Sign in to follow this  
vyrago

OFF or RoF? Help the n00b!

'H' Key I think..or Shift H

There should be a list of keyboard commands in the download..if not, pm me, and I can send

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

'H' Key I think..or Shift H

There should be a list of keyboard commands in the download..if not, pm me, and I can send

Thanks UK_W, I have the KB map and see SHFT-H as "HUD Mode" so i'll try it. Be nice to have the throttle work but I can program it to throw out "=" and "-" if I have to.

Yeah...I just got a Cyborg 3D...all works fine :grin:

Had to edit the keyboard.inp file, it wasn't as shown in the tweak guide so I played around and it works fine.

Hello all! Glad you got it sorted. Sorry I was out of town and away from the internets. :) UK_Widowmaker, I did not know people were having problems getting it from ModDB. Glad someone offered to host at Stratedgyinformer. ;)

ArgonV...is it possible for people to skin aircraft in FS-WW1?

Hello,

it has the best Zeppelin damage model of any sim, right. grin.gif But then, how many sims have ever modelled real airships at all (yes i did get the joke), apart from 3rd party model for the MS FS series - and you have to fly them dynamically (!). The latter is, well, "unsatisfying" because it takes away the biggest advantage those gas bubbles had - to stay motionless in the air, at unbelievable (for the time) altitudes without spending any fuel - perfect for naval reconnaissance, and bombing.

I have not yet given up to see a "full blown" airship in OFF phase 3 or x, even a british blimp like one of the SS class would be a great sight ! They used gondolas from fuselages of the BE2s, or the Farman Shorthorns (so the dev team "only" needs to model the gas bag, and maybe some small flight and damage model lol !)

grin.gif

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

UK_Widowmaker, you can. All of the aircraft files reside in the Data15.PAR file located in the FS-WWI\Media folder. These *.PAR files are much like data zip files, you can use an SDOE created tool called BigMunger to extract this file (I would do it on your desktop). It will extract it like a zip file, with files and folders in their proper order and place. Then you can copy\paste them in their proper place inside your game's FS-WWI\Media folder. The aircraft skins are located in the FS-WWI\Media\aircraft\aircraft-name\textures folder.

You can get BigMunger in this package:

http://www.fsww1.com/Downloads/Tools_Tutorials_FAQs.exe

It is true that the Zeppelin in FS-WWI has to be flown much like a slow flying aircraft that is hard to handle. But given a 15 mph head wind it can float rather nicely. But, I was never fond of flying Zepps, rather blowing them up instead! ;)

OOO....Thanks Argon..will take a look :)

Your computer has slightly higher spec than mine so should run fine, just adjust the graphics for best performance... on that note dont be surprised if OFF looks awful when you first load it. Most graphics settings start low and you have to turn them on (at least it was on my version!)

I also recomend buying the new downloadable addon to OFF from the OFF website. Adds even more aircraft and some extra features. think its about $20?.... much cheaper than RoF where you have to pay cash for every single plane you want to fly!!!

In fact as a point of interest, when RoF finally has as many aircraft available to buy as OFF comes with it will cost you......

$347.23 :boredom:

Further to your question about RoF... it has a thick layer of dusk where it sits on my top shelf.... can't wait for the day when I have a wobbly table so it will actually be some use.

Oh.... and eventually you should get hold of a TrakIr system as they are good fun!... not essential though as you can pile up the kills just using the padlock and snap views. Drawback is you can't look around with the mouse in OFF so a head tracker like TrackIr offers the only way to smoothly look around.

Don't worry to much though, If anything I found targeting and padlock view easier once you are used to it as you can't lose track of your target. Real benefit of trackIr is emersion into the game rather than improving chances of a kill.

Real benefit of trackIr is emersion into the game rather than improving chances of a kill.

I found it varies, depending on what you fly.

I found Trackir improved my aim with iron gunsights, because you can actually use the sight. Even in the strutter, with trackir, you can even draw a bead using the offset machine gun. You don't need the gunsight view, just lean over and line up the sight - it's the extreme edge of trackIr, but it's there. You can also look down the aldis sight too.

I noticed a much bigger difference with the WW2 aircraft. I got to be a pretty good marksman in my Mossie pre-trackIr, but I couldn't hit a barn door afterwards. You'd no perspective with the site, and no datum to line up your target. You'd waste a lot of ammo through fire, adjust, fire, adjust.... No clean shots at all. Even once you 'zeroed in', shift your head an inch (& try not to with a Trackir), and you need to start again.

The other cool thing about trackir is you can actually use the cockpit guages. It's a clever little gizmo, and like Stiffy says, it gives a massive boost to your immersion level. It puts you 'in' the cockpit.

Even at take off, if you're in a tail dragger and you can't see where you're going, lean over and look down the fuselage.

Edited by Flyby PC

a head tracker like TrackIr offers the only way to smoothly look around.

That is not true.

I understand that you are a fan, and perhaps it's the only way you would consider, but, it is NOT the only way to smoothly look around.

Obviously, there are those who are good with the mouse in one hand, stick in the other and are quite smooth. But even outside of that, the Cougar HOTAS has a microstick on the throttle which can be mapped to anything, including the mouse. In most sims, that's exactly what I use it for. It does take a bit of getting used to, but it is extremely smooth and controllable, and I use it as I would my head (though I am a bit more stiff in Strike Fighters because I don't like where the view center leaves the view).

I think that statement would be like me saying that a ThrustMaster Cougar HOTAS (with rudder pedals) is the only way to truly enjoy a simulation and experience immersion with a side benefit of increased effectiveness. I may feel that way personally, but clearly it's not a statement of absolute fact (for everyone). wink.gif

That is not true.

I understand that you are a fan, and perhaps it's the only way you would consider, but, it is NOT the only way to smoothly look around.

Obviously, there are those who are good with the mouse in one hand, stick in the other and are quite smooth. But even outside of that, the Cougar HOTAS has a microstick on the throttle which can be mapped to anything, including the mouse. In most sims, that's exactly what I use it for. It does take a bit of getting used to, but it is extremely smooth and controllable, and I use it as I would my head (though I am a bit more stiff in Strike Fighters because I don't like where the view center leaves the view).

I think that statement would be like me saying that a ThrustMaster Cougar HOTAS (with rudder pedals) is the only way to truly enjoy a simulation and experience immersion with a side benefit of increased effectiveness. I may feel that way personally, but clearly it's not a statement of absolute fact (for everyone). wink.gif

TH CH PRO USB HOTAS has a very accurate microstick (in the USB Throttle) also, but for me it's either the TIR or fixed views.

Edited by GaryR

Thanks ArgonV...worked a treat...very easy to skin in..here's my OFF DVII converted to FSWW1

Hey, I recognize that plane. Thanks for the skins you've uploaded this past month Widow.

post-45792-12663646821.jpg

Wow very awesome skin UK_Widowmaker! If you want, e-mail it to me at ArgonV @ AOL . com and I can post it for download at www.fsww1.com

:)

Widow,

That's a real sweet skin!! I think you just nailed my personal mount skin!! I never have time to design my own... I'd like to use yours!

One alteration... remove the pirate head for Jasta 15's Georg Hantlemann's 'Death Head', fit it right on the white stripe and you've got me a winner!!

OvS

OMG!....OvS wants to use one of my skins?.... I am very honoured...really!...blimey!!...I really don't know what to say...thanks very much!

I will make the adjustments, and post it for download (though that would be white on white if the skull is on the white band?)

Thank you very much too Argon V...that would be great...I will get it across to you.

Edited by UK_Widowmaker