Sign in to follow this  
Showtime201

Graphics errors when I look in the mirror

I've been trying to get my SF2 Vietnam to work properly.

The stock game runs fine but the atmospere is too bland for me. The terrain looks fine (stock) but the target areas are extremely boring. I downloaded and installed the Expansion PAck Gold 2.0 and its update.

The clouds and sky look great and the target areas have some character to them.

Unfortunately I knew I was going to have problems. My first tip was when I went to the intro screen for my campaign (the one where the teletype types out your squadron assignment and date the campaign starts.)

I no longer had the picture of a carrier on the campaign screen. The text was still there and the message types out but the rest of the screen is black.

When I got into the mission I noticed errors in the images renderred in my mirriors.

Here is what is behind my aircraft..

rear.jpg

But here is what I see in my mirrors..

mirror.jpg

If I remove the custom terrrain this error goes away.

I have been up and down the list of drivers for my video card (ATI 4870x2). From verion 9.1 all the way through to the latest 9.12.

I am runnig Windows XP.. I even went up and down the settings in my Catalyst Control Center. AA, AF Mip map et cetera, With No luck..

Is there a way to have the new and improved, better looking target areas and not have to use the new terrain?

Edited by Showtime201

There's nothing that can be done about that, short of (as you've discovered) going back to the default tiles. It has something to do with how the series handles alpha layers, since the last updates.

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 2

One other question..

Is this an issue with all Video card types or is it just ATI?

If it's an ATI issue I forsee a new Nvidea 295 in my future.

As I said, it has to do with how the series now handles alpha layers. It has nothing to do with who's name is on whatever silicone is currently handling your system's graphics. :grin:

• Like 2

As I said, it has to do with how the series now handles alpha layers. It has nothing to do with who's name is on whatever silicone is currently handling your system's graphics. grin.gif

The reason I ask is becasue I just saw this vidoe posted in these forums.

Swift doesn't appear to have the same problems I am having.

The reason I ask is becasue I just saw this vidoe posted in these forums.

Swift doesn't appear to have the same problems I am having.

Is he running the same patch level?

• Like 2

Rgr that, his video was created using the Gold Mod for SF2V.

That's not what I asked. Is he running the December 2009 patch? I think not.

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 2

That's not what I asked. Is he running the December 2009 patch? I think not.

Showtime201, I'm running the SF2/ V Dec 09 version that I purchased straight from the ThirdWire. It came already patched to the Dec 09 patch. I just installed the Expansion Pack Gold V2.0 to the SF2/V stand alone. I'm running on Vista 32 and Nvidia 8600GTS with all the latest drivers in case you are wondering. The graphic issues that you are encountering could be with your ATI card as you suspected. The only issue that I have with graphics are the low clouds. From other threads here on CA, everyone els is having that issue and I'm sure someone smart will figure out soon or later. Try running the sim on MED graphic setting, that seems to fixed most of my other graphic issues. I hope this help.

Edited by swift375

Since I'm experiencing the very same issue that Showtime is, despite the fact that I'm running a GeForce 250 GTS, and can verify that the issue did not exist prior to the Dec09 patch, I strongly doubt his having an ATI card has anything to do with it.

• Like 2

I'm having the same problem, and more, with the combo pack and reported it to Thirdwire (and so have others too).

SF2E using stock terrain: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5756/img00004g.jpg

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7225

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7201

It's not an ATI issue either as I'm using a GF9800GT.

I've heard they are working on another patch.

Edited by Desert Eagle

Thank you Fubar,

I should have noticed that the problem started with the new patch.

I switched to the old one and the graphics are fine. That will at least give me something to do until the next fix comes out.

Yeah, the topic is brought to TKs attention already - let's hope he will be able to iron that out........heat.gif

And it's not related to ATI - I have the same effects when looking in the mirrors (NVIDIA 8600).

Concerning the missing carrier-picture: see my thread with the corrected files for campaigns (the XP refers to .bmp-formatted background pictures, whereas TK changed those files to .jpg's with the Dec 2009 patch. I changed all the .bmp's to .jpg's accordingly)

Just download and let the new files overwrite the old ones.

Finally eburger68 is working on a fix to set straight some other things in the XP which the Dec 2009 "broke"...

I have same problem.

It seems that "low graphics" settings (the ones that the mirror uses) has some problems rendering the tiles.

Nothing wrong with medium.

What's strange for me is that this phenomenon happens in the combo pack.

But not in a merged install patch to the latest release.

I have same problem.

It seems that "low graphics" settings (the ones that the mirror uses) has some problems rendering the tiles.

Nothing wrong with medium.

What's strange for me is that this phenomenon happens in the combo pack.

But not in a merged install patch to the latest release.

Not really, mine is a merged install patched to the December 09 level.

• Like 2