Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

And Speaking Of Gunsights

Since Ricnunes brought it up in his N24 post, is there a way we can add our own gunsights to the OFF planes? It was not at all unusual for our Great War counterparts to fashion their own sights on their aeroplanes, (or tweak existing ones), as a means to improve their aim. I imagine this has been discussed before around here, and I am curious what was determined during those talks.

Cheers!

Lou

On the N24 just make sure your head is centred then use the crossed wires to gauge along with tracers.

Thanks for the info uncleal, and thanks for the advise Pol. That is pretty much how I aim the N24 now. I don't know that I would even use an add-on sight as I shoot more by feel than anything else. I was asking the question primarily for my own edification.

Cheers!

Lou

I have to say that when it comes to gunsights, I don't generally pay much attention to them. If you have to line yourself up with the sight, you can't be checking your tail, and who's there. In most planes, the sight is barely worth the effort, and in others - the Halberstadt springs to mind - you're better off just pumping off half a dozen rounds before you get into the potential combat area and observe the tracer. Fix it in your mind, and Bob's your uncle.

I agree with SRC: before taking a plane up in the campaign, go into QC and firing off a few bursts before starting the engine, to see where the tracer goes in relation to some part of the plane visible from your seat. The take off and try strafing stuff about the airfield.

But when all else fails, get in CLOSE.