Sign in to follow this  
Pappy55

I just found somthing amazing

Ok people dont dance like a spider monkey when you see this but

OH FRAK YES!!!!

Yes I am buying it for all time sake..

Edited by Pappy55

Oh Gawd there goes my childhood right there!!! Do I or don't I that is the question or should some things be left to the past?

Ha. It's amazing what you can find these days. I lost quite a few hours of my life in that game too, but I must say that for me, 5 minutes of looking at those graphics will cause the nostalgia to wear off fast. I loved RB 3D and for $9.99, you can't really go wrong but for myself I'm sure it would only cause me to fire up OFF anyways. Let me know how it is though.

Hellshade

Hell yes. I'm buying this right now.

huh, if it works for Vista then I'm buying it (when I have money). even though I already own both of those programs! I still haven't had all of the fun I can have with WFP just yet.

thanks for the link

If they really are compatible with XP and Vista, bravo.. only thing is, they are about 5 years too late. Fun to see those old pixilated screen shoots in 256 colors, but I just can't imagine going back to that level of sim when we have OFF available now that has almost everything Red Baron had to offer, but improved about 500% in almost all areas. Almost feels like going back to a dos game from a PC game years ago, or back to a Commadore game. grin.gif

It's tempting

I came along too late for RB (just in time for OFF)

But it's spoken about in such reverance I'd like to experience RB at some time

With all the interest in WWI sims lately, I'm wondering if Mad Otter is testing the waters

There are a lot of mods out there that update pretty much everything

There are a lot of mods out there that update pretty much everything

Yes, you almost have to have a mod to really enjoy RB as it was junk straight out of the box. OVS put together Hell's Angels years ago using my OTE terrain mod and mods by himself and others and it's probably the best and easiest to install and use, and.. it's free. I just looked and I can't believe it, he still has the website up.. go here: http://www.hellsangels.firstflare.com/main.htm

OK, the add says the pack contains many versions of Red Baron:

Red Baron 1

Red Baron: Mission Builder

Red Baron 3D (a heavily patched version of Red Baron 2)

So does that mean it is fully compatible with and/or includes some, most of, or all of the 3rd party add-on content available over the years? I've heard RB3D only shines with 3rd party content...

Just asking, 'cause I was never able to get into that golden age of WWI simming due to real life.

OK, the add says the pack contains many versions of Red Baron:

Red Baron 1

Red Baron: Mission Builder

Red Baron 3D (a heavily patched version of Red Baron 2)

So does that mean it is fully compatible with and/or includes some, most of, or all of the 3rd party add-on content available over the years? I've heard RB3D only shines with 3rd party content...

Just asking, 'cause I was never able to get into that golden age of WWI simming due to real life.

No, that would be a serious copyright violation, to make money on mods that others have done. There is no way they would do that; they are apparenly giving you a XP and Vista compatible version of RB, which is also compatible with the newer graphics cards that it didn't support before. That should make it a lot easier to get running on newer rigs and operating systems, something that used to be extremely frustrating if you could even get it to work relyably.

RedBaron 3d was the last version that allowed some serious mods to be added and is the only one that would seem to really be worth having. Red Baron I, I am assuming, is the old dos version and would only be fun to see how pac man flew a WWI sim.. seriously, it would really look dated. RedBaron II was the limited color, early Win98 game and was vastly improved by RB3d at the expense of all sorts of problems at first. But the mod crowd slowley learned how to mod it and over the years it was changed into quite a sim for its time.

Anyway, as I said, the Hells Angels mod is the easiest and least troublesome of the mods for RB3d. There are others that you also might like to play around with, like the excellent Promised Land mod which Kessler used to sell, but I don't even know if its available anymore and I don't know how it would react with this new RB3d as it modified a lot of game settings that go way beyond graphics updates that Hell's Angels did.

Would certainly be worth playing with if you never went though the Red BAron years, mainly to see where OFF is coming from. Many of us who worked on OFF are the original motley crew modders of Red Baron and we then tried to take the best of RB and put it in OFF, with huge improvements.. I hope you will agree.