Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

My antivirus doesn't like HitR

Greetings, all!

Purchased, downloaded, and installed HitR the other day. During installation, my antivirus program, Avira AntiVir, detected files <is-48J1A.tmp> and <is-CI-0O1.tmp> as TR/Dropper.Gen trojans.

I clicked "ignore".

Now every time I try to start OFF, AntiVir pops up saying OFFManager is the TR/Dropper.Gen trojan. My OFF shortcut is in a folder on the desktop named GAMES along with about 20 other shortcuts. Whenever I just open the FOLDER, AntiVir pops up with the same message. I can disable AntiVir before I play, but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Two questions:

I can assume my AntiVir is WRONG, correct? I mean there's no way a virus could have been downloaded with the HitR file, right?

Secondly, does anyone know if there's a way to tell AntiVir to permanently "ignore" these files?

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, loving HitR. good.gif

In modern Anti-Virus programs should be a "game mode", that recognises,

that a game or sim is going on.

If you don't have that, simply switch Anti-Virus off - shouldn't be a hassle.

I think, it will even remind you, when you switch the rig on again, that it is

still switched off.

Greetings, all!

Purchased, downloaded, and installed HitR the other day. During installation, my antivirus program, Avira AntiVir, detected files <is-48J1A.tmp> and <is-CI-0O1.tmp> as TR/Dropper.Gen trojans.

I clicked "ignore".

Now every time I try to start OFF, AntiVir pops up saying OFFManager is the TR/Dropper.Gen trojan. My OFF shortcut is in a folder on the desktop named GAMES along with about 20 other shortcuts. Whenever I just open the FOLDER, AntiVir pops up with the same message. I can disable AntiVir before I play, but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Two questions:

I can assume my AntiVir is WRONG, correct? I mean there's no way a virus could have been downloaded with the HitR file, right?

Secondly, does anyone know if there's a way to tell AntiVir to permanently "ignore" these files?

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, loving HitR. good.gif

Underdog,

I too was having the same issue. I got this from the Antivir Forum http://forum.combatace.com/topic/50192-off-exe-manager-is-registering-as-a-trojen/ Scroll down to the little proceedure to stop Antivir's little annoying popup.

Avira often finds false positives and is what you get with AV that uses aggressive scans. If you bring up Avira and got to expert settings you just exclude the files from the AV scanner and the guard. Also, you should right click the tray icon and uncheck 'AntiVir Guard enable' during gaming sessions so it isn't using any resources to monitor files while gaming.

As we speak, Norton protection suite 2010 is in the mail

Oh Dear...Poor old Uncleal :salute:

Norton is supposedly quite good now and not a resource hog like it used to be. When I installed OFF this morning Avira detected a trojan in the 'OFFManager.exe' but I scanned it wiht Malwarebytes manually and was clean so just added it to Avira exceptions list. You have to be careful with these AV progs because if you allow them to auto delete or quarantine a suspected file and it is a system file then it can pooch your system. That happened to thousands of people just 2 weeks ago because Avast update was bad and detected virii in a ton of Windows system files and people had the default auto qauarantine set. I always set my AV to report only for that reason. If you ever get a file you are not sure about then go to the below url and have it scanned with multiple engines for free.

http://virscan.org/

Heavens - if the old pilots had known, what we worry about today...!

As we speak, Norton protection suite 2010 is in the mail

There is an English saying which is something about fires and frying pans :heat:

Quite a few people seem to be using Avira, but I'm not sure it's a very good program at all. Surely there are better free programs available. I'm no expert though, as I've never used free anti-virus software.

I don't know about the latest Norton, but the version I had a couple of years ago was simply AWFUL. It seemed to eat up all of my PCs resources and was clumsy as hell to use. I switched to F-Secure and haven't had any problems since. The latest version is really quick and light on my PC.