Sign in to follow this  
Rodster

Anyone playing CF3 and OFF with an nvidia card?

I had an nvidia 7900 graphics card and all the Microsoft combat flight sims looked terrible texture wise. I recently purchased an ATI 4670 which i'm kind of disappointed with the performance/drivers so i'm now considering an nvidia 9800 GTX to hold me over until nvidia releases it's DX11 GPU's.

If you are playing CFS3 and OFF P3 with great looking graphics please let me know? I remember reading that Microsoft has compatibility issues with some of it's games that run on an nvidia card (texture issues) whereas it works fine on an ATI card.

My 8600GT nVidea card works fine with OFF. Will probably upgrade with another nVidea card as soon as I can replace the old one.

My 8600GT nVidea card works fine with OFF. Will probably upgrade with another nVidea card as soon as I can replace the old one.

I have Nv9800GT and bad work with CFS 3 or OFF.Plaese help someone

I use an ATI card and I am running everything on 4 and it runs wonderful... saying that I have always used ATI cards... after problems back in the late 90's with NVidia Cards and Intel chips... (I blew 2 cards and 3 233mhz processors). Moved to AMD and ATI never had any problems...

Running ATI 4890 and no problems. In my opinion 4670 is a bad ATI choice for gaming. Try at least a 4750.

The 9800GTX+ is a good choice (not much better than a 8800GTS 512MB), but it's an aged card.

EDIT: Here is a graphic card hierachy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2521-8.html

Edited by Von Paulus

I evicted my ol' ATI for the 8600GT and am glad i did.

Running ATI 4890 and no problems. In my opinion 4670 is a bad ATI choice for gaming. Try at least a 4750.

The 9800GTX+ is a good choice (not much better than a 8800GTS 512MB), but it's an aged card.

http://www.tomshardw...t-graphics-card,2521-8.html

Thanks mate, yeah I thought that would be the case regarding the 9800GTX. Yeah I agree that the 4670 is basically a jack of all trades video card. The GTX 295 is a beast but it's still based on older technology. If nvidia had released a DX11 card I would have gone with that but sadly it's not available. The 9800GTX+ cost me $135 from Newegg with free shipping.

Prior to my ATI 4670 purchase I had the 7900GTO which was nice and lasted me 2 years but showed it's age with newer games I wanted to play and it was based on 128 bit interface whereas the 9800GTX+ is 256 bit interface. I think it should hold me over until nvidia releases their DX 11 cards and the prices come down a bit.

http://www.tomshardw...t-graphics-card,2521-8.html

that link is broken...use this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/132/1

there is a link to ati specs on the page

Running 2 GTX 260s in SLI. Good FPS with no issues. Was having a few issues until I did some sorely needed updates to rig with being offline for quite a while getting my uncle out of Detroit. But once the updates were done, I had a marked improvement with every simulator. Up to 25 - 30 fps improvement.

Running a 512MB nVidia 9800GT and no problems. Would like a monster card(s), and i7 processor/motherboard/16GB of ram to go with it - wouldn't we all! - but this does fine at 1680x1050x32bit colour in CFS3 ETO expansion.

Oh yes, and sliders at 5 apart from clouds (2) In CFS3Config untick dual-pass render and tick High resolution Z-buffer.

Edited by hairyspin

No, CFS3 ETO expansion. There are plenty of answers here about OFF, just a little info on CFS3 since it was asked about

Thanks everyone for the replies. My 9800GTX+ should arrive on Monday, now i'm looking forward to it. Maybe my original problem running CFS3 which was a couple of years ago was due to older nvidia drivers. I'll be using the latest Windows 7 WHQL nvidia drivers. I'll let you lot know how it goes.

:good:

I hate to rain on your parade, but Windows 7 is merely the host, that 9800 features it's own installation disc, on which are the drivers

The same situation existed with the 7900, which initself provides some insight as to what the problem might have been Salute.gif

That's not what I found with my 9800GT when installing Win7 - it just went off and got the right driver without any disc input. good.gif Updated it too, within a day or two of completing the install.

Nahhhhh, not majic uncleal. One of the features I noticed since Vista. The OS will let you know if there are new drivers available for your rig's compnents. But since I have about 5 games that I like to mess with, I found that I need to be careful as there can be issues with some drivers in 1 or more of them, so once I find a good set of drivers that work all around I stick with them until the verdict is in from all the forims as I find it pita to revert back to the ones I was using then go back and reconfigure every game.

Windows also has a generic driver for nvidia and ati so when you first fire it up, it isn't like the old Win98SE days where you had to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get to the settings page for your video card.

Liked your last joke though, it was "utterly" hilarious! rofl.gif

Yep, sheer magic. What can also happen is you buy a new printer, scanner, whatever and plug it into a Win7 rig and the OS goes off and gets the drivers. Just the drivers. No crapware, ultra-stoopid photo editors, web publishing wizzurds, picture gallery organiser drivel you don't actually want but get anyway whether you want them or not if you use the driver disc. Just the drivers.

Refreshingly simple!

<br />Yep, sheer magic. What can also happen is you buy a new printer, scanner, whatever and plug it into a Win7 rig and the OS goes off and gets the drivers. Just the drivers. No crapware, ultra-stoopid photo editors, web publishing wizzurds, picture gallery organiser drivel you don't actually want but get anyway whether you want them or not if you use the driver disc. Just the drivers.<br /><br />Refreshingly simple!<br />

Yeah that's the only thing I really liked about Windows Vista. When I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer it found 100% of my drivers including the display drivers for my ATI 4670.

Edited by Rodster

Nahhhhh, not majic uncleal. One of the features I noticed since Vista. The OS will let you know if there are new drivers available for your rig's compnents. But since I have about 5 games that I like to mess with, I found that I need to be careful as there can be issues with some drivers in 1 or more of them, so once I find a good set of drivers that work all around I stick with them until the verdict is in from all the forims as I find it pita to revert back to the ones I was using then go back and reconfigure every game.

Liked your last joke though, it was "utterly" hilarious! rofl.gif

ConradB I agree it is a pita to revert to old drivers or go back to 'em

I installed the game yesterday for the first time using the 9800GTX+, I recently purchased and the game looks beautiful. :good: