Stary

HR SF2E GermanyCE terrain update part 1 of 2

HR SF2E GermanyCE terrain update part 1 of 2

High Resolution (1024x1024) SF2E GermanyCE terrain update part 1 of 2

This package, split into two parts, is full visual update to SF2E Germany map. Created from scratch, includes high resolution (1024 x 1024 pixels) seasonal tilesets to create 5 distinctive seasons in game (6, actually). Many areas of Germany, aswell as airbase areas were retiled with new custom seasonal tiles.

Included is also newer high resolution, high density treemod with updated graphics.

!!!PLEASE NOTE THIS MOD WAS DEVELOPED FOR STRONG COMPUTERS!!!

You need 512MB Dx10 capable card to run it without slowdowns on full resolution.

• Like 4

Stary, will it work on series one?

Yes Gabriele,see his thread about it!

You must delete the various effect shaders on GermanyCE data.ini than you can go!

My problem is that my Video card run out textures and for examples if I start on ground the runways,part of the AC skin and pit texture are white or missing.

It's strange or maybe is related with Windows XP cause i've got a 1024mb gtx-280 DX-10 compatible,4Gb of ram.

This will happen with terrain texture settings on unlimited (NF-4+ or SF2E june patched) with texture set on high No Problem!

But a sort of vertical shimmering happens (like Vsync) not that i use Falcon's HDR plugin,I don't know if itcan be one of the causes.

For example i didn't notice huge FPS drops ,only the issue above!

Next month i will but another HDD inside my PC and here i will install Win7,than give another try!

But anyway a great Stary's job,as usual!

Excellent work, Stary!

A few issues/typos

In the GermanyCE.ini....

Latitude is listed as 80 degrees....as far as I know, Germany isn't located inside the Arctic circle...yet (perhaps in 10,000 years, due to polar procession :grin:). Changed it back to 51.111

For merged installs, you need (and forgot) to add the following lines:

LimitedNations=TRUE

GroundObjectTexture=green

A request: Can you create tod files with normal height trees? I enjoy flying CAS and Armed Recon at tree top level, and well, I find 200 foot tall trees to be somewhat of an immersion killer.

Overall, it's another home run... :good:

Excellent work, Stary!

A few issues/typos

In the GermanyCE.ini....

Latitude is listed as 80 degrees....as far as I know, Germany isn't located inside the Arctic circle...yet (perhaps in 10,000 years, due to polar procession :grin:). Changed it back to 51.111

For merged installs, you need (and forgot) to add the following lines:

LimitedNations=TRUE

GroundObjectTexture=green

A request: Can you create tod files with normal height trees? I enjoy flying CAS and Armed Recon at tree top level, and well, I find 200 foot tall trees to be somewhat of an immersion killer.

Overall, it's another home run... :good:

Fubar512,

yes, last time I visited Germany was still located in Europe -The typo seem to be leftover from the old NF3/4 data I had :blush:

I'll release standard/small trees too -just been away from home and there are Christmas coming too, so not much time in all the hastle -And I hate rush :smile: sorry for any typos or lack of sense -literally falling asleep at the moment

As for merged installs -my bad, made on stand alone SF2E with NF4+ ontop of it, again sorry for this little omissions

Well despite my fears, and some tweaking, it runs quite good. There's a little stutter so far (no aircraft, just me flying around for a "feel" of the terrain). Still prefer Jan Tuma's HFD, but still the terrain is very nice :good:

Jan's HFD is heightfield file -I think it could be used here without problems... I did new TFD (tile layout file) only, no heightfield modifications from my side (well, not public ones :smile:)

:smile: still even the default one is good, so it's hilly enough for my tastes :smile:

Eric, I was trying to merge DEM->Bmp data to have 250m heightfield resolution (as opposed to default 500m) but without much luck ..yet!

Ahh well... that's fine, I'm sticking with yours for now, it's just beautiful :smile:

• Like 1

Hi,

this is excellent work, just my 2 points / cents:

- there are much too many (rectangular) streets and ways through the landscape, and they are too bright / stand out too much

- we need some villages: germany has lots of them

just my point of view

sokol

germany :-)

Hi,

this is excellent work, just my 2 points / cents:

- there are much too many (rectangular) streets and ways through the landscape, and they are too bright / stand out too much

- we need some villages: germany has lots of them

just my point of view

sokol

germany :-)

Hello Sokol!

ad.1 -these aren't exactly roads or streets, more like field road between fields -I wrote in readme that I wanted to keep the mood of original Thirdwire textures, in fact I painted most of my new textures over (resized) original ones, including the fields layout

ad.2 -I know, been several times in Germany as a kid (my aunt still lives in Karlsruche, my dad worked in Leipzig some time), but as an architect in real life I hate to put in flatroof houses (frostrating engine limitation), there was version with slightly different cities and villages at some point but I scrapped that version, maybe in update, but other projects have bigger priority now (you'll like those projects I hope)

here's saved shot of the other cities idea that I dropped in the process:

again, maybe in some update :dntknw:

so I'll wait for your work :-)

for the time being i downcolored the roads, looks fine for me.

btw which editor do you use to place all those trees so exactly on these large tiles ? TKs terrain editor ?

thx

sokol

Yes, standard Terrain Editor (version from 2006)

Hello Sokol!

ad.1 -these aren't exactly roads or streets, more like field road between fields -I wrote in readme that I wanted to keep the mood of original Thirdwire textures, in fact I painted most of my new textures over (resized) original ones, including the fields layout

ad.2 -I know, been several times in Germany as a kid (my aunt still lives in Karlsruche, my dad worked in Leipzig some time), but as an architect in real life I hate to put in flatroof houses (frostrating engine limitation), there was version with slightly different cities and villages at some point but I scrapped that version, maybe in update, but other projects have bigger priority now (you'll like those projects I hope)

here's saved shot of the other cities idea that I dropped in the process:

again, maybe in some update :dntknw:

i think this version looks totally worth finishing and publishing .... nice work

just some feedback.

my pc specs, i7 860 (turbo clocks up to 3300 when running SF), 6 Gb 1600 ddr3 ram, Radeon 5850 1Gb. 1680x1050 22" monitor. Win7 x64. I get stutters if i use this mod with unlimited ground objects ... reducing ground objects to high, keeping everything else unlimited reduces stutters significantly ... It seems its again CPU limited ... Pitty that SF still runs on a single thread alone ... 7 more are being lazy waiting for something to do ...

Squid, can you reroute your other background apps? I guess you've already done this. Are new apps being written for two threads?

About tiled roofed buildings, isnt there a chance you can maybe use ones from First Eagles? .... Is there some legal issue?

About tiled roofed buildings, isnt there a chance you can maybe use ones from First Eagles? .... Is there some legal issue?

Yes there is.

Really a superb job, Stary! On a sidenote, how do I fix this issue:

img00004o.th.jpg

img00005.th.jpg

it's [AlphaObjectMateria] setting in Germanyce_data.ini, try these settings:

[AlphaObjectTextureMaterial]

EffectShaderName=terAlphaObject.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=NO_CULL

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=2.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_BLEND_TEXTURE_ALPHA

That's much better now, although another, well known bug became evident (seeing trees through trees). I guess it's some engine related depth buffer issue. I'll settle with your settings until TK fixes this, thanks!

Dzięki! ;)

it's known bug, reported to TK at least several times, I don't think TK's going to fix it thou...

Hi guys. I'm a total noob, so please be gentle!

I bought SF2E yesterday... My first foray into the Thirdline games. :) I think it's awesome so far!

This Germany terrain update is the first mod I've tried. I have to say... It looks awesome! I am having one minor problem with the instructions... I'm not sure how to go about editing the FLIGHTENGINE.INI file. Well, I can extract it (I've got the CatPack tool), and I can edit it as described. However, I'm not sure where to PUT the edited file?

This is what I've tried so far...

* I extracted flightengine.ini from FlightData.cat in the \Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Flight, and the CatPack tool made a folder called FlightData under Flight. Edits to the DetailMeshSize (for [unlimitedDetailOption]) don't seem to make a difference, and trees are still rendering very close.

* So I moved the flightengine.ini up a directory, i.e. into \Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Flight, and this didn't help.

* So I created a folder called Flight in C:\Users\Darren\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe, and put the file there. Now the game launches, but when I click Fly I get a black screen.

* So I extracted the full FlightData.cat to C:\Users\Darren\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\Flight. It created a folder called FlightData for this. I then edited the FlightEngine.ini file in this new location. But again, it made no difference.

So, to summarise:

* I've installed the new terrain and it looks great!

* But because I'm a total idiot-noob, I don't know where to put the edited flightengine.ini to make it work.

Thanks for looking!