Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Some mighty fine fighting a great AI !

Not sure what's going on here - yesterday I was rather disappointed, today it was

sheer excitement!

Meanwhile, I had changed the sliders a little, and set max fraps to 32.

Now, I had a totally different fighting, and a superb action it was!

Flying for Jasta 15 on May 1., 1917 with Ernst Udet, we got attacked by a flight of N 17.

They where doing "veteran", the fighting was alright, and we managed to shoot some

down, the rest may have run home.

But then over the lines: out of a cloud came a flight of Nieuport 24 bis, and, boy, did

they challenge us!

I managed to damage one ace quite a lot; but then my ammo was out. One of my wings

finished him off, and I thought, hey, we're going to win this easy.

But no way!

Udet fought highest, against one single Nupe. Me and two wings where medium altitude.

The rest of both sides fought low. Now I called my men back to me and ordered to attack

a specific ace craft. And they did. But the guy evaded superb! And not enough - another

ace (Thiery or similar name) came to get me.

I called for help again and again, but he hit me several times. I travelled down as steep

as I dared to reach an army camp with ground gunners, but the guy was in my neck so

hard, it was really dangerous.

And now my wingman Horst Mann, and wing2 Heinrich Harmann arrived. Boy, to see them

turnfight Thiery was amazing! While they where busy, the other French came and peppered

me again. I had an engine fire, engine stopped out, and I could just make a crash landing

near a spotter.

I'm afraid it was SO intense I forgot to make screenshots of the second fight. I'll search for

the others shots of first fight and post them here later.

I am very impressed! Devs, when you now can find any solution for giving me back my fuel

management, you make me the happiest creature under the sun!

Edit: I did one pic in that fight - that was my wingman shooting up one French ace

Edited by Olham

Another fight went superb - SPAD VII, out of the sun! Surprising even Udet and Gontermann.

Very most of us all remained high, or even climbed further.

Boxed by the wind, I tried to get up to Udet's flight. It took several minutes to reach them,

but then Gontermann came diving down, a SPAD behind him, and I shot the French to hell.

Then I saw a lonely Udet circling high with one SPAD. He must have had a jam, or ammo was out.

I tried to get up there, but they always turned away, until Udet lured the craft right into my gunsight.

I hit him so hard, that bits and pieces came off.

He tried to run, but too shallow was his dive to leave me behind, and I fired (my last rounds) from

closest distance. Engine or tank exploded, and he fell burning.

What I liked about this fight: it took more than 20 minutes!

I used to have quick slaughters, 1 Nupe per minute, like that. No more!

This felt so much more realistic - almost like a step from Phase 2 to 3!

Devs, if you where girls, I'd come over and kiss you - phantastic!

Edited by Olham

you're right. it doesn't look bad, olham. but AI is not putting you under pressure anymore. it's more like you can always decide if hunt or leave without the thrill that you might get shot down. nobody is trying to hunt YOU down. and that's no fun IMO.

but you're also right when you say it feels more real when it lasts several minutes for a kill.

Edited by Creaghorn

No, that was not so - these French aces in N 24 bis DID hunt me down, and I really got

my ass handed to me in the end. It seems realistic to me, when there are always only

the ace type pilots, who go for you aggressively - not everyone else too.

I used to kill Nupes per minute before - that was not possible anymore.

hmm. can't agree. i haven't met one opponent so far in campaign, ace or not, whom i couldn't shake off with one simple manouver and go after him. since they stay high it takes longer for you to get him, wich is fine. but IMO it looks more like in an airshow. the aces make one halfhearted pass and go to sleep for several minutes, and the normal pilots are more or less watching. if watching AI against AI it looks not bad because both are phlegmatic. AI is not using any advantage of his assigned aircraft. nupes with slow and wide circles etc. against spads it looks a little bit more realistic because staying high gives the impression they're using energy. besides the fact they also do not attack very much. if prior to HITR i was sweating staying alive, now i can watch tv and talk via cellphone while fighting.

That everybody comes back is also fine, only with the downside that still one side is completely wiped out. but that's another thing wich isn't going to be sortet in p3.

Olham, U have me drooling over the new upgrade. I ordered mine but now I cant waitSalute.gif

Perhaps you had just average opponents so far. If you had run into this ace flight,

you would have had some good work.

Yesterday I had the same impression as you. Now I have made some graphic

setting changes, and fixed the fraps to max. 32.

Not sure if that can change behaviour (Pol said, with higher graphic settings, the

AI gets more aggressive), but today I liked it.

I've been doing a lot of 3 vs 6 (3 friendlies vs 6 enemies) in QC, random skill. More often than not the friendlies get wiped, leaving me against three or four enemies. I've watched the AI from the ground, after landing, and last watched two Alb DIIs vs one Sopwith Triplane, where they all circled and took shots at each other for over twenty minutes, to no conclusion (I got bored and quit). I considered it to be wholly realistic.

I've been bounced more than once in these dogfights and forced out of the fight, more often than used to happen. And the best bit? 90% of this is happening at altitude, instead of on the deck. And when I do get on the tail of a target, it's taking considerable effort to get enough rounds into the bugger to bring him down.

This is all in QC remember, where the AI is supposedly less able than in campaign. But if QC is anything to go by I can only assume campaign will be superb.

My sliders are on 54455.

Anyway, I'm going to go do some me vs one ace now and see how that feels.

Olham i totally agree with you this upgrade is the best ive seen in a while really enjoying it thanks Mark and the rest of the teamclapping.gif

Actually I think I'll start with me in a Dr1 vs six ace Se5s.

Clouds on 5, Siggi? Can you post a screeny? Is it worth doing?

Ok, enough of that tosh, the AI is totally buggered. I should have lasted no more than a few minutes. I peppered one a bit, broke off expecting to find the usual horde on my tail. Nada. Picked up another and gave him a good pasting, enough to put him out of the fight with a smoking motor. Looked for the others, they were 2500ft away, going in a big circle (four of them). The one I'd originally peppered made a desultory head-on pass, so I chased him again. The four that had been way off in the distance, they came back and paraded across my nose like I wasn't there. I gave one a good kicking. Then one came from behind me and passed over me so low I nearly had a heart-attack, but he didn't fire his guns.

Basically they behaved like I wasn't really there, or that I was an unarmed civvy and they were just mildly interested in checking me out and having the occasional squirt for a laugh.

Olham, I'm not sure what difference clouds-5 makes. Maybe a bit more complex (more opaque bit-maps to fly through). I've got it on five because it has no appreciable impact on my fps that I can see.

Please see known issues guys, no need to analyse the AI it's not working correctly, will be fixed soon.

Please see known issues guys, no need to analyse the AI it's not working correctly, will be fixed soon.

This is why I love OBD. They have the amazingly rare combinations of passion, dedication, honesty and integrity. They have the passion to create the best combat flight experience possible, down to the last detail. The dedication to not rush the job (despite intense pressure from the rabid fan base to release things as soon as possible) and they have the honesty and integrity to admit when things are flawed and go to work on those issues with the same passion they had when they started this project 4 years ago. Thanks for all of your had work guys. Over Flanders Fields is the finest software product I've ever purchased.

Hellshade

As a newbie I must admit....... 5 campaigns started, max length achieved 2.3 hours, no kills and have been chased and waxed twice.... AI seems pretty damn good to me. grin.gif

Have a decent system and am able to run my sliders on all 5's. Do wish the damage models displayed in hi-vis setting. I have been running it in norm to see the damage but may run the high vis to see the difference.