DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

We are expecting 16" of it through the nigh...

Hopefully too thick to walk to work in..:good:

Oooooooh Pappy, I feel your pain. I hope you can just hunker down in the house and not have to go out. BTW, BHaH is a great way to pass the time on a snowbound day...believe me I know. :smile:

We have not had heavy snow here in years and tonight it happened epic style

DSCN0177.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

We are expecting 16" of it through the nigh...

Hopefully too thick to walk to work in..good.gif

omg quick call the ghost hunters look at all the ORBS he has gotten ilse of wright thats where they are lol

enjoy the snow were excpetign our first measureable snow fo the season on thrusday, 1-2 inches usally means 1-2 foot lol got to love the ohio valley

Well Pappy, I live a bit further North and inland (Lancashire) and I could barely get down the road to check out our main road, let alone use it. We've now got about 8" or more of snow so I'm bottling out of even trying to drive to work tomorrow, SAAB or no SAAB!

It's been like this since mid-December, except that previous bouts have gradually thawed and buggered off.

This, however, is different.

As I say we currently have 8" lying on the ground - that after the gritters have tried their best. We're expecting another 5-6" over the next day or two, so I have great sympathy for you down in the IOW where you shouldn't be seeing any at all.

Spring can't come too soon.

Yeah over here in the defeated county Yorkshire... hehehe (I am a born Lancastrian am over here keeping an eye on them and I have them all surrounded). We have pretty much the same deal stuck my foot out of the door and lost it to the ankle this morning but still ventured to work to find a ghost ship... There where more people on the Marie Celeste than at my work... ho hum still called a snow day and came home early... Also on the snow front we will be getting some more tomorrow and even more at the weekend just in time for my week off... GREAT NOT!!!

Also where are all the global warming people complaining its too warm right now ??? Most likely Jetting of to Australia to complain its too warm there... :rofl:

Edited by Slartibartfast

Further North Still in Newcastle...it's Summer as usual! :grin:

omg quick call the ghost hunters look at all the ORBS he has gotten ilse of wright thats where they are lol

enjoy the snow were excpetign our first measureable snow fo the season on thrusday, 1-2 inches usally means 1-2 foot lol got to love the ohio valley

LOL!! That's sooooo true. I burst someone bubble with that once... "so you were in a dusty old house, taking pictures on a paid-for, guided tour of a haunted house... and you think these are spirit orbs?? THEY'RE CLOSE-UPS OF DUST PARTICLES REFLECTING THE CAMERA FLASH YOU IDIOT!!! AND YOU PAID $250 TO GO ON THIS TOUR?!?!?!"

OvS

16 inches isn't too bad. Watching people who aren't used to driving in it is priceless!

As long as there isn't much wind, it shouldn't be too bad. Out west in the mountains, 16 inches was dusting. But the -20F temps were rough. Trying to work out in it really sucked, as your clothes would freeze solid after they got wet from snow. Dressing in layers was a must.

Anyways, enjoy the winter wonderland!

Well, I'm in Adelaide, Australia, and our forecast for the next four days looks like this (temperatures in celsius):

Friday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 39

Saturday Dry. Sunny. Min 24 Max 41

Sunday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 41

Monday Dry. High cloud increasing. Min 26 Max 41

I'd kill for some of the weather you are having.

This week in Lousy Anna's armpit, it's not likely to get out of the mid-30s F, but at least it's been clear. However, we're due for more frozen precipitation by the end of the week. This is colder than usual, but not nearly as bad as the "Fimbul Winter" of 1989 when for the only time in recorded history, I could walk across my pond (because I don't own skates). Normally, even in cold snaps like this, there's no more than a nearly invisible skin of ice right up against the banks.

Some spots on the bays where the currents are very very mild, the ice is 5 to 8 inches thick. Almost time to go auger some holes in the ice, drink beer, and spear pike.

I'm saying nothing, because it's still snowing, and I don't want to upset the snow god.

How an I supposed to get to the travel agent to get my ticket to Adelaide in this?

Pippen's definitely not impressed.

post-45899-1262759559152.jpg

post-45899-12627606403246.jpg

post-45899-1262760652576.jpg

Edited by Flyby PC

Yeayyy!!! Made it to work. No worries mate.

For Sale - 1 Landrover. Offers over £3,000,000.00.

Even so, I think I'll buy him some snow tyres for a late Christmas present.

Well, I'm in Adelaide, Australia, and our forecast for the next four days looks like this (temperatures in celsius):

Friday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 39

Saturday Dry. Sunny. Min 24 Max 41

Sunday Dry. Sunny. Min 23 Max 41

Monday Dry. High cloud increasing. Min 26 Max 41

I'd kill for some of the weather you are having.

Ok, i´ll take it! You buy the tickets! we change for a month, or so?:grin: Over here, in the tiny little village I live in, in the middle of good ol´Germany, we`ve had -15 degrees celsius this night. More snow expected on friday. Feel free to carry the wood 3 floors up too the oven, and push the snow 2 times a day.

oh, forgot to tell, our house is standing at a hillside. Many stairs! Keeps you fit!

Meanwhile I will have a good day on the beach, see all that beautiful women, go swimming, tanning or maybe have a good beachball match, sipping beer and finally have a fine BBQ in the evening. that sounds nice!:drinks:

Regards

Edited by LtCasey

Nice Defender that. Just like the one in my driveway :grin: (except no snow here)

I've never been to the IOW but apparently my name comes from there ....

Love my Defender. It's a TD5, but 10 yrs old. I don't have it for it's off road capacity, but for hauling stone about. It's a genuine workhorse, and never let me down.

Doesn't hurt a bit when the weather turns bad. I don't have off-road tyres, but even so, it's already pulled 4 cars out of the snow this year already, plus got a run-over dog to the vet.

I'm not landy daft, had 3 before, 2 were complete dogs, one was ex military aspirated deisel which wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, but when the time comes, I want to be buried in my TD5.

Well as I got up this morning it was bright and clear and the Snow God dropped another load of snow off during the night I have decided to take Thursday and Friday off and sit in front of the fire and look at the weather out the window and play OFF... with hot chocolate to keep me warm...

Having a posting frenzy on this thread -

Just to add this snow isn't the usual stuff we get. I don't mean the quantity, but it's lightweight powder snow, and it doesn't seem to solidify when it freezes. Usually our snow is pretty wet stuff, which turns to concrete once it freezes. I reckon we have between 1 1/2 to 2 ft of this powder snow, similar consistency from top to bottom.

I'm not to concerned about the frost forecast, but if we get any significant wind, this stuff is going to drift like crazy. yikes.gif

There is a lot of snow, but it's a dry snow. We've been down to -10 recently, but I swear, I've felt -2 feeling much, much colder. It's very weird, but I dare say it's old news for folks who get this stuff more regularly.

We have settled snow in plymouth which is very rare as this corner of the uk is usually kept warm by all that nice heat the mexicans send us over in the gulf stream! Certainly the first snow since I have lived here.

And Lou.... feel our pain?... stay indoors??? You don't know the english! It snows so rarely in england (sometimes years apart) that we all get exited and go out in it! I may well go and get my own car stuck on Dartmoor for a bit this afternoon! All part of the fun!

Some spots on the bays where the currents are very very mild, the ice is 5 to 8 inches thick. Almost time to go auger some holes in the ice, drink beer, and spear pike.

Have to mention that one year in the part of Minnesota where I live, we had 42" (inches) of ice. It was reported that along the Canadian border lakes there was 60"!

Hi Ras

Yes, we are a bit girly in the UK when it comes to snow!...London only had a few inches in December...and the whole thing ground to a halt!

(bloody Southern Woosies) :lol:

Woohoo! Neighbour says it was -18 this morning.

Who am I to argue. Took 30 mins to scrape the ice off the windscreen, - and I mean 30 minutes. You know when you scrape, and nothing comes off? Well that, twice, inside and out, and a door lock that froze almost instantly. That was a real a pain in the t*!ts. I stopped to give a guy a lift to his work, but the passenger door was frozen, and once I'd opened my door, it wouldn't shut again. Had to drive the last bit just holding it shut.

Doggely's can only walk about 100m then the feet start to hurt. Not a pretty sight.

Spring, where the F are you?

This is getting decidedly un-funny.

FlybyPC,

I'm sort of sharing your pain.

I helped 2 other drivers off this morning, whilst I scraped and dug out me SAAB. Where we are there's about 8-9" of snow (curse you! the Pennines!) and that's acculumated since mid December. The local clock/thermometer read -10 degrees C, and nearby Oldham had a fairly uniform 8-10" in the car parks (which they've stopped gritting, in order to concentrate on the roads).

There's a forecast for another heavy bout of snow tonight, and with temperatures potentially dropping to about -15 (nearby Woodford hit -17.6 last night).

It's not that people in the UK can't do this sort of weather - from what I've seen, they clearly can and are pretty sensible about it. The problem lies in the fact that it is such a rare event, ie, once in 30 years, that the infrastructure is not geared to cater for it, and hence all the problems, not helped by an apocalyptical meeja which loves nothing more than the chance to tell people how s**t the UK is, when in fact it's a bloody nice place to live 99.5% of the time.

So, tomorrow, after the next big bout of snow has passed, I'll look at the roads and make a simple judgement about whether I can safely get me and my car to work. I'm not blaming the government nor my local council. I'm not buying into the meeja bulls**t and refuse to be panicked by a bunch of idiots.

If I can do it safely, I'll go; if, in my judgement, I can't, I'll phone my boss, tell her I'm around to take emails and calls, and then play a bit of OFF and perhaps have a pub lunch in the most picturesque surroundings imaginable.

Well I gave up on the work thing today and stayed home (okay so I booked 2 days leave saves me a 4 hour treck there and back) and spent the day looking out at the snow and playing OFF and my flying today was sublime... Eindeckers where falling everywhere oh okay 3 of them in 4 sorties but one was an ace cant remember his name but he put up a damned fierce fight I can tell you... great fun... watch my flying tomorrow go clean out the window and my pilot dies due to stupidity... but I still wont be going out of the house...