Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Anyone know this film?

Just found the above movie (VHS only) in Ebay. Is it any good?

Seems rather rare - never heard of it before.

Edited by Olham

Haven't seen it in about 35 years. It's ok from what I remember. It's got that old we're the good-guys, they're the bad-guys hollywood approach to it.

As ConradB says, its OK. If you don't expect too much from it you'll enjoy giving it a look. Definitely "Hollywood".

Do you know, if they used original or look-alike planes?

I'll watch it soon and report to you, maybe. Hey, I do remember that the movie showed French flight training school including penquins. It certainly has it's faults but is better than nothing. Worth having for a couple of bucks but I would not spend 420 or so for it. Under $10, not bad.

Checked my book WAR MOVIES and it said that it was a lack luster production because the studio kept it to a small budget. Directed bt William Wellman himself a veteran of the Foriegn Legion. The flying scenes are kept to a minmum. Typical hollywood of the late fifties.

drinks.gif Olham: From what I recollect of the Film. Tab Hunter was the Yankee in the film. they used replica ? Penquins a type of training a/c for the time period with clipped wings They sort of drove them on the ground and that was about all no real flying a/c . It does have a hollywood drama to it,Salute.gif

Also, since RC mentioned William Wellman it should be noted that not only was he member of the French Foreign Legion, he also went on to serve in the French Air Service as a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps in Esc N87. He wrote a book about those experiences called, "Go Get 'Em!", which is another first edition that resides on my shelves, (I know: brag, brag, brag). And, he directed another earlier film about WWI flyers back in 1927 that was considerably better. A little production called "Wings".

Lafayette Escadrille was the last film directed by Mr. Wellman. His movie Wings won the first academy award for best picture. I have the book "Wings" written by John Monk Saunders including plates from the movie and published in 1927 on my bookshelf. I have the movie on VHS and can recommend it highly. The organ music might get to you after a bit but it's a silent fim and does have some actual WWI aircraft. That dumbassed book I referenced for Lafayette Esc. does not have an entry for "Wings", nice one.

Hmm - sounds like I should rather search for Dawn Patrol.

I'm not a great collector of WW1 stuff, you know, I am going more for the essentials.

Thank you all - will search for "Wings" as well.