Sign in to follow this  
Davy TASB

That "other WW1 flight sim"

Company of Heroes is the best. I have played a lot of LAN games of COH over weekends, eat lots of pizza and drink LOOOTS of beer.

M

drinks.gif

Just as a matter of interest (or not, depending on your POV), I'm also a gamer outside the tight confines of OFF.

I have a fairly regular group of friends - all originally non-gamer types - who were suckered into playing Diplomacy many years ago and now play all sorts of games in regular get-togethers at our various houses. I'm guessing that I'm not unique, although perhaps the circle of people I play with is (ie, they have lives, all discovered deodorant at an early age and didn't get into gaming until their late 20s/early 30s), but I was wondering if other people out there in OFFland also enjoy stuff like 6 Nimmt, Winner's Circle, Vinci, Ticket to Ride, Citadels and suchlike?

I was one of those Advanced Squad Leader grognards, played a ton while at Uni until friends moved away. Still have my tattered copy of the rules binder, a swack of boards, all the counters (and micro scale miniatures that we used on the larger scale boards). Play some table-top with my son (WH40K mainly) currently as a diversion from PC gaming. Still have my copies of Richtofens War, Airforce (Dauntless supp), Wooden Ships and Iron Men. drinks.gif

Still have my copies of Richtofens War, Airforce (Dauntless supp), Wooden Ships and Iron Men. drinks.gif

Ahhhh, Wooden Ships and Iron Men! I really enjoyed that game...so many variables, grapeshot/roundshot/etc....heh! It was the only game that could equal Richtofen's War for 2nd place among the Avalon bookshelf games (though as I recall, it wasnt in the same shape as RW...bigger box for the board IIRC).

The BEST bookshelf game of all time?

drumroll...

Kingmaker!

How about SSI's Gettysburg? Took a whole 4x8 board for the map and weeks to play the whole 3 day battle. Also there was Jutland as well as the box games already mentioned....alas all gone now but not entirely missed. Richthofen's War was my first also. There were some good attempts at single player like Patton's Best, another with B-17's and another with matrices and cards for WWII Armor but I can't remember the name.

I had a copy of B17, and have to admit never getting anywhere close to the record number of missions survived...always seemed to buy the farm. Kingmaker- awsome game, and still have a copy (with expansion cards). I think the last AH game I ever bought, before they got bought out, was 'Civilisation'.drinks.gif

I havent DARED to go online with Company of Heroes...cos I just know I would spend too much time getting my hairy arse kicked!

I just got an email from these folks. I told them to take me off their mailing list as long as they had an internet check for single players. They said they were working on that. We shall see......