Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

F-4 Ailerons to work with the SF2V Expansion Pack Gold

In the SF2V the F-4's ailerons haven't been animated until TK fixed this with his Dec 2009-patch.

After applying the patch and running the Expansion Pack v2 Gold, I see the F-4J's ailerons being animated, but none of the other F-4's.

Comparing the stock mod-folder-generated-after-running-the-game-once with the XP-Gold-modded one, I see no DATA.INI's for the F-4's in the original version - so reason seems to be a value/entry overwritten by the XP Gold.

I asked in the TW-forum, and here is, what I have been able to find out.

First, this is what TK replied:

"Well, I think you have modded (or extracted old) F-4 data.INI and/or .LOD file. You need to check the Aileron section and make sure the aileron model node name matches the node name in the LOD.

What does your ModelNodeName= under [LeftAileron] and [RightAileron] say? If you're using current stock .LOD (ie, you don't have old .LOD extracted), they should say aileron_left and aileron_right ."

Before checking that, I made a comparison between the J's and the other's // Control Surfaces:

1) The F-4J's DATA.INI included sections [LeftAileronDroop] and [RightAileronDroop] not found on the other F-4's.

I asked whether adding those entries to the other F-4's would do the trick, but TK wrote:

"...no, [LeftAileronDroop] and [RightAileronDroop] should only be in F-4J, as that version has the aileron droop for landing flap setting."

So, no-go on that.

2) Instead (and in place) of the [LeftAileronDroop] and [RightAileronDroop] the other F-4_DATA.INI's have [LeftLEFlapInner2] and [RightLEFlapInner2] with only slight differences in the entered values. But the Droops do have "ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE", whereas the Inners don't have any such line.

Next I checked and compared the [LeftAileron] and [RightAileron] entries for "ModelNodeName":

The J has "ModelNodeName=aileron_left" whereas the other F-4's have "ModelNodeName=drooping_aileron_left" (both for "right" accordingly) entered there..... (Unfortunately I cannot check back if those names - without the "drooping" do match the ones in the .LOD - anybody can? But I think the Gold didn't rework the .LOD's - exception see below.)

Well, TK said, those entries should read "aileron_left" and "aileron_right" - so my bold assumption is that changing those values accordingly might fix the problem.

I changed those entries but was not yet able to test them yet (will do on the weekend).

If you want to try before, I add revised DATA.INI's for all the F-4's (except the working J) included in the Gold - the ONLY change made was replacing the "ModelNodeNames" with "aileron_left" and "aileron_right", the rest remains unchanged.

Just drop the new DATA.INI's into their respective aircraft-folders, overwriting the existing ones (and don't forget to save back-ups of the original DATA.INI's before!)

A note on the OWL- and RIVET HASTE-F-4's coming into the game with the XP Gold:

I didn't check those for working ailerons before and (if they were not animated) I cannot say, if this will work for both aircraft too, (as those may/do have modded .LOD's in the /Aircraft folder), but I noticed the OWL having the same entries like the B-E's (so the change might do the trick) and the RH does already have the same entry as the J - so no change necessary there.

Just a disclaimer: there might be some more work necessary for those...

I hope my changed DATA.INI's solve the ailerons not being animated...

Edited by stingray77

Yup, that seems to work great (at least the two aircraft I checked have full ailerons now)...

I only forgot same for F-4_67! You can easly do yourself: just delete "drooping_" from the ailerons in the DATA.INI

BUT: I checked the Rivet Haste and it does NOT have animated ailerons... Anybody to shed more light on THAT?

Okay, here's the (fully tested) summary now...

The fix works for the following:

- EF-4C

- F-4B

- F-4B_65

- F-4B_67

- F-4C

- F-4C_67

- F-4D

- F-4D_67

- F-4D_69

- F-4E

- F-4E_72

F-4's OWL, Rivet Haste and the to RF-4B/C do have their own set of .LODs - so the aileron-fix doesn't work there.

Enclosed the (final!) zipped original and new DATA.INIs.

Just drop the contents of the "new" into your /Aircraft-folder and let the DATA.INIs be overwritten with the new ones. The "original"-folder serves as back-up of the original DATA.INIs.

F-4 DATA INIs.zip