Sign in to follow this  
tone12

game crashed

hi,

ive just had a ctd during a mission. any chance you guys could have a look at the log file to see a likely cause?

cheers

it was more for the attention of the devs, im sure they will have a better idea of what the errors in the log mean than us. i did notice a few errors about skins/planes not being loaded, could that be the cause?

it was more for the attention of the devs, im sure they will have a better idea of what the errors in the log mean than us. i did notice a few errors about skins/planes not being loaded, could that be the cause?

wow,,,i never even knew that file existed!.....

and it answers one question ive had for a long time,,,that being the purpose of the default _t.dss file in the aircraft directory.....

you have a lot of errors copying campaign skins there,,,but they should not have caused the game to crash, as it seems to just load the default skin for that plane in case it happens.

what bothers me, is you are calling for a skin OFF_DH2_m16_t_RFC-32 1916.dds, but in my directory the file is called off_dh2_mid16_t_RFC-32 1916.dds..ie..you lost the "id" in mid. Now like i said,,it seems that kind of error is not fatal,,cause it just loads the default skin for the plane when this happens.

it is also telling you the ace cant fly a fokker d1,,,which means to me your looking for a d1,,,when you should be looking for a DR1...

and,,,there is a line in there ??Craft Invalid! RAF_FE8_SQ1

so,,if i where to guess,,,,id say you mission generator got screwed up. My first guess was maybe a problem with your aircraft directory, but im thinking now that is ok,,,its just the mission is screwed up.

another thing you might want to post here,,if you have not run another campaign mission since this crash,,,is the off_camp_mission.xml that i belive is in your historical folder. I may be a little off on the name of the file, but that was close enough for you to find it. I would love to see what the mission.xml file looks like and compare it to what the log file says needed to be loaded.

im not up on campaigns,,,but i would consider making a new pilot...starting a new campaign,,,and see if everything goes right..

and,,thanks again for bringing my attention to that file...lot of interesting info there on what goes on behind the scenes in a campaign mission.

i only found out about that file cause the ctd error message pointed me to it. il try lowering the graphic settings and startin a new campaign, hopefully it was a one off

alright this is gettin a bit annoyin, just spent another 45 mins on a mission, fps was set at 35 and performance was perfect. i decide to warp for the final flight home and another crash, error message "program not responding". had to alt tan out and quit.

my settings are, 5,4,3,3,4,5

there were no peformance issues up until the crash. bit gutted i just wasted another 45 mins flight time to be honest.

core 2 duo 6750 oc'd to 3400ghz

4gb ram (1066mhz)

geeforce gtx 260 896mb

win7 64bit

Edited by tone12

lol you make it sound as though i have a poor system or maybe i misunderstood you? no probs with other games, maybe armed assault 2 but thats about it. i dont buy into it bein a performance issue, performance was really smooth, solid 35 fps whole mission up until the crash + i wasnt havin these crashes before this expansion.

Easy big fella! yess.gif He's just trying to help you!Salute.gif I suggest you try 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2 for your settings. There isn't really any need to have your clouds at 5. They look just as good on 2 or 3. But, IMHO I don't think your graphics settings are causing CTD's. Have you tried a reinstall? Just askin'.drinks.gif

lol...sorry,,,all i was trying to do was get more info,,,ie,,if other high end games play fine,,its probably software,,,if you where haveing other problems,,then it might indicate hardware......

but,,,as i said in my first reply,,there are some diffinite problems with the mission file, according to that log file....if you have not already run another campaign, could you post up the new log? and also, it might be a big help if you could find the off_camp_mission.xml (or something very close to that) in your missions\historical folder...(i think thats the folder,,,,). As with the log file..the mission.xml gets rewritten everytime you run a campaign...so if you have done this,,,it wont be helpful,,,unless the next campaign crashes too. My thinking here is if the xml file is calling for the correct plane, but the mission generator is in turn calling for a different plane,,,then its probably a good indication of where the problem is coming from. cant say ive got the solution,,,but gotta narrow it down to the problem first.

so if you dont mind me guessing (bout all i can do),,,when you oc's the cpu,,did you change your ram's timing,,,and any chance you went a tad too far? (this is from other posts,,,not from experience)....

should you at some point decide to go the reinstall route,,there are some posts out there that claim you can restore you pilot data,,(big issue for campainers)...

Easy big fella! yess.gif He's just trying to help you!Salute.gif I suggest you try 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2 for your settings. There isn't really any need to have your clouds at 5. They look just as good on 2 or 3. But, IMHO I don't think your graphics settings are causing CTD's. Have you tried a reinstall? Just askin'.drinks.gif

hehe yeah sorry bout that, i was just really pissed off after it crashing again. im playin with dead is dead rules for immersion and have invested a fair bit of time in these 2 missions that have crashed.

my main reservations bout turnin down the settings are firstly, the 5 setting for clouds is needed so that the AI cant see through clouds and secondly, ive read that reducing the settings also reduces the AI. id be more likely to believe the settings are to high if i was havin low fps issues but as i said the frame rates were locked at 35 and they were solid, even at the missions start at the airfield. in that log i posted there are a fair few errors regardin skin etc which look a ittle suspect. i dont see anyone else havin such problems however which makes it more strange.

and yes, i done a full reinstall.

Im not certain about the sequence of events...ie,,does the game create the log file, which in turne runs the mission and then generates the mission xml file...or does the game generate the mission.xml..which in turn generates the log file......

at any rate,,you can rerun a mission that you have just flown by going thru the mutliplayer option, and selecting the campaign mission from the list..(lttle more complicated than that,,,)...

If you get another mission crash,,and post up that mission.xml file,,id be glad to play it and see if i get the same problem,,,,or,,you could just rerun the mission yourself,,and see if the problem gets duplicated..

hi,

ive just had a ctd during a mission. any chance you guys could have a look at the log file to see a likely cause?

cheers

I don't "see" your log file.

It's not your oc. More likely the improper skin id(s). If the skin(s) in question are accessible to the time period of the campaign, they can cause problems, even if they aren't selected. I found this out a long time ago.

If you decide to do a reinstall, follow the posted procedures AND THEN run regedit, search for entries "OBD" and "Over Flanders Fields" and delete them. You'll have a clean slate to start from again.

plug_nickel (Al)

lol...sorry,,,all i was trying to do was get more info,,,ie,,if other high end games play fine,,its probably software,,,if you where haveing other problems,,then it might indicate hardware......

but,,,as i said in my first reply,,there are some diffinite problems with the mission file, according to that log file....if you have not already run another campaign, could you post up the new log? and also, it might be a big help if you could find the off_camp_mission.xml (or something very close to that) in your missions\historical folder...(i think thats the folder,,,,). As with the log file..the mission.xml gets rewritten everytime you run a campaign...so if you have done this,,,it wont be helpful,,,unless the next campaign crashes too. My thinking here is if the xml file is calling for the correct plane, but the mission generator is in turn calling for a different plane,,,then its probably a good indication of where the problem is coming from. cant say ive got the solution,,,but gotta narrow it down to the problem first.

so if you dont mind me guessing (bout all i can do),,,when you oc's the cpu,,did you change your ram's timing,,,and any chance you went a tad too far? (this is from other posts,,,not from experience)....

should you at some point decide to go the reinstall route,,there are some posts out there that claim you can restore you pilot data,,(big issue for campainers)...

ok where to start. heres the log from the latest crash, cant seem to attach the other xml file though to this post though, you reckon that file could show more clues to why this is happening? im runnin windows 7 64 bit on a new partition so theres no way its detectin a previous install cos there hasnt been one till now. defo not hardware related, only had this ram for a few weeks and no other games are crashing. i did suspect it could be win 7 but then i read one of the devs for OFF sayin hes been runnin win 7 64 bit for months with no probs.

can anyone confirm if the overall slider (or any of them) affect the AI?

OFFLog.txt

hmm,,,not too much to that one...(the log file)....going to assume that it just did a ctd? there is nothing in the log file to indicate it ran into a problem. Funny how the first one had so much info on it,,and this one doesnt.

and as far as getting the mission file, if the log file had shown some errors, like the first one did, it would have been nice to compared what the log file was calling for, and what the mission file was calling for. with no errors showing on the log file, there is no need to look at the mission file...BUT,,,,,you can rerun your previous campain mission in single player mode. Im not saying this would tell us much, unless you crashed again. even then , cant say for sure how much it would help to pinpoint the problem.

the hitr upgrade, and the memory upgrade,,,did they occur at the same time,,(just curious...)

and hate to ask an obvious questions, but do you have both offmanger.exe and cfs3.exe set to run as administrator, and it xp compatibilty mode?

nah my memory upgrade was weeks ago. its not ctds, i get a message appear that the program has stopped responding and i have to close it with task manager. i dont run in admin or xp mode, i just load the game up normally. i have some games where i need to load in compatibility mode mode to get them runnin but not this one.

should i be loadin it with admin and compat mode?

yes!!...

Vista and im almost positive win7 users have to run almost everything for off (including trackir) in administrative modes, and xp compatiblity mode...

gotta remeber,,this was built on cfs3,,,and xp was not around when that came out...

not promising this is going to solve your problems, but im surprised you have not run into problems before...

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/48844-windows-7/page__st__80 posts 87 and 89,,,,,,

looks like compatibiltiy mode is optional, but every vista user i have run across sets it that way....

Edited by sitting_duck

alright just found another error although im not sure if its related to my crash issues. just tried to enlist a fighter pilot in jasta 1, 8th May 1917. got the following OFF Manager message. the mission then had me in an EIII which was the wrong plane.

HomeField Not Found! C:\Games\overflandersfieldszWW1Scenery\Period\1915\targets\GermanyAirfieldsFlanders.txt N50*4'29.7875

Edited by tone12

that location it lists does exist in 1915, (bertincourt) but it does not exist in the 1917 file........

this is an area where my lack of campaing playing shows up...when you select your jasta and date of service,,,it picks the location for you...or you pick it?

I know you have already reinstalled,,,with no improvement,,but did you get all the folders as uncleal indicated?

wish more ppl would chip in on this one,,cause im just guessing,,,

If i where you, i would post that last message in the general forum, and try and get more campaign players to respond....

should i be loadin it with admin and compat mode?

Yes it can make a all difference.

Tell me is your OS with the regional settings set to US or UK?

guys,

ive never had OFF or CFS3 installed on this partition so there defo isnt any old files + my OS is set to uk. i dug through this forum and found a thread on page 15 or so from a guy who has a similar spec to myself, he listed the way his game is set up which ive copied. ive since flew a mission which thankfully didnt crash so heres hopin ive finally nailed this problem.

alot of of the "dynamix" files are outside of the obddirectory. they are in documents and settings etc etc etc.....

its always highly recommend you delete those folders before you do a reinstall...

its not only a seperate partition OFF is installed on, its a seperate harddrive which hasnt had OFF installed on it before so im certain there cant be any files left over.

hmm,,,not sure i agree with you on that...

all the files for off dont get installed on the drive you specify,,,,and the ones that are going to end up on your c drive no matter where you install off are important.

i dont use windows explorer,,so i can show 2 directory trees at once...

on the left you have the files that will always get installed to c (unless you installed windows to another drive of course), and these are the ones you have to make sure get removerd after you uninstall off..

on the right is the obd directory, which i put on d drive.

gallery_45808_317_30039.jpg

yep ive got different OS's on each hardrive so im sure thats not the problem. ive now flown 3 missions without crash now so touch wood that the problems now gone.

Try setting OFF and CFS3.exe to run as administrator too, also OFFLOG will show nothing as your sim is crashing out inside CFS3 itself not the OFF manager. Warp usually eats texture memory for breakfast if you leave it running, and often high end cards are using lots of power and cooks some anyway. Break warp up more often, i.e come out sooner. Reduce sliders a notch for terrain and scenery. If you have ground density up high reduce by 1. Close background tasks etc. Try checking settings in NVidia panel too, I remember some settings for the type of AA used used to cause issues before, try setting up as per the FAQ tips.