Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

Geforce Fx 5600 Problems

My friend has had a boatload of problems with his PC, mainly with glitching and artifacts problems when playing games. His 3D apps always flicker and never display as crisp and fast as they should.

I've installed the latest GeForce drivers and DirectX, tried different display settings, everything, and I can't fix it for him. I used to have the same problems with my older Ati 8500, actually.

Just wondering if any of you guys had these same problems or know how to fix them.

I'm an ATI guy, so I can't help you specifically, but artifacts/glitches can often be attributed to several things:

• Overclocking too high - If he's overclocked the card have him back down the speed a little at a time until they go away
  • Bad or corrupted drivers - Try removing the old drivers and reinstall with the latest and greatest

Sorry, just noticed you said you were using the latest drivers. Maybe a bad install? Try cleaning off the drivers and starting fresh. ;)

Well, this is about the fourth time we've formatted his HD and installed fresh everything. We've tried the original drivers as well as the new, and his PC isn't overclocked at all.

The real shocker is that his PC is an Alienware, and we've tried all the support software they've sent and still haven't licked the problem. We're both getting kind of fed up with Alienware.

Maybe a bad vid card, did Alienware try swapping out the card?

Any GForce users out there that can shed some light on the problem? :huh:

Yeah, I keep telling him to get Alienware to replace the card.

I don't know if thats the whole problem though. I used to have the same problems with my Radeon 8500.

Inadequate cooling could be an issue? I know, grasping at straws now... ;)

Not really grasping, the heat issue could be it. We don't exactly have our PC's in a very good spot here, room in the barracks being small. Ours both sit on the floor, with lots of dust and poor venitilation. I'll have to check that out, make sure the card isn't lodged against any other hot items, etc.