Sign in to follow this  
HumanDrone

Does Surround Sound help in OFF?

Hello, all!

I checked around and couldn't find anything on this. One of my Christmas presents was a reasonable speaker set for my computer. It is Dolby 5.1 capable and I have set it up that way, with a subwoofer at my feet, the center on the monitor, and the 4 peripherals where they belong, wired properly, etc.

I'd have thought that if it helped one's SA anywhere, it'd be in OFF, with the open cockpits, and what-not; but I didn't seem to notice a difference, other than general sound quality. But this could be due to a number of factors:

1. Concentrating so much on the visual that the audio spatial information doesn't really register in my pea-brain.

2. The sim really doesn't support such sound set-ups, or I didn't know where to tell it I have a 5.1 setup.

3. I only thought I set it up correctly (at 54 years old, that is a possibility, though remote, I think...)

4. My 54 year-old ears just don't work like they should. That's what my dear wife says when I don't hear her, but when she doesn't hear me, it's because I mumble! :dunno:

For option #3, I suppose I could find some little utility that would let me test my sound field. #4 requires a hearing test. I guess it's no's 1 & 2 that I'm wondering about.

I'm looking forward to Hat in the Ring. Last night, the novice German Fliegher Rex von Schanups absonded with the Red Baron's triplane again, only to be shot down after poking a few holes in the canvas of a Sopwith Camel. He at least put it down without crashing, but I don't think the Baron will be too happy with him! (Still flying QC "pilot never dies" mode)

Thanks all,

Tom

Edited by HumanDrone

Thank you, sir! Since I don't have TrackIR (yet!), I'm looking for all the help I can get. I do have a dedicated sound card, a good (for it's time) Turtle Beach Santa Cruz that explicitly states that it supports Dolby 5.1, the rears are where they belong, etc, but I may need to increase the spread between my fronts, which are immediately next to my monitor left & right.

And you are correct, of course, about the ear plugs, wind, etc. That's a good point. Still, a computer is so crippled with respect to sensual feedback and SA compared to real life, it seems like a little surround sound effect is not "cheating" as it were.

Just downloaded HitR! Wait 'til the cheeky upstart von Schnaups runs into Eddie Rickenbacker! That oughta be a quick fight!

Thanks again,

Tom

Edited by HumanDrone

you really need to look into gettin track IR, it adds so much to the immersion + your situational awareness goes way up as well. freetrack is a cheaper alternative although gettin it set up is way more hassle. i also have surround sound although with flight sims it really doesnt add anything, the main sound you gonna hear is your own engine after all.