Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Bad weather just kills my FPS

With my ati 5970 (and my 5870) bad weather lops at least 20fps off my total performance!

I have all of my sliders set perfect just the way I like em where I can get 45-60fps and then when I get a mission with bad weather I am down into the teens & 20s :dntknw:

The weird thing is when I used to play with my Nvidia 8800 ultras I never received any frame hits from bad weather!

Is there any way to disable bad weather? I looked in workshop but I can only set how the weather is presented, ie ai controlled or historical. Or is there any way around this?

The other weird thing is, I increased my total FPS by about 10fps when I enabled 2xAA! Lol, what the heck is that all about, I never heard about performance increases from increasing AA, but it is a reality with OFF and my ati cards!

I see much the same regarding FPS/clouds but then some cloudy days the FPS are stable. :dntknw: I think you can effect the weather in WS upper left corner if I recall, I have not messed with it. Being the resident Forrest Gump I can say this, "computers are like a box of choclates...". Best wishes. Jim

With my ati 5970 (and my 5870) bad weather lops at least 20fps off my total performance!

I have all of my sliders set perfect just the way I like em where I can get 45-60fps and then when I get a mission with bad weather I am down into the teens & 20s :dntknw:

The weird thing is when I used to play with my Nvidia 8800 ultras I never received any frame hits from bad weather!

Is there any way to disable bad weather? I looked in workshop but I can only set how the weather is presented, ie ai controlled or historical. Or is there any way around this?

The other weird thing is, I increased my total FPS by about 10fps when I enabled 2xAA! Lol, what the heck is that all about, I never heard about performance increases from increasing AA, but it is a reality with OFF and my ati cards!

You can go into the Workshop and click the Graphics Config button, that gives you a little box:

File >> Custom Settings (OK) >> Window >> Overrides.

In there you can disable weather and other stuff.

I've a 4890 and have never have feel such performance drop with bad weather. Maybe less 5 fps but not more.

But I haven't faced bad weather yet with the HiTR installed.

But remember your graphic card is still (or the only) being optimized by ATI. So each new driver version can help, specially for Win7. For XP there will be no further optimizations I think. Wait for 9.12 version. This week or the next will be out.

I've a 4890 and have never have feel such performance drop with bad weather. Maybe less 5 fps but not more.

But I haven't faced bad weather yet with the HiTR installed.

But remember your graphic card is still (or the only) being optimized by ATI. So each new driver version can help, specially for Win7. For XP there will be no further optimizations I think. Wait for 9.12 version. This week or the next will be out.

Ahh yes I will wait for the new drivers. I'm using Vista 64, thanks for the heads up!

You can go into the Workshop and click the Graphics Config button, that gives you a little box:

File >> Custom Settings (OK) >> Window >> Overrides.

In there you can disable weather and other stuff.

Ah Thanks Siggi, I keep forgetting about the master override panel, thanks for reminding me!

I see much the same regarding FPS/clouds but then some cloudy days the FPS are stable. :dntknw: I think you can effect the weather in WS upper left corner if I recall, I have not messed with it. Being the resident Forrest Gump I can say this, "computers are like a box of choclates...". Best wishes. Jim

They are like a box of something but I don't think its chocolate, lol!

I'm driving an ATI 4870 with 2 GB memory, and never had frame drops in bad wheather.

I'm driving an ATI 4870 with 2 GB memory, and never had frame drops in bad wheather.

Mmmm then it must be a driver issue, because lowering graphical settings really does not help add frames all that much. Its frustrating going from 50fps to less than 20. Im at the point where I just cancel the mission if the weather is not to my liking. Yes my pilot is a premadonna thats got it like that, well at least until this issue is fixed!

Perhaps one of the ATI Control Panel settings is made for especially such effects like rain

and snow, and I don't have it on my older card, or not activated?

Not sure which one though.

Perhaps the devs or anyone else can tell?

Perhaps one of the ATI Control Panel settings is made for especially such effects like rain

and snow, and I don't have it on my older card, or not activated?

Not sure which one though.

There is no such a thing Olham.

And besides remember OFF is based on CFS3.

OFF wil not use any special 3D function that you don't have it in your card and a 5xxx or future cards might have.

Without Starting a nasty Argument. Perhaps Just Perhaps the Devs Knew what they talking about, when in the FAQ they said: "OFF has always run better on Nvidia" Salute.gif

Oh boy here you go again Uncleal lol, when are you and Nvidia going to elope?

While it is true that I did not have the weather lag issue with the Nvidia card, it is an absolute falsity to claim that OFF runs better on Nvidia because of this singular problem.

My 5970 smashes my old 8800 on every other level with this game. My 8800 could not even dream about pushing 4800x1200 resoution at 60fps with everything set 5,3,4,4,3. Man I was lucky to get 30fps with the 8800 ultra at 2560x1600 with 5,2,2,2,2! And don't get me started on nvidia drivers! OFF crashed one out of every five missions with my nvidia cards, which made the game absolute hell to play because you never knew if you were going to get credit for your mission progress or not.....and yes I tried many, many, many different nvidia drivers.

UncleAl, I'm running "BHaH" on my older rig with an ATI RADEON X1900, and it is running fine.

Maybe a NVIDEA is running it even finer, but that doesn't mean that you get crapp on an ATI.

Whatever may be better, could be marginal?

Edited by Olham

UncleAl, I'm running "BHaH" on my older rig with an ATI RADEON X1900, and it is running fine.

Maybe a NVIDEA is running it even finer, but that doesn't mean that you get crapp on an ATI.

Whatever may be better, could be marginal?

Olham,

I have to agree with you. ATI has come a long way in the last two years, especially with new and improved drivers released monthly. I have had absolutely no problems running BHaH with either my X1950 or 4970 on my old 939 socket PC. Looks great and smooth as silk.

Oh boy here you go again Uncleal lol, when are you and Nvidia going to elope?

While it is true that I did not have the weather lag issue with the Nvidia card, it is an absolute falsity to claim that OFF runs better on Nvidia because of this singular problem.

My 5970 smashes my old 8800 on every other level with this game. My 8800 could not even dream about pushing 4800x1200 resoution at 60fps with everything set 5,3,4,4,3. Man I was lucky to get 30fps with the 8800 ultra at 2560x1600 with 5,2,2,2,2! And don't get me started on nvidia drivers! OFF crashed one out of every five missions with my nvidia cards, which made the game absolute hell to play because you never knew if you were going to get credit for your mission progress or not.....and yes I tried many, many, many different nvidia drivers.

Hi appraiserfl

I'm running a 8800 GTS for about 2 yrs . I havemy settings almost max'ed out except clouds and I get 30+ fps. I never had the problems you describe.Maybe it was your MOBO. I just installed a 790i EVGA MOBO and everything is running like clockwork.

cheers

GB

Hey guys I'm only reading the words as they were posted. Does it or Does it not say: CFS3 has historically not run well on ATI Cards

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Tips.htm

If I just arrived from Mars, what might I read

I run whatever, runs best on my Low-End Machine

On a tip, I dumped my 8600GT 512DDR3 for a HD4670 1GB-DDR3 ( Looking for Cheap magic)

On paper it beats my 8600GT in every catagory, my 8600 is a hunk of crap, I'm the first to admit it

The ATI had tremendous FPS, when the sky was empty. But in a large furball, it dropped to the High Teens

As we speak, the 4670 is in it's box. The hunk of crap 8600 is back on the job Salute.gif

I have two unused GTX8800 sitting idle in a box, worth bugger-all. It's xmas, do you want one? :grin:

appraiserfl,

Ati 5970 drivers for windows7 (hemlock)

http://support.amd.c...on-hd-5970.aspx

Morris

Ahh but I have vista 64 ultimate. I tried to dload the early version of cat 9.12 and went thru the most hellacious 24 hours of trying to get my computer to work again. Man oh man, ati drivers are brutal if you dont know how to install them properly over a previous driver version.

THANKS for the Offer But, my present short of space situation demands the low Heat output of the 8600 class of card. That plus my PSU Lacks the ability to provide the 6pin connector, which initself I can change out. Then I run smack into the lack of depth in the case. It's a Dell Inspiron 530, I am now aware of the lack of humor on the part of Dell, when the changing of cases is joked about.

When I made this astoundingly stupid purchase, it was my first venture into the world of PCI-E. As I was one the last OFF Holdouts running AGP with an ATI X1950 Ice Cube. This was the only way to get a factory built unit in XP. Which my Original Plans, called for modifications as required. If I knew Then, what I know Now, I'd have purchased a normal sized Magic Box in VISTA, dumped the Vista for XP, and be happily running a Geforce GTX 260

Ah Well . . to soon old, and to late smart

Thanks, but no Thanks Salute.gif

I lived with a Compaq presario p4 2.4ghz for 6 years with a radeon 9700pro, before I made the bold step to build my own computer. I did not know what the hell I was doing but I somehow managed and have built several computers in the last two years. Once you get started on your own custom setup you can never go back, so may I suggest Uncleal, that you back off your files and then ebay that puter that your not completely satisfied with and build your own! You wont regret it, well unless you try and install new ati drivers over existing drivers, but other than that you will be very happy, when you dont have to worry about factory nit nacks.