Sign in to follow this  
ConradB

Found an old book I' had lost

I got myself an early Christmas present. It's an old book that I used to have that was hardbound, but I'm just happy to have been able to replace it!

The Cover

IMG_0005-1.jpg

The Planes

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Sections of interest

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Info on the SE5 & SE5a

IMG_0004-2.jpg

And 3 view drawings of the SE5a

IMG_0003-2.jpg

I used the 3-view drawings to make plans for free flight models for my son when he was 5 to 8 years old. He liked having them hanging from the ceiling in his room, but he really liked going out and flying them. Before the days of scanners, I would take the book to the library and Xerox the drawings and enlarge them to an average size of about 16 to 18 wingspans, and then use them as a base for the plans. Built the planes from balsa with color tissue. Even the markings were color tissue doped on. We used to have a lot of fun with them when he was a youngster.

Of special note, the SE5s of 24 Squadron rigged their mounts with reduced dihedral for better manoeuverability. Look at the bottom photo on the above page.

Edited by ConradB

Sounds heartwarming good, Conrad! Do you still have the model, or a picture of it?

Naw, I don't have them anymore. They went bye-bye during the divorce. The ex I think has pictures of the Neiuport 17 with a scratchbuilt Lewis Gun mounted on the top wing. She may even have pics of the little triplane. It looked good, but wasn't a good flyer unless it was dead calm out. The best ones were the Albatros DV, Pfalz DIII, and the SE5a, as they have long fuselage lengths and a good portion in front of the wings for balance purposes. But if they were still around, they would be 16 to 19 years old. Flying models don't usually last that long. Even the model Sopwith Camel Dad built back in the 50's went to dust when I tried to get it out of the rafters in gramp's basement. The tissue paper covering gets very brittle from the dope aging. So does the balsa wood. But they were fun while they lasted!

Oh yes ConradB! Excellent old book. I have that one on my shelf as well, along with the companion volumes featuring B/R's, and the aces. A great trio to have.

Great book. Helped me a lot when Lou was running his Name the Plane contest.

Funny thing is a recommended the very book earlier today to someone in the Pub. FYI, there is a companion tome AIR ACES of the 1914-1918 War itself a very fine book.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Great book. Helped me a lot when Lou was running his Name the Plane contest.

Funny thing is a recommended the very book earlier today to someone in the Pub. FYI, there is a companion tome AIR ACES of the 1914-1918 War itself a very fine book.

Thanks for the info! Never knew of it. Learn something new everyday!