Sign in to follow this  
Davy TASB

That "other WW1 flight sim"

I have been trying to get WOG to run in Dosbox. I can get the sound to work and the game to work, but I can't get Dosbox to recognise my USB joystick. In the WOG days I ran it on a 286 with a long soundblaster card with a games port on it, so the joystick used the games port.

OTOH WOG taught me bad flying habits. In a dogfight I would go into extreme turn mode until I got behind the enemy and fill him full of holes. In OFF if I try that I normally stall and dig a hole in the ground.

I did like the automatic landing in WOG - in OFF I have had to learn how to land properly :blink: Sometimes with not too good results if I'm not concentrating.

Yeah, it gave me the same bad habits. In later more realistic games, it's really taken me a while to unlearn the habit of excessively violent manoeuvres. As a result, I tend to rip the wings off of a lot of planes.

More recently, I also spent a fair bit of time playing Red Baron Arcade with my four year old last year. While it is a fun game for what it is, and it is quite possible for a four year old to fly it, prolonged exposure to it does not do wonders for one's finesse on the joystick.

Landing hasn't been a problem for me in RoF yet. I hope one day to try it though.:grin:

I have been trying to get WOG to run in Dosbox. I can get the sound to work and the game to work, but I can't get Dosbox to recognise my USB joystick. In the WOG days I ran it on a 286 with a long soundblaster card with a games port on it, so the joystick used the games port.

OTOH WOG taught me bad flying habits. In a dogfight I would go into extreme turn mode until I got behind the enemy and fill him full of holes. In OFF if I try that I normally stall and dig a hole in the ground.

I did like the automatic landing in WOG - in OFF I have had to learn how to land properly :blink: Sometimes with not too good results if I'm not concentrating.

Make sure Core=Normal and EMS=False

You may also have to play around with the cycles.

plug_nickel (Al)

Vasco wrote:

In OFF the bloody kite can be unflyable but you're lucky to see a single bullethole in the airframe.

Do you have the "HQ No Visable Damage" selected in the workshop Vasco? I have that unchecked and I see all sorts of damage to my kite when I am getting the short end of the stick in a dogfight.

Also, the Bandy Papers are indeed a great read.

Once you have the WWI bug it seems to stay with you. I can remember being 5 years old. My 6 year older brother had made a model of Rickenbacker's Spad XIII from the 1/28 scale kit by Revell. Man I thought that plane was fantastic. For some reason it got ahold of me and I have been attracted to the WWI aircraft ever since. I have a copy of that model kit now myself. Maybe I'll build it this winter.

Do you have the "HQ No Visable Damage" selected in the workshop Vasco? I have that unchecked and I see all sorts of damage to my kite when I am getting the short end of the stick in a dogfight.

No Lou,

Middle setting so damage is visible. Wingtip strikes during collision other aircraft show ripped canvas and wood, really, really bad hits on the elevators show the frame but with wing and airframe hits you're lucky to see a single tight group of hits when the handling suggests the wing has lost over 50% of its lift. It's when the aircraft is virtually unflyable due to machine gun damage I would expect to see a lot of doped linen stripped or shredded from the affected surface not just 5 bulletholes.

Vasco :pilotfly:

Edited by Vasco

Aaah, roger that Vasco. You are describing almost exactly what I see as well in that situation, so it must be how the damage is modeled for that scenario. Perhaps in Phase 4 we'll see large chunks of canvas flapping in the breeze and generally raising havoc with the effectiveness of our airfoils.

Once you have the WWI bug it seems to stay with you. I can remember being 5 years old. My 6 year older brother had made a model of Rickenbacker's Spad XIII from the 1/28 scale kit by Revell. Man I thought that plane was fantastic. For some reason it got ahold of me and I have been attracted to the WWI aircraft ever since. I have a copy of that model kit now myself. Maybe I'll build it this winter.

I started with the Biggles books by W.E Johns and read as much as I could about WWI aircraft. A trip to the Imperial War Museum helped me along. Ok, I am also interested in every war since then, but I have always been impressed by the fliers of WWI. A recent trip to our War Museum and a look at a genuine SE5a made me wonder how they could go up and fight in such a fragile-looking aircraft. And yet by the standards of the day it was a 'strong' aircraft. These were courageous men.

With modern Health and Safety regulations none of them would get off the ground :grin:

I started with the Biggles books by W.E Johns and read as much as I could about WWI aircraft. A trip to the Imperial War Museum helped me along. Ok, I am also interested in every war since then, but I have always been impressed by the fliers of WWI. A recent trip to our War Museum and a look at a genuine SE5a made me wonder how they could go up and fight in such a fragile-looking aircraft. And yet by the standards of the day it was a 'strong' aircraft. These were courageous men.

With modern Health and Safety regulations none of them would get off the ground :grin:

In my youth, I was always interested in the WW2 aviation and I made a lot of plastic models, P51D and P47M were my favorite planes. WW1 was not my "cup of tea" In the Win95 period I got a RB missiongenerator CD from the local store, because I want to fly on my new PC and manly this game was only 5euro's.  Printed out all the .pdf for reading, nice stories btw. From that time my opinion complete changed, never get that dos game running in win95mode but this was changed when RB2 was released. Collected/played a lot of [no jet] flysims, but WW1 is still my favorite. 

[and BEFORE THAT:

Richtofen's War (the Avalon Hill bookcase game). (wish I still had that game, just for the manuel that had such great detail on each plane and its strengths/weaknesses.)

Crap. I just got rid of that game. Went off to Goodwill

I have my Richthofen's War around here somewhere but the nieghborhood kids won't play with me. I had one called Dogfight when I was a little kid.

I have always liked history and my father was a big WWI buff. I have also always been interested in flying--probably because I grew up and now live again in Dayton--the birthplace of aviation. Have visited the Air Force Museum many times. There is something more mystical and mysterious in those WWI air-birds compared to their WWII counterparts. The whole "Knights in the Sky" thing compared to the professional killing machines of the Second Great War.

I think what sealed the deal for me was seeing The Blue Max and then seeing a copy of Richtofen's War at a friend's house. I've been in love ever since. :heat:

I grew up and now live again in Dayton--the birthplace of aviation.

I grew up near the so-called Air Capital of the World, Wichita, Kansas, home of Boeing, Learjet, Cessna, Beechcraft. My dad worked for Boeing, and I spent much of my early childhood traveling with my family on lengthy "field trips" for Boeing during the 60s space race. Hard to describe the excitement of being part of the community of machinists and engineers who created the Saturn V rocket and other equipment that eventuallly put a man on the moon. My most vivid memory is taking a tour at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama and seeing those massive rockets laid out on the assembly floor.

The first WWI book I can remember reading was a copy of The Boy Hero of the Air, Captain Albert Ball, V.C., by Walter A. Briscoe from the local library. My friends and I were very much into making high quality WWI and WWII models, even investing in airbrushes and books on authentic camouflage and squadron markings. Wish I still had some of those models..they were works of art (at least we thought so when we were 12-14 years old).

As an adult I flew for an air ambulance crew for 10 years. Spent more time in small fixed and rotary wing aircraft than most people. This flying sure does get in your blood.

BTW, after reading some of these posts, I decided to download the ROF demo, just to see what all the fuss is about. After three hours of downloading and installation, I was able to take a spin. I reacted to it the same way many OFF players have. While the planes sure are pretty, the landscape doesn't hold a candle to Winder's work. There's great potential, but feels very much like a beta product. I think it will be interesting to see in five years, when and if it becomes a fully developed product.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Are engine failures moddled into ROF?

Lost it a few times over the front..

Also I think landing is just as dangerous as combat i can touch down ok its just when the ac slows down, a lot of the time it swings round and damages my lower wing.

I had an idea too

Seems a few of us have it.. later in time we could form up an online squderon for it?

Yes, the engines can be very finicky, particularly to over revving in dives. The se5a will start to make that "Klank clink" sound if you run it too hot, etc.

Yes, I'd like to fly with the OFF crowd! Maybe not in a squadron (would that make us the Black Sheep Squadron?), but certainly for an occasional flight. I need someone to fly cover for those train missions! 2 SE5a fighters with bombs going low and fast will bring in the Dr1s, but if we had a couple of spad XIIIs flying cover, it would be all over for the train and it's german henchmen!

I'd also like to try flying with a wingman who can do the scissor type of trap. I fly low, when the enemy drops in behind me, I cut over and back, while my wingman cuts back and over, essentially bringing my enemy into his sites for a full side view every few seconds (I saw this on a you tube video).

Who remembers this?

2i0w4t1.png

Edited by Pappy55

Yes, the engines can be very finicky, particularly to over revving in dives. The se5a will start to make that "Klank clink" sound if you run it too hot, etc.

Yes, I'd like to fly with the OFF crowd! Maybe not in a squadron (would that make us the Black Sheep Squadron?), but certainly for an occasional flight. I need someone to fly cover for those train missions! 2 SE5a fighters with bombs going low and fast will bring in the Dr1s, but if we had a couple of spad XIIIs flying cover, it would be all over for the train and it's german henchmen!

I'd also like to try flying with a wingman who can do the scissor type of trap. I fly low, when the enemy drops in behind me, I cut over and back, while my wingman cuts back and over, essentially bringing my enemy into his sites for a full side view every few seconds (I saw this on a you tube video).

Do you think abaout the "Thach weave"?Hope its spelled right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thach_Weave

Edited by LtCasey

I would love to learn some of these tactics. I can hold my own against ace AI in OFF but even that is no match for a rookie human who would be heavily un predictible..

I think it would be fun for us to meet up on ROF

I would love to learn some of these tactics. I can hold my own against ace AI in OFF but even that is no match for a rookie human who would be heavily un predictible..

I think it would be fun for us to meet up on ROF

Yepp, would be fun.

For now, i will join the "cryhavoc"-server. They also have TS attached. If someone in here can set up a server and TS just for the OFF- guys would be great.

Regards

CAS

By the way, I would like to play OFF in MP. I need some serious advices to fly in there. Maybe someonw will tell me how?

regards

Do you think abaout the "Thach weave"?Hope its spelled right

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Thach_Weave

great catch!

Yes, the thach weave was what I was referring to.

Tactics like this are only going to work if two pilots are working together, which a number of the RoF german squadrons do.

With so many good pilots here, it would be a lot of fun to be able to fly together, against human opponents!

Hi,

"By the way, I would like to play OFF in MP. I need some serious advices to fly in there. Maybe someonw will tell me how?"

Hie thee over to the MP area, and do yourself a favour by PMing Vasco, Axgrinder or one of the other MP organisers there. You really, really won't regret it.

Quote from their forums by the neoqb PR about dropping the Internet check for SP.

Working on it right now... You will have it. It's our main priority for the nearest future work.

They want more dollars.

The fact remains for me. I'm playing less RoF (and WoP too). Even with all the "competition" OFF is still my cup of tea.

I received my copy of ROF last week from the States. I should have rather deposited the cash into OBD's account for the development of the best WW1 FS and the TOTAL quality of the product is a 1000% better than ROF!

m

Hehe....used to play PanzerLeader....or was it Panzer Commander....I dunno which now but it was an Avalon Hill board game, back when I was in grade school and my older brothers were in high school. Geesh, you shoulda earned a college-degree for digesting and memorizing the tenets of those rule books back then. Near akin to a phone book in size!!! I'm glad we have computers now to do it all for us.....ah the atrophy.no.gif

ZZ.

Yeah PanzerLeader - the sequel to Panzerblitz. Still have them both, along with about 60-odd other boxed games from Avalon Hill, SPI and a few miscellaneous game companies - including Richthofen's War, Dawn Patrol and yes, Ace of Aces too. You're right - I dunno if I could ever slug my way through the rule books of the more complex games any more. Great times, tho'

CW

Cool that you still have-em CW.

Kinda funny. Years hence people will likely see these things in some museum and ask, "Who the heck ever took the time to play these things!!?" Ahhh an age has past. Was a pretty brief one looking back, historically speaking of course.

ZZ.

Yeah PanzerLeader - the sequel to Panzerblitz. Still have them both, along with about 60-odd other boxed games from Avalon Hill, SPI and a few miscellaneous game companies - including Richthofen's War, Dawn Patrol and yes, Ace of Aces too. You're right - I dunno if I could ever slug my way through the rule books of the more complex games any more. Great times, tho'

CW

I used to play Squad Leader back in the day. Until Close Combat came out. Now the best game has to be Company of Heros. It's just too much funn to play a skirmish and slam the hell out of each other.

SL took too long to set-up, and too many rules to play. It was terrible and often ended in arguments over who was going for the next case of beer.

OvS