Sign in to follow this  
tone12

phase 4 and beyond?

hi,

ive seen phase mentioned a few time and am wondering what content this is gonna contain. i assume its gonna be more than an expansion but i have to ask to how much further the CFS3 game engine can be pushed within its limitations?

i also remember the devs sayin that if all went well with sales etc they would consider building their own sim from scratch. can we assume that this isnt gonna happen due to nothin more having been said about it?

just curious thats all.

I am not speaking for the Devs, but I definately wouldn't assume anything about P4. The gentleman of OBD have been hard at work on Over Flanders Fields for a very long time. It took 4 years to develop Between Heaven and Hell (Phase 3) and nearly another year to get out it's first expansion. From past experience, I can say this: 1. They will ship a product when it is ready, and not before. 2. They won't give a time frame because they don't want to be bound by a schedule that could impact quality. 3. Whatever they do, it will be better than the hype that surrounds it. OBD isn't a typical money driven software developer company. It's passion driven, not profit driven. They get their money from their full time jobs, so things can take time. No matter if P4 continues to use the current engine or a new one, they will get more out of it than anyone has a right to expect. It's just how these guys are. And having said all of that, I'm sure I read somewhere that they are hard at work on P4.

Hellshade

This may be a little off topic, but in the same general area. Just a couple of questions for the devs.

1. If the money was found for a new game engine, would one be built from scratch or would an existing engine be purchased?

2. If purchasing an existing engine what would be the approximate cost?

3. What is the approximate time frame for building a new game engine, and could the existing simulation be incorporated into a new engine?

Just curious.

Tony

OBD isn't a typical money driven software developer company. It's passion driven, not profit driven. They get their money from their full time jobs, so things can take time. No matter if P4 continues to use the current engine or a new one, they will get more out of it than anyone has a right to expect. It's just how these guys are. And having said all of that, I'm sure I read somewhere that they are hard at work on P4.

Hellshade

Well said.

In the end it's up to us. If we continue to support their effort, I'm sure, sooner or later, there will be a phase with a new engine.

And by support I don't mean only buying, but also being a bit of PR and spreading in another game and simulator forums, the existence and the quality of OFF.

There are a lot of Red Baron fans out there that still don't know the existence of OFF.

Spread the good news.

Yes...I hope we have some news from the Devs soon...not in reference to 'When' of course...but perhaps a word or two about 'If' would be nice, and give us something to look forward to....after all, I will forever hassle them about a Snipe...even from beyond the Grave! :rofl:

There has been an abundance of references made of work on and aspects of P4 by Winder himself recently. No particulars but I get the impression that he is excited and still very motivated in fleshing out the OFF World experience. That excites me. My trust is in team OBD and I am terribly grateful for what I currently have. I am grateful to the point of trying to respectfully share the good news. An example; http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2933152/Fokker_Fun.html#Post2933152

Your contributions on sites like this may help the cause of furthering interest and developement of OFF.

This talk of Phase 4 is all well and good and exciting, but I am curious. Who among us here has even scratched the surface of Phase 3 yet? I know I could spend the next several years worth of my free time flying what we now have in OFF before I'd even come close to experiencing everything it has to offer.

This talk of Phase 4 is all well and good and exciting, but I am curious. Who among us here has even scratched the surface of Phase 3 yet? I know I could spend the next several years worth of my free time flying what we now have in OFF before I'd even come close to experiencing everything it has to offer.

Absolutely. You would not believe the things I haven't done yet with OFF.

you can never have to much of a good thing my friend. as great as OFF is, ive read so many posts from people who say they wont touch it cos its basically a heavilly modded CFS3.

Those are probably the same people who wouldn't have bought a Shelby 500 GT back in 1967 because it was basically a heavily modded Mustang. biggrin.gif

But I understand your point Sir.

As great as OFF is, ive read so many posts from people who say they wont touch it cos its basically a heavilly modded CFS3.

You're absolutely right tone 12.

Instead of bashing other WWI sims (http://forum.combata...ww1-flight-sim/) let's all have some REAL fun and kick the CFS3 engine in the nuts one more time. Ooh, that's gotta hurt!! But look, that little engine is trying to get up off the mat. He can sure take a punch. Now he's getting to his feet, unafraid, ready to face the champ again. Plucky little fellow!

Frankly, I'm a little tired of all the negative comments about the CFS3 engine. In the right hands, it's a terrific platform for modding (e.g.; European Theater of Operations, Mediterranean Air War, PTO Solomons, Korean Skies, etc) or for a complete conversion (BHaH, HiTR). Can't say I've ever played a flight sim that was more fun and engaging than BHaH. Truly a work of art.

So stop picking on the little guy!!!

Edited by BirdDogICT

There are only a few things I would like added to this, or any other for that matter, flight sim. First (it's two actually) would be consistent damage during a dynamic campaign with realistic "rebuild" parameters. The second would be good solid MP code in said dynamic online campaign.

I guess if they could change Falcon 4 to use WW1 planes I would be happy!

:grin:

Edited by GaryR