Sign in to follow this  
Spad13

Two-Seaters- why won't my gunners open fire?

Greetings to all, and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Now I've been flying some of those wonderful two seaters- but I have a problem. When we get jumped, the rear gunners don't fire. They still swivel around, but don't shoot. Is there a command button I need to push to tell these guys, "um, our plane is being shredded. Please consider shooting back"? I tried Tab-1, and that gets my formation to attack, but only as if they were fighters.

Thanks!

Hmmm...I don't fly 2-seaters much but I never had that problem. At least not in my experience with the Brisfit. :dntknw:

I am normally found wandering around in a Sopwith Strutter and the rear gunner only opens up when they are nearly point blank range... not fun...

Somewhere in the process of modding my two-seaters stopped firing aswell. I dont know what happened or how to fix it. Not sure if it's in each two-seater's Data.ini file or in the main AircraftObject.ini file. I havent messed with it that much yet. Didnt want to make it worse. But right now I dont have a PC. Waiting for my new tower. Should be nice setup. I hope I can retrieve my original FE from my old PCblink.gif

I'm glad to see you like the Strutter.

The gunners are set at a default firing range of 500 meters. If you want your gunner to open up at a longer range edit the data.ini file to 600 or 750 and see if that does the trick.

Look for this:

[Gunner]

SystemType=GUNNER_STATION

SeatID=2

GunnerID=1

PilotModelName=

GunnerBodyNodeName=gunner

SetCockpitPosition=FALSE

Position=-0.00,-1.34,0.22

MinExtentPosition=-0.184,-1.633,-0.919

MaxExtentPosition=0.335,-1.03,0.347

PitchModelNodeName=scarff_arm

YawModelNodeName=scarff_ring

GunRange=500 -----------------------------------------------------Edit this number.

PitchAngleRate=38

MaxPitch=27

MinPitch=-7

DefaultPitchAngle=20

YawLimited=TRUE

YawAngleRate=60

MaxYaw=270

MinYaw=90

DefaultYawAngle=180

Then please post your impression of the results.

Its also possible the gunner is set to use Peter's less accurate guns, open the _data.ini file and check the GunTypeName:

[Tailgun]

SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14

If it has something like

GunTypeName=7.92MM_PARABELLUM_MG14_Gunner

At the end of the line get rid of the _gunner bit.

All right now! I changed those settings like you all suggested, and now we're getting some rear gunner action! I can fly the strutter over the lines knowing that we won't be shot to pieces without a fight. I also removed the "_gunner" part, too on the German planes, and increased their range.

You modders have done a really wonderful job here with these additional planes! :salute:

Anybody going to do a Pfalz D-III? (Yes I know that other group has one...)

Anybody going to do a Pfalz D-III? (Yes I know that other group has one...)

Pfalz D.III? The fighter?

I got all my two-seaters' rear gunners to fire. But I'm having a problem with the DH-4 rear gunner. He doesnt seem to fire 99.9% of the time and when he does it's just one burst maybe every 10 seconds. But will only shoot twice or three times. Aso doesnt seem to be locking on to any close enemy aircraft.

I've checked all info in the DATA.ini file and all gunner info seems to be the same as other RAF two seaters that work just fine. Any ideas? Can someone post there DATA.ini file for their working gunner so I can compare? Thanks in advance.

Hi quack, LOL. You obviously like flying the DH4. And no wonder, you have done some excellent skins for it as well.

If the gunner is firing, but not often or very long, you can change it easily enough. You are probably using values I did, and if so, the 2-seater gunners I did/do don't fire as much (and are less accurate) because I always felt they were too lethal as AI.

On the other hand, if you are flying the plane, the gunners don't seem to shoot much - and even less for player than as AI. Must admit that ain't much fun if your a 2-seater flyer sort of guy.

You can change that:

In the [AIData] section change GunnerFireTime=2.5 (what TK uses usually) to something like 5.0. Increases lengths of bursts.

In the Crew section, in [Gunner] section, increase the yaw and pitch rates as the gunners will fire more often and be more accurate if the can swing their guns around to shoot. If too slow, they never get a bead on the enemy plane. Change the following to these values (used by TK):

PitchAngleRate=40

and .....

YawAngleRate=60

The ones I used were much less .... 25 and 32 respectively.

Those changes should do the trick :grin:.

Edited by peter01

That all sounds like it'll do the trick. Thanks Peter01drinks.gif . I'll give it a go tomorrow and will report back. I do find some 2-seaters are way too accurate and some are horrible shots. I need to find a good middle ground for sure. I do like attacking the ones that are horrible shots thoughgrin.gif

You're welcome quack.

It is good for players to know how to mod the gunners generally, I don't think there are any values for these things that keeps everyone happy - some like accurate gunners, some don't, and some don't but like them accurate except when they are flying a 2-seater (especially if it is a favourite plane).

BTW, as you pointed out some time ago, the DH4 FM I uploaded last year had some problems, and I did fix it eventually - much better now I think. After watching the forum discussion here some time ago, with some good ideas, decided to do a bigger engine for default DH4, and an extra Liberty engine 400hp US version for your excellent US skin (which I have been using, thanks very much :good:).

Decided now that the DH4 and a couple of 2-seater bombers will be first ones I update, and should be soon. Will be using the lower gunner capability numbers as usual for those again. Sorry, but you know now how to change them :salute:.

Edited by peter01

I dont know if you read the part about the DH-4's elevator response I was having problems with. At all speeds the elevator function works just fine and very responsive up till about 75% up. This is where the response is minimal. If I pull back full up on the stick the DH-4 seems to just flatten out. Hardly any positive pitch response. So I have to let up just a bit for it to grab again. Kind of har to explain. But I was wondering if you have fixed this problem? The DH-4 is the only that has this problem. And I never messed with the DATA file before.

Some new flight models for the bigger planes and two-seaters would be great.good.gif

Yeah, that has been fixed now quack. Available now. Decided to go with some 2-seaters first partly in anticipation of your new excellent DH.4 skins. And thought maybe it would encourage you to do a Br14 one as well :rolleyes:.

Edited by peter01

Greetings to all, and best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Now I've been flying some of those wonderful two seaters- but I have a problem. When we get jumped, the rear gunners don't fire. They still swivel around, but don't shoot. Is there a command button I need to push to tell these guys, "um, our plane is being shredded. Please consider shooting back"? I tried Tab-1, and that gets my formation to attack, but only as if they were fighters.

Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea Spad13 - a key to force the gunner to start engaging/firing. For the player aircraft. Maybe last some time like 10 secs so you need to keep pressing it. Could make 2-seater combat more immersive. At the moment not only does the player have no interaction with the gunner, but the gunners seem to have minds of their own ... but the AI controlled plane gunners seem fine.

Edited by peter01