Sign in to follow this  
Dogzero1

WOV: Want some music in your cockpit?

Hi all,

a few years ago when I first purchased the box version of Wings Over Vietnam, I think I posted on simhq about this. I wanted to play some Vietnam era music whilst on my way to a suspected truck park in North Vietnam in my A6 Intruder. So I changed the following files in the speech folder: T1sinp001.wav, T1sinp002.wav and T1sinp003.wav. I replaced them with Ride of the Valkerie, Paint it Black and Long Tall Sally. (obviously my own purchased mp3's) and converted them to Wavs with the three file names above. So now, when flying along on CAP or Armed Recon, I just press tab, then 7 to communicate with control and then ask for mission status and hey ho, one of the tracks plays instead of the normal voice telling me my mission is still in progress (which I dont need anyways).

Hope anybody new to the WO series might find this usefull.

ps, anyone know how to access the speech folder in the new releases? I have just purchased Strike Fighters 2 Isreal and notice the folders are not like the older versions.

ps,ps I actually prefer my original Wings over Israel as I dont really see much of a graphics difference with the new one and there is no Force Feedback on the new version either.

MorningGlory2.jpg

How about changing the cockpit wind's sound with it? It's possible?

Sorry for my poor english. I need to retake my english exam. :heat:

Dogzero: see the latest patch (Dec) concerning the latter.......

Edited by stingray77

Dogzero: see the latest patch (Dec) concerning the latter.......

What about the latest patch? Regarding the graphical differences or the speech folder?

Cheers

Mavericks, you could change the wind noise but it would be on all the time.

Damn man, that is creative thinking...I was looking to use it for a different purpose, but will try your proposed solution and see if it works...thanks for sharing!

What about the latest patch? Regarding the graphical differences or the speech folder?

Right yesterday TK published a patch for the SF2-series which now has Force Feedback effects added... At least that's what the ReadMe states.

Thanks all. Just updated SF2I and it now has FF. Great.

Now, just like the older versions, where do I find the speech folder to do the same as I did with WOV? Do I need to extract it?

Thanks all and I hope you like my idea for getting music into the game. :good:

Just for your info, I use this M3 File editor to conver MP3 to WAV. It works a treat. http://www.mp3fe.com/

Edited by Dogzero1

C:\program Files\SF2\Speech\Speech.cat (or however you installed it, the main game folder on the C: drive)

Edited by EricJ

How about changing the cockpit wind's sound with it? It's possible?

You can, but I'm fairly certain it resets if you switch between interior and exterior view. So any song you have one will start again the second you change your view. That was always the problem with the 20+minute radio chatter piece, unless you played from the pit the whole time.

Was that the chatter that was to be heard on one of those youtube-videos? Man, that was cool - added a whole lot of atmosphere to the radio...

Pretty much. I just use Windows Media Player. Sure sometimes it's not the best way to do things, but alleviates some of the problems described above.

You can, but I'm fairly certain it resets if you switch between interior and exterior view. So any song you have one will start again the second you change your view. That was always the problem with the 20+minute radio chatter piece, unless you played from the pit the whole time.

Okay, thanks. I think radio comunication was a suitable replacement (maybe).

@Dogzero1: Thanks for the converter.

:bye:

I have just made a quick youtube video with my mobile phone and edited it with Windows Movie maker. Have a quick look and get the feel for it. Sorry about the sound quality though, my phone is not the best of movie makers equipment. :yikes::salute:

Hey not bad and thank you for the info too!! :good:

You are welcome.

I really enjoy listening to Ride of the Valkerie whilst on my run in. It adds a new dimension to the sim. I might also add a track to the same command for when the mission is complete, I thought Surfin Bird would do nicely. :drinks::salute:

funny you should mention this... i happen to be working on a mod for the SF2 games that will give you the wingmen from Starfox 64... the principle just so happens to be the same.

As for the force-feedback in the new patch... what?