Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

5 kills what do you think

guys flying HITR with jasta 24 march 1917 just shot down 3 sopwith strutters Esc 29 . they flew in formation and never changed direction or height later in same mission met 3 more of same shot down 2 my wingman took out the other when ammo was out.. they didnt evade even after I pulled along side.is this a problem with HITR

Edited by thewoo1

Maybe they were Northwest pilots playing on their laptops!

guys flying HITR with jasta 24 march 1917 just shot down 3 sopwith strutters Esc 29 . they flew in formation and never changed direction or height later in same mission met 3 more of same shot down 2 my wingman took out the other when ammo was out.. they didnt evade even after I pulled along side.is this a problem with HITR

2-seaters in OFF have always just sat there and taken it. They have never taken any evasive action in my experience going back way before the Superpatch, let alone HitR.

In several mods for RB2/3D, they had it so that the lead 2-seater would fly straight but the others in the formation would weave side-to-side a lot, thus always keeping at least some of their guns on you, plus being harder to hit due to their movement. From what I can tell, that was a pretty realistic depiction, plus was a highly effective tactic. But it only works for 2-seaters with conventional rear guns.

In real life, Fees, which lacked conventional rear guns, would do Lufbery circles, so each could cover the other's tail. This was quite effective for them in real life, but in OFF they just fly straight on and, with their engine so easy to hit from behind, go down in flames in droves.

Then there's the Quirk, which lacks any rear gun at all in OFF. Having this (and the Fee) just fly along straight-and-level is the same as the Huns offering an enlistment bounty to all pilots who join up between late-1916 and mid-1917. Just sign here and you're guaranteed 2 Iron Crosses before the month is out! As I understand things, most Quirks had a rear gun, although with a limited field of fire like the Fee due to the gunner being in the front seat. The only time they didn't have a rear gun was when they were carrying bombs instead of an observer. But even in these cases, they didn't press on, they ran for home at the 1st sight of the enemy.

2-seaters in OFF have always just sat there and taken it. They have never taken any evasive action in my experience going back way before the Superpatch, let alone HitR.

In several mods for RB2/3D, they had it so that the lead 2-seater would fly straight but the others in the formation would weave side-to-side a lot, thus always keeping at least some of their guns on you, plus being harder to hit due to their movement. From what I can tell, that was a pretty realistic depiction, plus was a highly effective tactic. But it only works for 2-seaters with conventional rear guns.

In real life, Fees, which lacked conventional rear guns, would do Lufbery circles, so each could cover the other's tail. This was quite effective for them in real life, but in OFF they just fly straight on and, with their engine so easy to hit from behind, go down in flames in droves.

Then there's the Quirk, which lacks any rear gun at all in OFF. Having this (and the Fee) just fly along straight-and-level is the same as the Huns offering an enlistment bounty to all pilots who join up between late-1916 and mid-1917. Just sign here and you're guaranteed 2 Iron Crosses before the month is out! As I understand things, most Quirks had a rear gun, although with a limited field of fire like the Fee due to the gunner being in the front seat. The only time they didn't have a rear gun was when they were carrying bombs instead of an observer. But even in these cases, they didn't press on, they ran for home at the 1st sight of the enemy.

yea though I thought they were single seaters not the two seater version and I have been used to going against the nasty rolands.. I wasn sure

thewoo1, the Strutters, like the BE2c, the Fee and the RE8, acted like sitting ducks even before HitR.

Hopefully getting changed for Phase 4.

It's because of the a/c type we have to select for other reasons, including stopping dive bombing or getting craft not suitable trying to fight like Biffs. P4 Maybe.

Walfisch seem to fly defensively quite well, though this was prior to HITR....

I have not encountered one lately.

Yes, Rolands and Brisfits are really fighting.

Walfisch seem to fly defensively quite well, though this was prior to HITR....

I have not encountered one lately.

They apparently fly offensively pretty well too. I was astonished to see a flight of them dive into an attack on a flight of Strutters the other day. VERY steep dive, right through the middle of the formation with guns blazing. They didn't do much damage, but it was sure fun to watch.:good:

They apparently fly offensively pretty well too. I was astonished to see a flight of them dive into an attack on a flight of Strutters the other day. VERY steep dive, right through the middle of the formation with guns blazing. They didn't do much damage, but it was sure fun to watch.:good:

At risk of shamelessly plugging my own video, if you stream this you'll see - about 45 secs in - a group of Rolands in perfect formation sweep into an attack on some BE2s. The original footage is in one of the OFF preview videos but I forget which one, hence I'm digging this out.

Making the point that I think the Walfisch is kinda overlooked in OFF. It's a pig to fly but it had some of the best AI in the sim I think - haven't gone up against in since HiTR though.

So, not all two seaters are sitting ducks.

Truely right, Dej. I had the excitement to run into a fight against Roland "Walfisch"

with my British DH-2 pilot. They where not far from the dangerous Brisfit in their

defense and aggressivenes. I shot one down, but with great respect and care

for myself. They where all over the place!