Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Fine WW1 aviation art

Just searching for some really good paintings, I found this one by Jay M. Thompson.

If you know a good link for such paintings, please post it here. Thank you!

Not brilliant quality I'm afraid, as It was too small, and had to resize...but I do like this one

post-22245-12638183070273.jpg

I like Robert Taylor's work, although he mostly does WWII era planes, his WWI stuff is nice.

RobertTaylorbiffboys.jpg

RobertTaylorHighPatrol.jpg

Ah, Robert Taylor. Aviation artist sans pareil. I do wish he'd do more WW1 paintings, especially as he says they hold a special magic for him, being partway between his first love, sailing ships, and his greatest, aircraft.

Mind you, that's a damn fine painting you opened with Olham, superb composition.

Now, can one of our American members answer this question... how did Rickenbacker manage to fly if he so rarely took his hands out of his pockets? :grin:

Now, can one of our American members answer this question... how did Rickenbacker manage to fly if he so rarely took his hands out of his pockets? grin.gif

He had his planes rigged out with small pulleys in the cockpit and holes in his pockets so he could run tethers between the stick and his hands. Best way to keep them warm I guess, unless he was fond of pocket pool. blink.gifshok.gif

Well, this is my wallpaper at the moment (except better because it's not a jpg). Taken from the Virtual Aviation Website and a 'grainy' filter added... 'cos I like the effect. Lots of other images there WW1 and WW2. Well worth a visit if you haven't seen it before.

Ah, thank you for bringing that link back to my notice, Dej!

I had seen it some time ago, but now there are more good pics, and they all would make fine desktops!

Like this Halberstadt (I just see - they can be downloaded desktop size 1024 x 768):

Edited by Olham

Yeah. They resize and crop to 1680x1050 really nicely too and the grainy filter hides any artifacts. I've d/l them all.

Good re-find; thanks, Dej!

Only now, I realised, that there where more than one page of gallery.

And they all look very good - also WW2 ones.

So we should recommend this site to everyone.

That´s my current wallpaper, also taken from the Virtual Aviation site and a bit "processed".

albadesktop.jpg

Anastasios

Oh yes, hughesyman, Mark Miller's stuff is always special. Great aircraft skeletton pics there too!

Indeed, Lou - thanks for bringing him back to my mind.Here's one of his works:

Just to point out, quite unnecessarily I'm sure, that you don't need aviation art for a good wallpaper. Our favourite combat flight sim is perfectly capable of some stunning images... with a bit of 'processing' as itifonhom puts it.

Here's one from way back...