Sign in to follow this  
Buffin

Belgium

I want to ask, will also be included in future Air Force nationality Belgium? :grin:  In the game, Red Baron II, the State has been given. Have a check with a lot of professional success. It's great flight simulator. :good:Buffo

I want to ask, will also be included in future Air Force nationality Belgium? :grin: In the game, Red Baron II, the State has been given. Have a check with a lot of professional success. It's great flight simulator. :good:Buffo

Hello Buffin,

Yes, we would very much like to. However, we first need to build a Hanriot, and we only have two modellers, but as soon as we get one built, we will add 'gallant little Belgium'.

Cheers,

shredward

Hello Buffin,

Yes, we would very much like to. However, we first need to build a Hanriot, and we only have two modellers, but as soon as we get one built, we will add 'gallant little Belgium'.

Cheers,

shredward

SUPER !!! Thanks so much for the answer. :good:

Hi Buffin, if you want to fly a hanriot come over to the dark side, MP that is we have a flyable HD1 you can try out.I'am on my note book at the moment but later i will post you some screenies of it in action...

Funny it had a pilot before HitR? One of Stumps creations yet again not a OFF original.

Edited by Red-Dog

Nice bird - and TWO guns??? Quite a competition for German craft!

Thank you for considering :good:

Just thinking out loud... But since the Belgian air force also used Nieuports and Sopwith Camels, it may be possible to add a squadron (even if only AI) in the French Air Force. I'm sure most of my compatriots wouldn't mind the simplification for once :grin: Maybe an idea for a mod?

Thank you for considering good.gif

Just thinking out loud... But since the Belgian air force also used Nieuports and Sopwith Camels, it may be possible to add a squadron (even if only AI) in the French Air Force. I'm sure most of my compatriots wouldn't mind the simplification for once grin.gif Maybe an idea for a mod?

Ready to serve as a Belgian in the French air service!Salute.gif Bring on the balloons, so, we can bust them all!

BTW, is that the Hanriot from Phase2? I remember flying one that looked just like that one!

Edited by foreigndevil

Ready to serve as a Belgian in the French air service!Salute.gif Bring on the balloons, so, we can bust them all!

BTW, is that the Hanriot from Phase2? I remember flying one that looked just like that one!

IIRC, that's the Phase 1 Hanriot

I don't think OBD owns the rights so they'll have to create their own

It was a poplar crate

Brave little Belgium. I have a lot of respect for that small yet fiesty country. And the HD-1 was definitely better than the Nieup, so I have a hunch you are right about how the contract was awarded uncleal. "More grease here. We need more grease!"

If I remember correctly, the Hanriot was offered as a replacement for the N.17, but the SPAD VII was chosen instead. And that wasn't a bad decision at all, considering how well the SPADs, both S.VII and especially S.XIII performed as fighters.

Belgians usually had to do with what their allies decided to give them, and since the French had no use for the Hanriots, the Belgians got them instead and were pleasantly surprised by the type's performance. But the Italian air force was the biggest user of Hanriots - most of their fighter squadrons were equipped with them.

As long as we've got a Belgian available, I'd like to know something....

Some time ago, I leaned that there are a number of small pieces of Belgium scattered about within the external boundaries of the southern Netherlands. It's my understanding that these Belgian "islands" were created long before WW1. So what happened in these "islands" during WW1? How did the neutrality of the totally surrounding Netherlands affect things like beligerant troops crossing the borders?

I ask because a while back, I made huge navigation error and found myself near the German-Netherlands border without enough fuel to get home. So I headed for the Dutch border and landed on the edge of a city, which I later looked up on the map and discovered was Chimay. OFF said I was captured for landing in enemy (or neutral territory). However, I know Chimay is in Belgium because I'm a huge fan of the Trappist beer they make there. So don't you think I actually landed in the friendly territory of a free corner of Belgium, even if surrounded by the Netherlands?

What would have been my fate in real life? Could I have gotten back to the front from there?

Edited by Bullethead

I can tell you for sure that Chimay is very much in the heart of Belgium (much closer to the French border than to the Dutch border), so unless it was early August 1914 you'd have been captured by the occupying Germans.

There are indeed a few Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands, but those are all small towns... Throughout the war, there was a lot of smuggling activity going on along the Belgian-Dutch border (not only goods, but also fugitives). So much in fact, that the German authorities put high voltage fences along the border and pressured the Dutch government to build similar fences around the Belgian enclaves. So while those territories weren't physically occupied, they were pretty much cut off. More info here: http://www.greatwar.nl/frames/default-fence.html (warning, the page contains some shocking images)

The biggest Belgian territory that was unoccupied was its colony, the Congo (Belgian colonial troops actually occupied parts of the neigbouring German East Africa for some time).

Edited by Johan217

Beautiful craft, and great pic, UncleAl.

And I can sleep well again - only ONE gun!

Belgians flew Hanriots, BE2s (stock and Hispano Suiza modified), RE8s (stock and Hispano Suiza modified), Farmans (stock and modified), Nieuport 17s and 23s, Sopwith Camels, Breguet 14s, SPAD VIIs and SPAD XIIIs, among others. Plenty to keep us in the skies!

BTW, drawing the profiles for an Aviation Militaire Belge book due out next year, written by Walter Pieters. It will be THE Belgian reference source.

I can tell you for sure that Chimay is very much in the heart of Belgium (much closer to the French border than to the Dutch border), so unless it was early August 1914 you'd have been captured by the occupying Germans.

I came down near Eindoven, but I could have sworn I saw a Chimay on the map nearby. Maybe both countries have a Chimay? But I was REALLY lost at the time, so who knows?

There are indeed a few Belgian enclaves in the Netherlands, but those are all small towns... Throughout the war, there was a lot of smuggling activity going on along the Belgian-Dutch border (not only goods, but also fugitives). So much in fact, that the German authorities put high voltage fences along the border and pressured the Dutch government to build similar fences around the Belgian enclaves. So while those territories weren't physically occupied, they were pretty much cut off. More info here: http://www.greatwar....ault-fence.html (warning, the page contains some shocking images)

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I came down near Eindoven, but I could have sworn I saw a Chimay on the map nearby. Maybe both countries have a Chimay? But I was REALLY lost at the time, so who knows?

I doubt there is a place called Chimay (a French name) anywhere in the Netherlands. Either you misread the name, or maybe the map in CFS3/OFF isn't exact. In any case, it looks like For you ze vvar ist over :grin:

It is now my great displeasure to ask what is belguim doing about this

http://www.greatwar....ault-color.html 10 down in grey

If that's not enough, what is the official responce to this

http://www.greatwar....ault-color.html 11th down in grey

As far as I can tell, the information on those pages is dated. I don't know what is being done about the gas shells in the sea, but I believe the munition stocks at Poelkapelle/Houthulst are being destroyed.

If anyone has some decent pics of Belgian Camels etc..I would love to skin some

Chimay - isn't that the place, where the monks brew that special beer?

WM, great minds think alike. I am currently working on the Camel of Belgian Ace Jan Olieslagers, which looks like this:

Camel_D.VII.JPG

I am hoping to have it wrapped up by the week-end.

And yes Olham, I belive BH mentioned that in his post.

Cheers!

Lou

Where are these craft exhibited, Lou?

I have never seen a D VII in that camo before - wonder if that is right?

Olham, they are on display at the Stampe and Vertongen Museum in Antwerp.

Boy's we already have Belgium nieuport 11's in the skins folder?

post-45885-12616636289716.jpg

post-45885-12616636391322.jpg