Lately I have been enamored with the Mustang. I downloaded USAFMTL's F-51 (always liked the late versions of anything,) which is a fantastic model, but there are some graphics problems. The tail has a huge shadow, the gauge needles are pink, and the artificial horizon is blocked out. I was wondering if I have installed this incorrectly? I don't want to be a rivet counter, I just think I installed it wrong, or have the wrong settings. I went in the files and made the shadow file FALSE. If not, I'll live with pink needles and no horizon. Just wondering...

Sounds like something is missing - what game have you installed it into? Suspect it was done for a different game that has the required files in its cats already.

The shadows were changed in later patches so removing it might be the only answer - is it using a .shd shadow file or the dynamic in game ones?

Hey Delta

Wolf257 made that P-51, all I did was ini edits and decals for it. So all the credit goes to him.

The pink tgas in the cockpit is a known issue, as is the missing ADI texture. I've been messing with it for years, but haven't been able to fix it. I think the pink is caused by possible bleed in the needels tga (alpha channel leak??), and the ADI sphere's bmp may also be rotated 90 deg off from center, but haven't been able to fix that either. I'll have another look it at, as we've learned a LOT since the last time I messed with it.

Also, be adivsed that there are 3 different LODs for the D-30; the skins are NOT compatable between them. So, fer instance, if you're using Dave's Korean skins (12th, 35th, 36th and 67th) which were built for the P-51D.LOD or P-51D-30_V2, don't work properly on the P-51D-30_V3.LOD due to changes in the mapping.

The good news is, I'm almost 75% finished with updating them for the V3 lod, for use in TOS or NextGens (as they'll be needed in the upcoming KAW mod). The skins have been repainted to remove the lo-rez insigina/national markings, and ALL marking have been switched to decals. This includes my Generic Post-War Natural Metal ™, with all the cool nose art.

Nobody knows the decal plotting better than I do....

The only skin I haven't finished is the 67th, as I have to check the markings --there's some question on the red fuselage stripe, which traditionally in late 40s through late 50s usually designates the Squadraon CO (double or single stripes). I may leave it off if I can't clarifiy it 100%

Some data ini tweeks include adjusting the rolling radii, as it sits too high off the ground

as to the shadow, there is a shadow lod included (well, at least I've had one since 2004), but if you convert to the 08/NextGEn style, it works just fine

replace the shadow statement in the main ini with this:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

works a charm!

Wrench

kevin stein

"Head Prop Head" <grin>

Thanks for the replies all. I have this installed in WOE. I guess I should have mentioned that before. I tried the shadow trick from wrench and it works like a charm! USAFMTL you are correct it was WOLF257's original design, so my compliments to him for a great design!

The Big beautiful doll p-51 runs awesome in sf2. been flying her around and still think its the best until maybetk releases their p-51.

I don,t think so, but TK released one for the TW sims sometime ago and the KAW mod also has a new one about to be released...

FC

the WoI expansion Pak (from 3rd Wire) comes with the Mustang; however, you MUST have WIngs Over Isreal to use it.

I'm not sure of the KAW one will work in SF/Wo*, as it's designed with SF2 in mind. (FC, correct me if I'm wrong, please; oth, aren't we working only on the F-82??)

as to the VDI, never go fixed, as "everyone that's anyone" has long since moved to SF2, and there's really no point.

OTH, search the /Aircraft downlloads for Crisis (sp?) verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy old P-51D (should be around 2004/5, way at the end of the section).

That cockpit should be usable on wolf' model

Whoops...didn't notice this was for the SFP1 series...

FC

If you mean the Operation Kadesh addon for WOI, then i can say, that you can use all SF2 planes in it. (As far as i have tested it.)