Sign in to follow this  
mojojojo

Campaign/Warping

Hello:

Haven't survived a campaign beyond about 3 missions yet. I guess part of it is that I don't really know what's going on.

Second mission in my Sopwith Triplane campaign (RNAS 1 Sqn Furnes Jan. 1917) was to attack an airfield.

Didn't have time to hand fly the whole mission so I climbed to altitude & warped to the target waypoint.

Dove. Strafed. Took flak damage. Nicked a couple of parked airplanes but didn't blow anything up. Shot at the tents too, just to try to destroy something (apparently they're bulletproof). Gun subsequently jammed. Real world pilot (with any sense) would call it a day and go home (to live to fight another day).

Flew away from the target area. Attempted to warp back home (again, no time to hand fly the whole thing). Warp kept taking me back to "target waypoint reached" (Yes. I already know this...). Hit "Esc" to end this silliness. Captured. "The war is over for you."

So I guess I have to blow something up to be able to warp home? Return with my shield, or on it...?

What are the criteria to be able to warp home from a ground attack mission? The mission brief does not specify a minimum damage level (other than to "attack the airfield"). In future I guess I have to plan to hand fly the entire mission in real time?

I warp many times when I don't want to spend too much time sitting at my computer. When you warp, you're flown from way point to way point as shown on the map. If I miss one, I get warped back to it. I've learned to pay attention to the map way points. Plus there's time you may have to spend in the target area. If I don't complete the way points and goals I seem to have to fly the mission again.

check out this thread on last discussion about warping:

http://forum.combata...e-with-warping/

as for airfield attacks....well I will usually fly the way points spend a little time hanging around the target and make one straffing run (as uncleal said) conserve my ammo and go off looking for air targets. Other times I just go looking for air targets and skip the airfield altogther.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I should add that my plan was not to invest a whole lot of time (& rounds) attacking ground targets in what would have been a wood/fabric airplane with a single .303 in. gun. I opted to play the mission I was dealt by the campaign. Just wanted to compare what other folks' experience was with the warp functionality.