the ground hitting keys at random, you serendipitously hit the "refill MGs" command, and thus got more ammo.

Well, please report, Bullethead, when that works.

Could be BH. As I mentioned in my initial post I had hit the shift-J and shift-C commands earlier in battle. It would be sweet if it were so simple as landing, hitting a command, and being able to go again.

I've just repeated and yes the plane seemed rearmed again after stoping near the hangar.

Only pressed shift-J and shift C before landing.

I've just repeated and yes the plane seemed rearmed again after stoping near the hangar.

Cool...so does this only work on the ground at a friendly hanger?

That's good news :).

I've been looking into this some and I definitely misremembered a lot of details....

There is only 1 "refill" command, and it's for ordnance. If you started with more than 1 type, you select each one and refill it individually. There are no commands to refuel or reload gun ammo. Therefore, these must happen automatically.

Being too pressed for time to do a lot of experiementing, I checked around on the web to see how folks did things in CFS3. Here's what I found out:

1. As originally released, CFS3 airfields didn't rearm your plane like in CFS2. Instead, you set yourself for unlimited ammo. But to avoid being stuck with the weight of bombs all the time, they introduced the "refill selected ordnance" command as described above, so you could get bombs again if you wanted them.

2. Any rearming that happens in OFF therefore has to be the result of something OBD did.

Given that there are apparently no commands to reload your guns, it now appears that this happens automatically if your plane is in the correct place at the airfield. It would be nice if somebody who knows the details would spill the beans grin.gif

I'd like to have more time to try more than once to be sure it's not a fluke. Later at night.

I've landed in a friendly hanger.

I would support this only if you got rearmed and/or refueled after an amount of time, as it would realistically take. Lewis guns could be very quick; exchange empty drums for full ones, but belt fed MG's would take lot's longer.

I dont think it is a fluke..because it has happened to me also...but that was in P2 (I posted about it at the time..and everyone thought I was nuts) :grin:

I would support this only if you got rearmed and/or refueled after an amount of time, as it would realistically take. Lewis guns could be very quick; exchange empty drums for full ones, but belt fed MG's would take lot's longer.

Work out how long you think it would take and stay parked for that length of time. If you're in a real hurry, scream "Hurry up, you fools!" at the monitor and take off five minutes earlier.

Right! This is the first new "effect" I'm going to check for in Hitr.

I've lost count of the number of times (being a crap shot) that I've got to about 1/2 way through a patrol and had to turn back due to the amount of ammo I've used up. I will, naturally, sit on the ground for a respectable length of time prior to taking off again. About 8 seconds should do.

Cheers,

Si

This is either a great feature or a great fluke!

Dont forget if you use this that it would take a long time to load a vickers belt compared with a few seconds to pass in some lewis drums!

Ive often thought it would be great if you had to re load after each drum just like they had to in flight... after all when you hit shift-c in the Nie17 the lewis gun lowers to re-arm would be nice to have to reload it like this (blocking your view of course!)

Great find - would be a great addition to the game. Keep the info coming!

BTW, to the developers: love the game, love the N28. Have always loved this airplane, never understood the fabric issue on the upper wings and why it could not be corrected. Beautiful airplane - thanks for the development!!

shortbutslow, there were only six documented cases of the fabric coming loose along the leading edge of the upper wing, (most of these being in the 94th and 95th US squadrons), and in all cases control of the aircraft was not lost. The problem was sorted out by July of 1918, but by then there was enough ill will towards the planes that many squadrons did not want them.

So many sales lost for the sake of a ha'porth of glue. :lol:

lot of interest here.....but no reply from the devs......so best guess is that it's a fluke. this has been requested since time began, even w/ CFS3...and guns were never reloaded....only bombs and rockets.....so it's probably a hard coded issue???? no worries....there's more than enough to occupy all combatants till the cows come home, right!

lot of interest here.....but no reply from the devs......so best guess is that it's a fluke. this has been requested since time began, even w/ CFS3...and guns were never reloaded....only bombs and rockets.....so it's probably a hard coded issue???? no worries....there's more than enough to occupy all combatants till the cows come home, right!

I spent about 1/2 hour taxiing all over a field and stopping at every hangar for several minutes each, hitting all keys I could think of, and nada. Never got any more bullets.

So those of you have had had this happen, where specifically were you, and all the other details, please?

Also, what commands are you doing with CTRL-C and CTRL-J? I changed all my key assignments so don't know what you're doing.