Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

Check Controls Before Flight

I've noticed that the new Nupes in HitR spawn, their control surfaces are badly out of agreement with the position of your joystick. That is, these planes always spawn with full down elevator and full left aileron (and the 3D joystick in the virtual cockpit is wedged in the forward left corner of the cockpit), even if your real-world joystick is in the center. The rudder doesn't have this problem.

Fortunately, this condition is easy to fix. As soon as you wiggle your real-world joystick even a little, the plane's control surfaces instantly snap into agreement with it. So before taking off, add a little immersion to your day by checking the movement of all your controls prior to starting your takeoff roll.

Failure to wiggle your joystick prior to takeoff WILL kill you. Instead of the tail coming up level as you accelerate, you do a forward somersault that by the time you notice it happening, it's too late to stop it. This ended my 1st attempt to fly the N28.

So, taking off from the ground is easily dealt with. However, should you choose to start in the air, you can't avoid the effects of the full-down/full-left controls when you spawn. You'll find yourself doing an outside barrel roll on the verge of redding out as soon as the screen clears and you find yourself in the cockpit. Again, moving the joystick at all quickly solves the problem, and so far I haven't completely redded out or broken the plane spawning in the air. Also, I now expect this so I react to it quicker.

Anyway, you have been warned. Wiggle your controls before taking off and you'll be fine.

No matter what I fly after taking flying lessons a couple of fast jet flights and glider flights I generally do that as you say increases the immersion...

Being a pilot, I always do that anyway for realism, but it has had it's benefits. One time, in so doing, I discovered that my roll axis was reversed. Would've been a bit tricky in the air. So, more reality from OBD. Those preflight checks can pay off. Also, looking around to check get's the scenery all loaded so less stuttering.

Ever since I took off with dodgy inputs I've always moved all my surfaces before rolling. :good:

Being a pilot, I always do that anyway for realism, but it has had it's benefits. One time, in so doing, I discovered that my roll axis was reversed. Would've been a bit tricky in the air. So, more reality from OBD. Those preflight checks can pay off. Also, looking around to check get's the scenery all loaded so less stuttering.

Some very good pilots have been killed because their 'roll axis was reversed' ie their ailerons were connected backwards. IIRC the designer of the Avro Lancaster (Roy Chadwick) was killed this way.

Of course this doesn't matter so much in OFF.

CFS3 often needs it especially with some auto centering joysticks.

For me I spent years with my Saitek 3D Force always having to circle all axis, and throttle before take off with CFS3 or OFF, but now make it a pre flight check and all is good :)

And always do a check of your TIR too. Views heads, otherwise like me you can get airborne and be stuck with your hat views, nichts so gute.