Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

Impressions of HitR

Hey guys,

After a few days of frustration with my system and a lot of help from the fellow pilots here on the board, I finally got HitR up and running!

I have to say I'm very impressed. The textures in the cockpits of planes like the N28 look great. My frame rate seems consistent even though it looks like there's a lot more being rendered on the ground now.

I finally started a campaign last night with an American pilot in the fighting 94th. Watching my fellow American pilots taking off around me really felt inspiring; especially seeing Rickenbacker taking off at the end of the airfield, talk about chills. Now I know what my German, French, and British counterparts have felt all along. The campaign missions are excellent - my flight stays in a nice loose formation and with the addition of wind buffeting they really "look" like they're flying - as if the forces of nature are acting on them as they struggle to remain airborne. We encountered heavy enemy air activity - several flights of beautifully skinned Albatros fighters. The first flight let us go, thankfully, as it looked like a full Jasta worth of them. We weren't as lucky coming back across the lines after patrolling the German skies. Two flights of Albatros fighters attacked - and quite intelligently as well. One pack of Albatroses went for A Flight, which had been flying top cover. The other group of Germans dived through that fight and came after us before we could help A flight out, it was eerie how well they intercepted us.

The AI fought pretty hard too - a little more laid back than BHAH but not nearly as bad as my first impression gave me in QC. The campaign AI seems more fully developed. After a hard fight, and downing two of the Germans we returned home.

So all in all I'm very impressed so far. You guys have done it again. If you're wondering why I'm posting at such a horrible hour (5am here in the States at the moment), I've been horribly sick all night and writing this post is taking my mind off how terrible my stomach has felt since 2am. I'm just glad to be at the point where I can sit and write for more than a few minutes at a time. Figures... the semester ends and the first day I have off I'm sick... ugh.

And while I'm confessing sins - I tried out the demo version of RoF while frustrated with HitR (perhaps that's why I'm sick? j/k). I was impressed with the graphics and the physics model but there really isn't much else going on in that sim. I think Widowmaker put it right on here a few days ago - do you want one wild and crazy night with someone filled with all beauty and no brains or do you want a long term relationship? I'm putting my money on the long run and sticking with OFF.

Ugh... time to crawl back into bed and pray for death...

Watching my fellow American pilots taking off around me really felt inspiring; especially seeing Rickenbacker taking off at

the end of the airfield, talk about chills. Now I know what my German, French, and British counterparts have felt all along.

Oh yes, I know what you mean! Never thought about that, but didn't you already have some of "your" aces before in BHaH?

We weren't as lucky coming back across the lines after patrolling the German skies. Two flights of Albatros fighters

attacked - and quite intelligently as well. One pack of Albatroses went for A Flight, which had been flying top cover.

The other group of Germans dived through that fight and came after us before we could help A flight out, it was eerie

how well they intercepted us.

Great - I'm also very happy so far with AI - not like the Devs, who say it's not doimg right.

And if they should decide to go back to 1.32g with a patch, I think, I won't patch it.

Figures... the semester ends and the first day I have off I'm sick... ugh. Ugh... time to crawl back into bed and pray for death...

I wish you are very quick recovery! And a lot of fun among your aces - I know it feels great!

Edited by Olham

After initially not noticing any changes to the wind, I can now say that I know what it is to fly against the wind. Couldn't catch up with my mates yesterday in my old Nupe 11! Flying the crates with wind enabled makes it much more difficult to control the planes, especially the Fokkers seem to suffer, it seems. Great effect though, both in sound and behavior.good.gif