Sign in to follow this  
Looxgood

Pilot Survivability in WOE/WOI/WOV...is there a way to change it?

I bought WOI a while ago, and one thing that really bugs me is pilot survivability. When my F-15 Eagle or F-4 Phantom gets struck with a missile, SAM or Archer, pilot dies!!!!

C'mon, F-15 or F-4E are made with super alloy - when the planes get struck with missiles, even with telephon poll such as SA-2, planes will fall apart, but pilots will survive and have more than enough time to eject. That's how Randy Cunningham survived, right? So as Hollywood & Wolfman from Top Gun :) .

But in this sim, even if you get hit by air-to-air missile, such as archer (with small warhead), Eagle or Phantom pilots are dead with a single shot! That's not right, isn't it? Or am I the only one who feels this way?

So is there way to modify the pilot's survivability in the sim? I heard that you have to change armor thickness - is there a constructive method to do that for all planes (like some sort of editor)?

Thank you so much in advance for your responses.

Edited by Looxgood

I used to have a problem with my plane taking very light damage (2 rounds of .50 cal AAA), and my pilots being "dead" regardless of where the bullets hit and if I returned home or not. I found that increasing the thickness of the cockpit armor solved this problem, though there's probably a more... scientific method.

That being said, are you talking about pilots being able to survive in damaged aircraft, or aircraft being able to survive more then just one hit from enemy weapons?

I usually get enough time to eject.

Though it's about 50% of the time.

Don't know the historical rate.

It's something that's bugged me since day 1.

*I think* it happens so often and badly because the way the pilot/cockpit is parented to the fuselage (or nose, which is in turn parented to fuselage) And when the parented part is hit and destroyed, the pilot is considered destroyed. That would account for 9/10 times you're dead instantly regardless of plane or armor. In that 1/10 instance the killing shot probably hit a wing or tail and the pilot unaffected.

ArmorType=Impervium :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

ArmorType=Impervium :rofl:

wrench

kevin stein

Ba,

Impervium is inferior to Unobtanium. Why not simply create an entire aircraft from Unobtanium? Spars, frames, bulkheads, skin, etc....

Ba,

Impervium is inferior to Unobtanium. Why not simply create an entire aircraft from Unobtanium? Spars, frames, bulkheads, skin, etc....

wasn't that the idea behind the F-22? :tongue:

Unfortunatly, all the Unobtanium was used in building "Virgil", the deep-earth exploratory ship. So, we're stuck with Impevium

---

Yes, you can upgrade the armor in ANY part of the aircraft....fer instance, the statement below is for one of the fuel tanks in a P-47:

[FuselageFuelCell1]

SystemType=FUEL_TANK

FuelTankID=1

MaxFuelAmount=704.89

SelfHealing=TRUE

FireSuppression=TRUE

MinExtentPosition=-0.5,1.0,-0.5

MaxExtentPosition=0.5,3.0,0.5

HasArmor=TRUE

ArmorMaterial=STEEL

Armor[REAR].Thickness=6

Armor