Sign in to follow this  
BirdDogICT

Catalyst 9.12 Drivers Out

I noticed an immediate increase in FPS from avg 28 to 33 with HItR, and just jumped to avg 39 with Catalyst 9.12 drivers and the usual ATI tweaks (the one exception is that I didn't set max FPS). The only change I've made is to reduce ground density to the lowest setting. Nary a hiccup. That's with a 512Mb ATI 4870 with AA and AF maxed out, Sliders at 53355 and 1920X1080 resolution and AMD Opteron 185 OC'd to 3.0GHz, 3Mb DDR 550 memory in XP SP3. I was afraid I'd have to upgrade my PC for HItR, but no need.

Really enjoy the AI, even though it's not quite as tough as before, but it's evened out by the wind effects scattering my shots more than before. Enemies holding their altitude seems so much more realistic.

HItR is the best early Christmas present!!

Edited by BirdDogICT

Great thanks for the heads up BirdDogICT, I recently got a 5870 so we could test with (and to see some DX11 coming ;)) and was hoping they'd tweak the early drivers as they go along.

I'll try tonight with XP and Win7 in my 4890. I'll report.

EDIT: Pol you'll need those set of drivers. Those new cards they surely need it. Rumours says that ATI haven't yet tweaked enough the drivers for their new cards, because they are waiting for Nvidia launch.

Rumors appart the fact is that 9.11 were a shallow set of drivers.

And next month 10.1 will be launch. Expect further improvements with the 5870.

Edited by Von Paulus

Thanks for the news - installed it on my newer rig (ATI 4870).

Do you think it wouldd also make improvements on my older rig (RADEON X1900) ?

Definitely I see an improvement in XP. 10/15 fps more.

Not so much in Win7 but probably I had already the maximum performance I can expect with my system.

But as far as I've been reading in another forums, yes it seems this set is a must for ATI owners.

There is already a hotfix: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

Ah thanks Von Paulus, yeah they always seem to hold back some for later.. makes you wonder if there is always 30% held back deliberately ;).

thanks for the info.

im receiving my new ATI 5970 today for Xmas.

from Morris to Morris.

I've never had turned on Catalyst A.I. in OFF.

So I decided to give it a try.

And I 'm now completely amazed with the extra smoothness I got without loosing really many FPS. :yikes:

Tried in both XP and Win7 and the results are just really fantastic.

With AI on, AA2x and AF4x, OFF HiTR looks great and smoootttthhhhhh.

EDIT: I set the AI Catalyst for High.

Edited by Von Paulus

I've never had turned on Catalyst A.I. in OFF.

So I decided to give it a try.

And I 'm now completely amazed with the extra smoothness I got without loosing really many FPS. yikes.gif

Tried in both XP and Win7 and the results are just really fantastic.

With AI on, AA2x and AF4x, OFF HiTR looks great and smoootttthhhhhh.

EDIT: I set the AI Catalyst for High.

Can't agree with you more, Von Paulus. I used Catalyst A.I. and Adaptive AF when BHaH first came out (was that almost a year ago???) and liked the results but they were resource hogs, killing my already low FPS. Not now, with the combination of HItR and new Catalyst 9.12 drivers. Smooth and no real FPS hit at all...still averaging 39-40 in ten plane furrballs over the airfield.

This just keeps getting better.

Better late than never! cool.gif

Enjoying your new 4870 aren't you? I have now collected many of your new screenshots and they are now my favorite Desktops. Thanks!!!

Edited by BirdDogICT

Thanks, BirdDog - yep, it's fun. Just had a fight in my Jasta 6 Fokker E.V, and the overall look

of landscape and sky was so good, I almost forgot the SPAD XIIIs circling overhead!