Sign in to follow this  
Duce Lewis

OT - Flight Sims on Mac ...XBox 360?

I got to talking about OFF to a co-worker today

He's surprised me by saying he'd love a combat flight sim

Now here's the problem, he has a Mac and XBox 360 ...no PC

I told him I'd look into it for him

Anyone know of a good flight sims for either of these platforms?

He's not particular about genre

IL2 Sturmovik got a simhq console award this year - its the only console sim i know of though

I think you can get Blazing Angels for Xbox 360. I have it for the Nintendo Wii. Im not very fond of it though. Its more of an arcade shoot em up with WWII planes than a simulation.

-Rooster

I got to talking about OFF to a co-worker today

He's surprised me by saying he'd love a combat flight sim

Now here's the problem, he has a Mac and XBox 360 ...no PC

I told him I'd look into it for him

Anyone know of a good flight sims for either of these platforms?

He's not particular about genre

Have him find Graphicsim games such as X-Plane 9 (Awesome Sim), F/A-18Precision Strike Fighter and F/A-18 Operation Iraqi Freedom. Here's their website:

http://www.graphsim.com/

As for the 360 there really isn't anything in the sim genre. Alsthough there is Ace Combat 6 and HAWX. Also remind you're friend he can run Boot Camp and install Windows XP or Vista and therefore he can play a lot more games.

OK, thanks guys!

More than I'd thought there'd be

Gives him something to work with

Cheers,

Best advice I can give Duce...is to get a stick, and beat him around the face and neck

XBox and Mac indeed!!! :no2:

... XBox and Mac indeed!!! :no2:

Actually my Mac Pro work station runs all operating systems, Mac OS (various versions), XP pro, Win7 pro x64, and Linux, on various drives and partitions, so there!

Duce, tell your friend to get off his Mac butt and use bootcamp to make a gaming partition for XP or Win7 (on sale at academic price for $30 for a few more days). It doesn't get any sweeter than that!

That $30 offer ended on the 3rd of Jan. Sorry

Edited by Cameljockey

Thanks for all your helpful posts

I found some videos and he's liking the IL2 Sturmovik on XBox ...Graphics are outstanding!

Now I'm trying to explain there's a lot more to a sim than slick graphics

FM, Single/Multi Player, Dynamic Campaign, etc

Also telling him he should find a good IL2 forum and ask what he needs, etc.

But I've never flown IL2, so I don't know where to go

Can anyone recommend a good IL2 forum site?

Although it's much more arcade than simulator, I've enjoyed the Crimson Skies game for the PC. I'd imagine the XBox version is very similar. It's an alternative history set in the late 30s and early 40s where pirates fly around in aircraft carrier zeppelins and there are all sorts of outlandish aircraft and really cheesy dialog.

• Like 1

Although it's much more arcade than simulator, I've enjoyed the Crimson Skies game for the PC. I'd imagine the XBox version is very similar. It's an alternative history set in the late 30s and early 40s where pirates fly around in aircraft carrier zeppelins and there are all sorts of outlandish aircraft and really cheesy dialog.

You mean like this Jarhead ! Cheesy but highly enjoyable for an alternative to the rigours of WW1 ! it's just a lotta fun and very well done. Recommended.

Interesting video

When you say arcade, I'm assuming the FM's are real easy

Any chance of stalling?

Interesting video

When you say arcade, I'm assuming the FM's are real easy

Any chance of stalling?

Duce, hope you're doing well. The Crimson Skies FM is arcade. You won't find the Spinning Incinerator in there. You can stall and drop like a brick but won't spin. Hell of a lotta fun though being a hero in an alternate world of air pirates in an era when the aeroplane was king and transportation/freight was accomplished primarily by Zeppelins instead of rail/truck. The video was from the PC version. There is also a xbox version which is even more arcade than the PC version but a good start into flying games for your mate.

Duce, hope you're doing well. The Crimson Skies FM is arcade. You won't find the Spinning Incinerator in there. You can stall and drop like a brick but won't spin. Hell of a lotta fun though being a hero in an alternate world of air pirates in an era when the aeroplane was king and transportation/freight was accomplished primarily by Zeppelins instead of rail/truck. The video was from the PC version. There is also a xbox version which is even more arcade than the PC version but a good start into flying games for your mate.

Good to see you back here Catch

I spoke to my buddy today, he's hooked on the XBox version of IL2

Has pricing on refurbished controllers ($120) and will purchase on payday

Graphics on the XBox version are amazing: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yqVOGtdzIok

Keeps talking about the bits flying falling off the aircraft

Not the best decision maker but he shouldn't go wrong with IL2

Myself, I've just purchased BoB II

Looks like a nice Dynamic Campaign and I've always loved Spitfires

Still be flyin OFF #1 of course

Thanks BirdDog, I'll pass the forum on to him

• Like 1

Good to see you back here Catch

I spoke to my buddy today, he's hooked on the XBox version of IL2

Has pricing on refurbished controllers ($120) and will purchase on payday

Graphics on the XBox version are amazing: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yqVOGtdzIok

Keeps talking about the bits flying falling off the aircraft

Not the best decision maker but he shouldn't go wrong with IL2

Myself, I've just purchased BoB II

Looks like a nice Dynamic Campaign and I've always loved Spitfires

Still be flyin OFF #1 of course

Thanks BirdDog, I'll pass the forum on to him

Well Duce, 2009 was an "Annus Horribilis" for this little cove. Frankly, I was glad to see its backside wandering over the hill into history. The current release of BOB II looks pretty good. Hope you enjoy that. Wings of Prey looks to be just the ticket for your friend. That'll get him interested, then before you know it, he'll be spending big bucks on a gaming PC to try "real" simulators wink.gif

Well Duce, 2009 was an "Annus Horribilis" for this little cove. Frankly, I was glad to see its backside wandering over the hill into history. The current release of BOB II looks pretty good. Hope you enjoy that. Wings of Prey looks to be just the ticket for your friend. That'll get him interested, then before you know it, he'll be spending big bucks on a gaming PC to try "real" simulators wink.gif

I agree on WoP, I spotted a vid on youtube recently

Hope 2010 is annus mirabilis for you