Sign in to follow this  
Vasco

24 Sqn RFC Online Campaign

Reality Settings for the 24 Sqn RFC Online Campaign  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How hard do you want it, baby?

• Pass me the barbed-wire underwear, bitch!! - (Full reality - no visual aids)
    • I think I need a little help - (Labels on)
    • Pull my nightie down when you've finished (TAC and Labels on)
    • Not tonight Josephine! (TAC, Labels and External Views)

Guys,

Some of the regulars have been practicing online using full reality settings (No TAC, labels or external views) and navigating using maps rather than relying on waypoints. It's challenging and very rewarding but I understand that some of you may baulk at FR and may wish to keep things going as they have been.

Please indicate your choice in the poll above.

Regards,

Vasco :pilotfly:

I think FR might scare off any new players that may be on the fence about joining the Sunday missions. I would at least leave on labels. Turning the tac off wouldn't be that big of a deal. We can do without that. Navigating by map is a hoot but right now only experienced players should use it online.

I prefer Tac on no labels. This aids in navigation and tells you where everybody is but not necessarily who they are. Also with Tac on you can direct the AI to attack. I don't know if it is needed to tell your gunner who to shoot at.

As an aside, I have noticed a problem with the compass in the DH2. In campaign mode it seems to be 50 to 90 degrees off the compass you see with the F5 view, or at least it does on my machine.

Beard

Beard,

I think I should have made the order in the poll as:

No visual aids

TAC only

TAC and External Views

TAC, External Views and Labels

Having TAC on but not labels or external views would allow you to idenity that something's there but no idea what it is until the flak lights it up. It would also help with reforming the flight once a dogfight is concluded (what's left of us). With no labels in combat it really makes the fight a matter of situational awaeness rather than following the big red label even when it's obscured by the wing.

TAC only would have my vote if FR was out.

Edited by Vasco

I'd have to pass on a campaign without the aids. I haven't flown MP since July of last year so I guess that ranks me as a "new player" again. I was hoping to have some fun but without the aids I'd have to classify it as work and at some point I might as well just go get a job if thats the case. Salute.gif

I'd have to pass on a campaign without the aids. I haven't flown MP since July of last year so I guess that ranks me as a "new player" again. I was hoping to have some fun but without the aids I'd have to classify it as work and at some point I might as well just go get a job if thats the case. Salute.gif

Winston,

You said you couldn't fly the DH2, but within 15 minutes when we had the MP training session on the type, you were throwing it around the sky and didn't stall or spin once. You pick things up bloody fast once you know how it should be done.

Jump on TS and let me introduce you to TAC only. I think BB's suggestion has the most merit and I wouldn't want to lose you again after just coming back - after all, you are the originator of the Sunday game allowing all TZ players to get into the sky together!

This change just takes things to the next level and I really want to give those DiD offline campaign pussies a run for their money and show them that the MP community can go one better.

Multiplayer kills have witnesses!

Edited by Vasco

I'm comfortable with full real, but I can certainly understand how some might not be. It makes a whole new game, with different skills. Things to think about if you haven't already -

These missions take longer. It's not just "fly to the red dots and everyone start shooting". One may have to loiter for quite a while looking for whatever it is that the flak is shooting at. Even then it might not be seen. Players can get lost at the drop of a hat. All it takes is for the leader to forget himself for a second and turn or lose altitude to have a look at something, and the flight is scattered. It then takes time and a landmark to regroup. Getting mixed up on which road or river you're following takes you to the wrong place... etc. Fuel management is a big issue if you get lost.... It will take a while for people to get familiar with an area of operations, and if missions go to another area... Witnessing is going to be harder also...but that could be good as it might force us to stick together, or PAIR UP and attempt to use some tactics. We saw that last night - I had an aircraft going down, on fire and trailing smoke. But it was over a forest, was an SE5 in standard green-brown paint, and it was dark smoke, so neither of the other two players could see it.

(by the way, can someone remind me what that color was called? the green-brown mix, I mean...)

Is it fun? Yes!!! I think so. But it's different, that's for sure, and takes some getting used to.

This change just takes things to the next level and I really want to give those DiD offline campaign pussies a run for their money and show them that the MP community can go one better.

Bring it, mate!:cool: Although it rather looks like someone has already shown something to those flying-around-shooting-at big-red-labels pussies....:rofl:

I would take a different attitude if maybe a few of those single player DiD hotshots would show up for a multiplayer session. Then I'd take the time to print out a dozen maps and the time to try and figure out the legend and the time to learn to navigate around the inaccurate world of OFF. All this while trying to get used to flying the sim again after several months downtime with a burned out computer. But at my age if I find myself not having fun when doing something...... I just quit doing it. After all there's so many beers to be drunk, and soooo little time.drinks.gif

Are there any new players coming to the party this campaign?

BTW, the new RFC-24 campaign MP grid maps are ready for download in the Maps, Missions, and Campaigns section. Hope to see you all in the skies again and a equitable solution can be found to this subject.

Love the sentiment VonGuber :grin:

I was speaking to Winston on TS about 40 mins ago and he told me about a trick he used to use to locate his wingman in flight sims before he became a true believer and got his hands on TrackIR and it'll work well in the MP campaign as well.

Pair up while on the airfield, locate your wingman for the sortie and lock him in TAC. When in combat, you can press the tilda key and snap view to your wingman to find him.

Brilliant, eh?

Like to fly with a few visuals, but however the group decides is ok with me.

May try this Campaign to see if I can fly. Maps....? ...grids....? Those sound helpful.

anyone who hasnt flown with maps...will have some sessions up this week. will be flying w/o labels and/or tac unless by some miricle a new player wanders in..

imho..these are the best maps to use...

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8827

they have the aerodromes with a legend, and it seems these and large cities are really the only items the consitantly show up accuratly on both the game terrain, and the printed map.

I will at this point withdraw my planned participation in the upcoming campaign. Just had a session with Vasco and VonGuber with TAC only and I absolutely hated it. In other words I did not enjoy flying at this level. You guys in the last 7 months I've been gone have progressed well beyond my skills. It seems like the MP crowd has gone elite in my absence and I'm just not willing to work myself into acquiring those skills so rapidly to be able to fly with you. Maybe someday, but I'm not getting any younger so I kinda doubt it. Enjoy the new campaign, see you all still around the forum.

I thought I might try and organize some Saturday sessions for beginners, with TAC and labels, using the now available scripted missions so as to be able to train some new pilots who could then graduate up to your level of play but I think there would not be much interest in it? dntknw.gif

Winston...what we need more than anything,,is ppl posting constantly to get pilots to try mp, and then provide an environment so they get to see the more enjoyable elements of mp.

Absoutly wont be easy,,,what u ppl have here is the result of well over a years work by a few to keep mp alive and growing....

So go for it,,,be prepared to spend some time sitting by yourself,,,and dont give up...

Sorry to hear that Winston,

We keep trying to move the bar upwards for a more rewarding experience (if Sitting Duck would host those navigation sessions at 6PM EST instead of 7PM EST I'd be there too).

Personally, I thought you were doing very well during the practice session and if you were flying a Strutter in the campaign with Stumpjumper in the back as you intended you could concentrate on getting HE on target and let him keep you alive.

Please host a Saturday session - I think the majority of the MP community would join in anyway as well as the new players.

Edited by Vasco

Love the sentiment VonGuber :grin:

I was speaking to Winston on TS about 40 mins ago and he told me about a trick he used to use to locate his wingman in flight sims before he became a true believer and got his hands on TrackIR and it'll work well in the MP campaign as well.

Pair up while on the airfield, locate your wingman for the sortie and lock him in TAC. When in combat, you can press the tilda key and snap view to your wingman to find him.

Brilliant, eh?

So you highlight your wingman in the TAC and leave it that way for the duration of the mission?

Yes.

With TAC only you can't target a bogie and use external views to identify it as friend or foe anyway. Apart from nominating targets for the AI it's of little use otherwise.

lol...well damn john,,if you had just said something, id have been glad to get on early......

curious.....in game map....cheating?

lol...well damn john,,if you had just said something, id have been glad to get on early......

curious.....in game map....cheating?

LOL Donald!

Not when the in-game map is all you have. When I have no waypoints I check the map before launching and estimate the headings from waypoint to waypoint and fly on those turning when I think I'm in the right place relative to an airfield, town or the front lines.

Works for me until my printer gets replaced.

OK, I'll go for Full Realism, but it's going to be pretty dodgy with the enemy AI having much better eyesight.

The TAC display compensates for that a bit and, as mentioned, allows for selecting targets, too.

I've got my maps ready and I'll clean down my monitor.

It's a neat challenge and I don't want the Off-liners thinking we have it easy.

The obvious keeps coming to mind in this topic...

if a pilot wants to turn off labels and tac,,,they always have that option....

am sure will get arguments about level playing field and all that...

The obvious keeps coming to mind in this topic...

if a pilot wants to turn off labels and tac,,,they always have that option....

am sure will get arguments about level playing field and all that...

Hi Donald,

Yes -a level playing field can only be guaranteed by the host settings.

Are you joining us this time around?

I think I will sit this one out.

After some thought, I think I would rather fly for the USA later in the war.

Good luck to all.

I still will be around for some MP on-line flying...............just not able to dedicate the time needed to be a good pilot.

"I thought I might try and organize some Saturday sessions for beginners, with TAC and labels, using the now available scripted missions so as to be able to train some new pilots who could then graduate up to your level of play but I think there would not be much interest in it?"

Don't be so sure.

I think you'll find there are plenty of people who'd like to have a crack at MP who simply don't have the time to play it in the way that has been suggested for the next campaign. I can't say I blame them, since the idea is to have fun, and if flying with nothing other than the notoriously dodgy in game map is the only option, then some people are going to conclude that they'd like something that doesn't take a lot of training and commitment in terms of time and other resources.

Open a list for another campaign that uses TAC and labels, and see who's interested.

For myself, I'm tempted to go for both.

Just to remind everybody, Vasco's Volunteers is not indicative of what we fly in MP. His style of missions and game play are what he chooses to do. No one is expected to only fly with Vasco on Sunday's. Everyone who hosts online games have their own way of doing it. Anyone who has flown with myself or Duck online knows what I mean.

That being said if anyone wants to step up and host regular games on Saturday's by all means do so. Then you can run them however you want. I don't mind flying with Vasco it's a little more challenging but if you want to have a more relaxed type of game any other time bring it on and we will fly it. Many of the pilots have built all kinds of different MP missions to suit any taste. If you don't have them or don't use mission builder just ask and I am sure the guys will share their missions. Duck, Stumper and myself do it all the time.

Let's Fly Boys!

AX is right.

Its nothing against flying in a more realistic style.Besides.........IF it was a true flight sim.........all we would have might be a fairly good map of the terrain, and a compass. And thats all.

Its timing at the moment. AND I like flying just for fun right now. Vasco'o Volunteers are just another style to play. Kinda like HardCore in an FPS-Shooter, no HUD, ammo counts, CrossHairs. Stuff like that.

S'Duck and a few of us kinda find our way..........fly a little and have a great time. No one should feel pressured to fly. Its up to the pilot.