Sign in to follow this  
tone12

anti aircraft fire

hi,

what settin do you guys find the most realistic for ack ack? ive been downed twice outa my last 4 missions by ack ack while flying at between 3000 - 4000 feet and am wondering if its a little to effective. my understanding is that ww1 anti aicraft fire was largely ineffective other than very low altitudes ie below 2000 feet.

i would be happy to be proved wrong though, does anyone have any fact n figures on casualties from archie? i currently have it on normal but im a realism kinda guy and am loathed to drop it down to easy.

hi,

what settin do you guys find the most realistic for ack ack? ive been downed twice outa my last 4 missions by ack ack while flying at between 3000 - 4000 feet and am wondering if its a little to effective. my understanding is that ww1 anti aicraft fire was largely ineffective other than very low altitudes ie below 2000 feet.

i would be happy to be proved wrong though, does anyone have any fact n figures on casualties from archie? i currently have it on normal but im a realism kinda guy and am loathed to drop it down to easy.

my personal rule No.1: NEVER, NEVER fly straight and level close or above the frontline!!!! this will not only help you to survive AA-gunfire, it also helps you avoid being ambushed by any enemy fighter.

regards

Flying low is not a great idea over any ground fire, and you still have to weave some. It also matters what year you fly. 1918 there's a lot more of it and by then they had got the skills sorted to nail you easier ;)

ive been flyin in 1917. but to be fair ive been usin auto pilot when ive been shot down, i just though id be safe at those altitudes but obviously not.

so more evasive flyin is required then ehgrin.gif

Indeed. There are also settings for AA fire in Workshops btw - if you make it less accurate it's also less useful to spot enemies with.

Don't mean to destroy your childhood dreams, but autopilot was never used in WWI. A crude form of it existed then, but it was much too expensive to take to War

Those cannons can shoot higher than you can fly

If I can't see them, though the Clouds. They can't see me, so I'm safe WRONG

By 1917, the sound made by your engine, could pretty much tell your location, 3 Listening Posts tied by field telephone, meant your goose was cooked

About the only thing on your side, was the PROXIMITY FUSE for their shells wasn't invented till the 40's grin.gif

im totally aware that ww1 panes didnt have or use autopilots dudeSalute.gif . i just find it a lot less mundane than manually keepin level flight for the entire mission while i scour the skies for enemies, obviously from now on i wont be usin it over or near the frontline.

i was also ware that anit aircraft fire didnt become accurate until well into ww2 due to a lack of proximity fuses. so how did ww1 anti aircraft batteries manage to fire at specific altitudes?

Switch it to "Easy" in workshops. The amount of fire is reduced unfortunately, but you will garner a more accurate representation "hit ratio" wise, to real WWI accounts.

I too lost far too many pilots from flak....even with dodging about the sky, at "Normal" than should be occuring.

ZZ.

This is the problem, everyone has different experience because they fly variations of

1) different locations (some areas have more/less AA batteries)

2) different dates (later dates more AA batteries)

3) at times when battles are going on = more activity more AA.

4) different altitudes

There are many techniques. AA got more accurate like anything, armies are usually very good at working out by repeated experience.

One known is the AA battery already has the altitude test fired and set. For example it can be measured via friendly aircraft flying nearby at the same altitude to note. Then with this known a trap could be set, aircraft would lure an enemy into the area and at the specific known altitude and the AA let the enemy have it as they pass.

And as been said above, it CAN be deadly, and if you don't like it, don't agree, just want to fly whatever, simply set it to 'easy' that's what the options are for. No one will report you for slacking - don't worry there's no "phone home" in there :grin:

The fuses were time fuses which could easily be set as the shell was loaded. I reckon the Archie batteries in WWI had a lot of practice so became good at what they were doing. In fact a lot of aircraft were shot down by direct hits which seems amazing. And when the armies were setting up huge barrages prior to attacks it was not surprising that some aircraft were shot down by accident so to speak. Many pilots noted seeing the shells in the air which must have been quite scary.

Lots of practice was why the WWII German flak was so deadly especially when used with radar rangers. On the other side of the channel the gunners spent most of their time drinking tea and waiting for the war to be over :salute:

think il just persevere with normal mode as i hate using easy settings when i game and normal mode seems to be what real men use round here!cool.gif

uncleal wrote:

. . . or just stay in 1916 cool.gif

What do you mean STAY in 1916? What year is it?