Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Can Anyone recommend a good book?

Hello

Does anyone know of a good book, with lots of colour pictures of WW1 aircraft?..a sort of 'Pictorial History in colour' if you get my drift?..a colour encyclopedia of WW1 combat aircraft...that sorta thing?

My son would like one for his Birthday

Thank you

I just picked one up, actually.

"The Pocket Encyclopedia of World Aircraft in Color, Fighters 1914-19, Attack and Training Aircraft" , by Kenneth Munson. 1st edition was publishe 1968, so it's an older book, but you might find it on Amazon or somewhere like that. I don't find an ISBN # on it, but the Library of Congress Catalog # is 68-20155.

It's a smaller book with lots of color plates in the front section and short descriptions of the planes in the back. It's probably not exhaustive, but a nice little reference.

A couple of sites I have used to find books are:

www.theareodrome.com and www.abebooks.com

The Aerodrome has a section on books and has sections for each area, pilots, or planes,etc. AbeBooks has a search engine that can find some hard to find books, or out of print.

The old series from Time Life, titled "Knights of The Air" is a good book with lots of pictures and info. Easy to read. Might find at AbeBook.

Any of the Osprey Aircraft series is great. Very informative, detailed and lots of colour pictures to enjoy! Usually about specific planes, but good .

Hope you enjoythe search. That's half the fun.

Another idea, try "Jane's Aircraft of WW1". They are the definitive authors on all things of military interest around the world.

Edited by Kingkat

Yes I know a good book. I saw it one year ago in a Portuguese library, and stupid I am sometimes, didn't bought it.

Of course now I don't find it anymore. It seemed to be really complete.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biplanes-Triplanes-Seaplanes-Aviation-Factfiles/dp/159223223X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264636543&sr=8-2

Instead I bought these at the time for 10€ both.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FIGHTERS-ATTACK-TRAINING-AIRCRAFT-1914/dp/B000MF5PBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264636794&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bombers-1914-19-Patrol-Reconnaissance-Aircraft/dp/B000KFQSK6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264636794&sr=8-10

Not that I'm sorry they are quite complete but I just should have bought the other also.

I think you maybe able to pick up a WW1 Janes book over here Mr W for a fairly reasonable price just check through the cheap book shops...

Thanks Gents...a good selection to look into :drinks:

If he wants good pictures in color of WWI aircraft and combat, give him OFF

Thats very true of course....but he's played it, so not much of a prezzie really

I was only half serious. If you can give him the gift of a love for reading, it's one of the best you could ever give him.

I was only half serious. If you can give him the gift of a love for reading, it's one of the best you could ever give him.

Amen to that Mr Lucky :drinks:

I can also recommend that Kenneth Munson's book Von Guber mentioned. It has nice pictures and a lot of useful information about the planes in a compact format. I have a translated edition of it, printed only a few years ago. Don't know about any new English editions though...

In any case, too many kids these days don't like to read any kind of books, which is a shame, because it's hard to beat books when it comes to learning new stuff and educating yourself.