Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

using a laptop

Do a lot of you use a laptop? Specs? screen size..would like to play at my mother in laws when I am staying there...

Hi Thewoo1,

I use an Asus N51V-a1 notebook, basic specs are as follows:

T9600 CPU (dual core, 2.8 MHZ with 6 megs cache)

4 gig RAM (800 MHZ DDR2)

Nvidia Geforce GT 240M (1 gig DDR3)

15.6" Screen

Vista Home Premium 32 bit

For OFF, I use the following settings:

1366x768 at 32 bit (native)

16x Anisotropic Filtering

8xQ Anti-aliasing

Vsync enabled

CFSIII config slider settings of 553353

The game looks wonderful and FPS generally stay at 40, where it's capped. Only during very heavy scenarios do FPS dip occasional down into the mid-high 20's.

Mind, it took some tinkering to achieve this state of affairs. Initially, the game ran poorly, with unbearable stuttering. But advice from both forum members here and the OFF FAQ has eliminated the problem.

This notebook also runs games with newer engines surprisingly well. For instance, I play Empire Total War at fairly high settings with good results.

Also, bear in mind that at least the graphic card in my notebook is just mid-range. The Nvidia GTX 260/280M cards are considerably more powerful, while the soon-to-arrive ATI HD 5870 promises to deliver still more.

Cheers,

Greg S

I am happily running OFF P3 on a sony laptop Fz38M.

I am running it on auto-setup.

I run OFF on a Gateway FX P-7805u, very successfully with the GeForce 9800M GTS card.

It has a 1920X1200 17" screen, but I rarely use it.

Normally I hook my laptop up via HDMI to my Sony Bravia 55" LCD TV, and downsize the image to 1768X992.

It provides the same 16:9 perspective with increased frame rate so I can turn on 8X AA.

Getting closer to a cockpit now......

Another option to consider in use for a laptop can be to wear a Vuzix VR920 set of head goggles. The only bad thing is the resolution is capped at 1024X768.

However, because the picture is so close to your eyes, it rarely matters, and you get fanastic frame rates. It hooks up via standard SVGA and USB cabling.

I have used these when I am on deployment, and don't want to be disturbed. I do believe the costs have dropped to under $200, and the image quality is very good.

Basically, they are a dual miniature set of LCDs, but not shutter glasses.

I run OFF on a Gateway FX P-7805u, very successfully with the GeForce 9800M GTS card.

Normally I hook my laptop up via HDMI to my Sony Bravia 55" LCD TV, and downsize the image to 1768X992.

It provides the same 16:9 perspective with increased frame rate so I can turn on 8X AA.

Another option to consider in use for a laptop can be to wear a Vuzix VR920 set of head goggles. The only bad thing is the resolution is capped at 1024X768.

However, because the picture is so close to your eyes, it rarely matters, and you get fanastic frame rates. It hooks up via standard SVGA and USB cabling.

I have used these when I am on deployment, and don't want to be disturbed. I do believe the costs have dropped to under $200, and the image quality is very good.

thanks knight...I have a sony bravia also it has a pcport with a sound inlet( I didnt want to use it)...are you saying all I need is a hdmi cable... do all the newer laptops have an hdmi port? So Bravia +laptop + hdmi = video and sound connect my joystick and I havea 46" field of view

Edited by thewoo1

knight when you hook the hdmi cable to your tv what is displayed on the laptop screen? the same image as on the tv or is it blank?

I use an external monitor with my laptop and the laptop screen is blank.

does the hdmi cable automatically shunt the laptop display and put the signal to the tv or is there a keystroke combo

does the hdmi cable automatically shunt the laptop display and put the signal to the tv or is there a keystroke combo

I'm sorry, I don't use a HDMI cable so I can't say.