Freakin' nice.

Not exactly a Phantom though is it!

Ha ha ha only kiddin, looks awesome!! :yikes::good:

It´s an add-on plane?

Or it´s part of a new title?Any inside info?

I'll bet real money that it's for the next title, NOT for the SF2 series. (even though the terrain in the background kinda looks like israelme)

I'd be very happy to eat my words, but don't expect to be doing so

wrench

kevin stein

I'll bet real money that it's for the next title, NOT for the SF2 series. (even though the terrain in the background kinda looks like israelme)

I'd be very happy to eat my words, but don't expect to be doing so

wrench

kevin stein

tk stated that's will be a sf2 series soft and that the next sf series will come with dx12 (i understood it in this way, maybe i'm wrong)

but whatever comes i'll take it gladely

Sometime during the middle of 2009 I'm sure he stated that he was trying to get a fifth 'jet' game out by the end of the year (i.e. last year) so a fifth SF2 game wouldn't be a surprise and the scenario could be fictional - not that I approve of that sort of thing...

I wish the Suez Add on would come out.

tk stated that's will be a sf2 series soft and that the next sf series will come with dx12 (i understood it in this way, maybe i'm wrong)

but whatever comes i'll take it gladely

A SF3 title with graphics like DCS,Wings of Prey or even Rise of Flight it´s my dream with TK series , because no matter what kind of sim I play , I always come back here, all these years.

But I also understand that those titles are fruit of team work , not by a person alone like TK does.

I´m worried about the future of the series because of what I am seeing now, all those big teams delaying so much their titles,struggling with the increasing difficulties of programming titles almost photographic in their image quality ( look to DCS A10 Warthog and say WHOW!)

And TK, with all his talent (and I mean real talent) it´s just one man, not the superman.

I like very much the huge scope of this series,the ability to fly a wide choice of aircraft and weapons, like if you are FLYING a digital encyclopedia of aerial combat.

But the man needs to catch the tecnology to not be too much dated.

I hope I don´t need to fly in some Vietnam third party mod for Storm of War for example, who is promising to embrace all eras of flying after it´s lauching,( a Korea mod it´s already promised) because I like very much the open nature of SF2 world, but I believe strongly that sometime, TK (thirdwire), like other well succeed little companies, will have to choose beetween to grow up it´s company or stay behind.

Typical... I finally get the MF F-14A all set up in SF2, and then they come out with a new model. Oh well.

TOMCAT FOREVER!

A SF3 title with graphics like DCS,Wings of Prey or even Rise of Flight it´s my dream with TK series , because no matter what kind of sim I play , I always come back here, all these years.

But I also understand that those titles are fruit of team work , not by a person alone like TK does.

I´m worried about the future of the series because of what I am seeing now, all those big teams delaying so much their titles,struggling with the increasing difficulties of programming titles almost photographic in their image quality ( look to DCS A10 Warthog and say WHOW!)

And TK, with all his talent (and I mean real talent) it´s just one man, not the superman.

I like very much the huge scope of this series,the ability to fly a wide choice of aircraft and weapons, like if you are FLYING a digital encyclopedia of aerial combat.

But the man needs to catch the tecnology to not be too much dated.

I hope I don´t need to fly in some Vietnam third party mod for Storm of War for example, who is promising to embrace all eras of flying after it´s lauching,( a Korea mod it´s already promised) because I like very much the open nature of SF2 world, but I believe strongly that sometime, TK (thirdwire), like other well succeed little companies, will have to choose beetween to grow up it´s company or stay behind.

Um..... what?

Are you rich or something? Playing on some multi-million dollar ultra-rig?

I still can't play IL2 1946 on max settings (at 1024x768). When I last played LOMAC, it looked stunning on my system, but wasn't close to what people post in screen shots, and not close to max settings there. Here, I play with everything set to low (except cockpit res) or off (except lens flare, since the sun doesn't really blind you like it ought to), and I'm STILL struggling for frame rates.

Some of the screen shots people post here are just mind blowing. The visual capabilities this series has are simply incredible. If anything needed to be added, I would say it would be complex systems modeling (if the trend is to move toward more modern things, as it stands, if I want to fly modern I have LOMAC for that), and improved FM (overall) with torque, propwash, and p-factor (for F.E., WWII, and things like the Skyraider) [because as it stands, I use IL2 if I want to play with props].

There is so much eye candy in this series that it's probably good for another 10 years as it stands. cool.gif [not that I advocate stagnation, just that we could keep turning it up and experiencing more and more as that time goes on]

Um..... what?

Are you rich or something? Playing on some multi-million dollar ultra-rig?

I still can't play IL2 1946 on max settings (at 1024x768). When I last played LOMAC, it looked stunning on my system, but wasn't close to what people post in screen shots, and not close to max settings there. Here, I play with everything set to low (except cockpit res) or off (except lens flare, since the sun doesn't really blind you like it ought to), and I'm STILL struggling for frame rates.

Some of the screen shots people post here are just mind blowing. The visual capabilities this series has are simply incredible. If anything needed to be added, I would say it would be complex systems modeling (if the trend is to move toward more modern things, as it stands, if I want to fly modern I have LOMAC for that), and improved FM (overall) with torque, propwash, and p-factor (for F.E., WWII, and things like the Skyraider) [because as it stands, I use IL2 if I want to play with props].

There is so much eye candy in this series that it's probably good for another 10 years as it stands. cool.gif [not that I advocate stagnation, just that we could keep turning it up and experiencing more and more as that time goes on]

What kind of obsolete rig are you running? It's not like it costs a fortune to upgrade, you know.

TK has said himself that there won't be an SF3 for DX11. He doesn't see it being worth the effort because DX11 doesn't bring enough new to the table to justify upgrading the engine over DX10. And since Microsoft probably isn't going with a new OS for a while...

Therefore, my guess would be that I could see a F-14 centered sim (maybe an SF2:Libya) with the new terrain model (which he has publically said he's been working on), but still based on the overall SF2 engine.

FC

What kind of obsolete rig are you running? It's not like it costs a fortune to upgrade, you know.

Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 2GB of DDR RAM, and a GeForce 6600 (w/256MB), running XP Pro SP3.

I'd be quite happy to accept any donations you, or anyone else, would like to send my way (since it's not expensive to upgrade for you). :smile:

The mortgage is killing me, and I don't qualify for any breaks (not to get political, but you see, I work for a living, rather than soaking up wellfare, and... well, I suppose my ancestors are from the wrong part of the planet as well), so as it stands I simply can not spend even a mere dime on a new computer. And because of the state of my computer, I can't simply upgrade just a component or 2, I'd have to build a new machine from scratch (motherboard, processor, RAM, vid card, and possibly even power supply).

However, it's all relative. Among the Orbiter crowd, I apparently have a power-house rig. They are all die-hard Linux nutballs because they want to run on (as I put it just to get on their cases) a 286 with 64K of RAM without needing to even plug it in and get 100fps with graphics better than DX10 capabilities. lol (but seriously, that place is awash in 1GHz machines)

I would be willing to bet that a very large part of the market is still on old hardware, or with OS's so badly clogged and cluttered with cheap integrated video, that it might as well be an ancient system.

Right now, the one thing I can do is replace 2 of my 4 512MB sticks wth 2 1GB sticks of DDR. That would bring me to 3GB total (the 16bit OS limit), and hopefully buy me some frames. Even one or 2 would be nice.

[when I am flying on my own on a light map, I can get as high as the low 50s, with a game "frame rate" in the upper 170s. But when I fly an Expansion Pack 2.0 campaign mission, it's in the low 30s and low 140s (vid/game). Once I get to the target area and the flak is shooting, and the MiGs are tangling with the friendly AI, and there are about 40 planes in the air, the game rate drops to 40, while the video frame rate drops to 8. And that is with the afforementioned graphics settings on low or off (excepting cockpit and lens flare), and my nVidia 3D settings set to max performance, running the 195.(62 is it?), with ENBseries (which really did help btw). The game rate drop makes me think it's really processor bound, so that even an extra gig of RAM probably won't help much, but short of finding a 512MB AGP video card, there is nothing else I can do. And since those cards cost just as much as a PCIe card, there is no point in buying one (with money I can't afford to spend anyway)]

Well, UnknowPilot I don´t really thimk that the terrain in SF2 series is the best in the market,even if the models are beaultiful enough.

If you take a look at the screenshots of upcoming titles, you will see that slowly SF series are beeing dated ( take a look in the cockpit shots of the tiger moth from Storm of war , for example,it´s another level of graphics.

If the bar is raised too much, the suspension of disbelief of older titles may become difficult and you ends loosing interest.

It´s my perception of things, it´s opened to discussion , and not a personal attack to TK or Thirdwire.

Well, UnknowPilot I don´t really thimk that the terrain in SF2 series is the best in the market,even if the models are beaultiful enough.

If you take a look at the screenshots of upcoming titles, you will see that slowly SF series are beeing dated ( take a look in the cockpit shots of the tiger moth from Storm of war , for example,it´s another level of graphics.

If the bar is raised too much, the suspension of disbelief of older titles may become difficult and you ends loosing interest.

It´s my perception of things, it´s opened to discussion , and not a personal attack to TK or Thirdwire.

True enough. But remember, all games are made with growth in mind. They are made to overpower the current mass market systems in multiple ways, firstly being outright graphics settings, the other being in easy patch-upgradability of the engine to support more and more complexity in FM, DM, and AI.

Virtually nobody will run that new DCS game or SoW at max settings out of the box. But over time as they upgrade their systems they will slowly turn more and more stuff on, and/or run at a higher res. (btw, Oleg himself has said it will be impossible for any currently existing machine to play SoW at the settings levels shown in his preview screenies - this is by design)

Plus, this is a flight-sim afterall, not Quake. Eye-candy eats into processor time that could be given to flight modeling, damage modeling, systems modeling, or AI. Granted, you see the graphics, and the other stuff is sometimes harder to detect, but that other stuff is actually more important, especially today - as while visuals are most certainly an important component of immersion, which itself is integral to a simulation of an experience, they are already so good that it's more than enough, so those unseen areas could be focused on instead.

As for terrain.... I'll grant you that too, but mostly just in texturing, trees, and collidable buildings. And I'm betting those are easily added without a complete re-write (depending, of course, on how it's currently set up internally) - it would just mean a further frame rate hit.

Edited by UnknownPilot

Typical... I finally get the MF F-14A all set up in SF2, and then they come out with a new model.

Perhaps sooner than you think... :grin:

img00104.JPG

Edited by Fubar512

True enough. But remember, all games are made with growth in mind. They are made to overpower the current mass market systems in multiple ways, firstly being outright graphics settings, the other being in easy patch-upgradability of the engine to support more and more complexity in FM, DM, and AI.

Virtually nobody will run that new DCS game or SoW at max settings out of the box. But over time as they upgrade their systems they will slowly turn more and more stuff on, and/or run at a higher res. (btw, Oleg himself has said it will be impossible for any currently existing machine to play SoW at the settings levels shown in his preview screenies - this is by design)

Plus, this is a flight-sim afterall, not Quake. Eye-candy eats into processor time that could be given to flight modeling, damage modeling, systems modeling, or AI. Granted, you see the graphics, and the other stuff is sometimes harder to detect, but that other stuff is actually more important, especially today - as while visuals are most certainly an important component of immersion, which itself is integral to a simulation of an experience, they are already so good that it's more than enough, so those unseen areas could be focused on instead.

As for terrain.... I'll grant you that too, but mostly just in texturing, trees, and collidable buildings. And I'm betting those are easily added without a complete re-write (depending, of course, on how it's currently set up internally) - it would just mean a further frame rate hit.

With all due respect UP but that is all your opinions. Most of us actually have pretty good hardware and we can all agree that the graphics engine is getting a little bit outdated. Sure we want better flight models, damage models and so forth but like you said graphics are a big part aswell. I belive that TK would have to eventually make a huge upgrade on the graphics engine to actually be able to stay on the market. The core players will proberbly support him no matter but if he wants to tap into the bigger market he has to upgrade. I dont think TK should just stop carring about that because some of players have bad hardware, no offense to you.

Okay now thats done it typical I buy SF2 Europe and now I have to buy another one but oh boy a TOMCAT I can't wait... hmmm flying felines

Funny... just last night I was toying with the idea of trying to add the MF F-14A into my NF 4+ install, but decided not to because I didn't want the hassle of getting the MF F-14 working in SF2. Now it looks like I made the right call!

I passed on SF2I, but if SF2:X includes F-14's and more carrier ops, there's a good chance I'll pick this one up.

All I can say is: sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! (Also, love the shot of the MF Bravo)

Funny... just last night I was toying with the idea of trying to add the MF F-14A into my NF 4+ install, but decided not to because I didn't want the hassle of getting the MF F-14 working in SF2. Now it looks like I made the right call!

I passed on SF2I, but if SF2:X includes F-14's and more carrier ops, there's a good chance I'll pick this one up.

Check out the KB, I put in what files you need to get the pit to show. Aside from that (and a cockpit viewpoint fix), there's nothing else that needs to be done.

@Fubar, I know there's a new MF Tomcat on the way, but I just couldn't wait any longer! Besides, I love the A-model.