Sign in to follow this  
nbryant

Interesting Event

Went on my first sortie covering a flight of Sopwith 1 1/2's behind lines to make a few morning drops on an army bivouac with the Escadrille in Spad VII's. Flight departed just after 8 a.m. and within the half hour we were oversite and the Strutters were dishing out their morning wake up call. We were welcomed by a flight of four DIII's and they mixed it up with our flight of eight. I was able tp pounce on one and after making a second pass, along with two mates, I place about 40 rounds into him and that was enough for him to go into a controlled descent but unfortunately for him he could not manuever around a tree line. I immediately banked and began climbing to regain altitude and rejoin the flight and as I did I passed over a local airbase. Flak was chasing me and I fluttered left and right to lessen their targeting ability but it wasn't good enough. A shell burst close to me and made a mess of my crate, worst of all it damaged the engine. It sputtered something terrible but I pushed the throttle forward realizing the need to gain altitude. She coughed and spit but continued firing. I turned west and was able to climb to 8000 ft and make another 20 minutes. This was enough to bring me just to our side of the front and while turning to head to my field the engine had enough and died. As the airframe settled I looked around and saw a spotter nearby and began making my way to them intending to land nearby. Dead sticking it I was making my approach when I realized the area was full of tree stumps and not wanting to take any chance with them I rolled left and quickly found a field adjacent to a small town and rolled in thier easily. An eventful and exciting morning to say the least. Time on deck, approximately 0930 and I was at least 20-25 miles from home.

So the game goes back to the squadron screen and I fill in my claim and return to the duty room and it is now 1230 on the same day and I am scheduled for another sortie. Damn, the squadorn is staffed and I know the new guy is always abused but let me try to catch my wits about me before sending me out again!

Yep, there's a war going on. Man that was a close shave, a near run thing. That horrible feeling of not knowing if your kite will keep it together long enough to make it back across the front. That happened to me not long ago. I was brought down the same way but did not make the front. My best DiD pilot, captured. But then I got the happy message that he escaped 20 days later. I could hardly believe it.

I didn't realize escape was possible! Logged that in my note.

Yes, nbryant, sometimes, when you land in enemy terrain, the sim says something like:

"You where captured, but you could escape after 20 days." It seems to me, that you get it more,

the closer you land to the line. but that may be just my impression.

So the game goes back to the squadron screen and I fill in my claim and return to the duty room and it is now 1230 on the same day and I am scheduled for another sortie. Damn, the squadorn is staffed and I know the new guy is always abused but let me try to catch my wits about me before sending me out again!

Congrats on your narrow escape. I really hate it when my motor's acting up like that, because (although I've never seen it happen yet), I'm sure it'll catch fire if I run it too long.

Anyway, the thing about being put on the very next op after this is exactly why I use manual time advance. Everybody else in your squadron takes leave periodically, even when all leave should be cancelled due to heavy losses and high-intensity operations. But for some reason, you never get any leave. Thus, the only chance you get to relax is when you make a forced landing.

I look forward to such mishaps, because there's always a farmer's daughter and a haystack in the vicinity. I advance time a couple of days to the point where her father comes at me with a pitchfork, and then hoof it to civilization, find a phone, and call for a ride back to base cool.gif .

Congrats on your narrow escape. I really hate it when my motor's acting up like that, because (although I've never seen it happen yet), I'm sure it'll catch fire if I run it too long.

Anyway, the thing about being put on the very next op after this is exactly why I use manual time advance. Everybody else in your squadron takes leave periodically, even when all leave should be cancelled due to heavy losses and high-intensity operations. But for some reason, you never get any leave. Thus, the only chance you get to relax is when you make a forced landing.

I look forward to such mishaps, because there's always a farmer's daughter and a haystack in the vicinity. I advance time a couple of days to the point where her father comes at me with a pitchfork, and then hoof it to civilization, find a phone, and call for a ride back to base cool.gif .

You do realize contraception isn't modelled in OFF? Don't be a cad sir.

You do realize contraception isn't modelled in OFF? Don't be a cad sir.

I assure you that I'm acting on purely humanitarian grounds, doing my little bit to help in the recovery of Europe from this terrible war. After all, what will be the point of rebuilding the towns and cities afterwards if there's nobody to live in them? But my task is colossal, I'm afraid. I doubt my best efforts will make much of a dent in the butcher's bill in just today's newspaper, let alone all the others, but we must do what we can. And time marches on, so it's best to get started on the project at once. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining my noble cause?

:rofl: We all know YOUR idea of humanitarian aid, Bullethead! Be careful it doesn't turn into "aids"! :lol:

That was the thing in my case Uncleal. I didn't expect to escape because I was flying DiD at the time. It's nice to know it's possible even in DiD to bust out and get back to the action.

Still, use your "French envelopes" just to be safe. grin.gif

As Siggi so correctly observed, these aren't modeled in OFF. And besides, they would defeat the whole purpose of my crusade to repopulate Europe.

BH,

I'm glad that you are finally turning your amorous attentions to the French lasses. The sheep have been complaining and I think they are all worn out! :heat::blink: