Sign in to follow this  
Typhoon

Sound Solution

One of the problems that I have with OFF or any game for that matter is the inevitable shout from SWMBO "TURN THAT THING DOWN I'M TRYING TO..." I tried headsets but they just didn't do it for me. Then a friend of mine showed me these:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/headsets/devices/5095&cl=ca,en

He let me try them out and they are superb. A little pricey perhaps at $145 but well worth it. Mine will be here tomorrow. He said they work well with teamspeak the 3 buttons being programmable.

The nice thing is that peace reigns again in the Typhoon household.

Tony

Doesn't that use speakers still though, so you could still have it too loud?

Does the TrackIR clip fit onto those? I've seen the clip have trouble on some headsets..

It was supposed to link to the "Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset", but for some reason It doesn't go there from this forum. It worked ok from the CH Hangar forum. Anyway they are awesome. I don't know about the TrackIR clip as I use the hat clip.

Tony

I'm curious because I've never explored the option of use USB powered devices for sound...does sound processing require a significant amount of CPU power anymore?

FC

I'm curious because I've never explored the option of use USB powered devices for sound...does sound processing require a significant amount of CPU power anymore?

FC

Not really anymore. Onboard sound has gotten so much better too from what it used to be. My eVGA 780i mobo came with 5.1 surround sound, and it sounds just as good as any SB card for games, movies and tunes. Plus with CPU power increasing as much as it has, the power needs for sound is negligable anymore.

The USB headsets can be great! But remember . . . you get what you pay for. I have been using a set of Plantronic DSP-500s for years now. They still work great but the foam is wearing out so I am starting to look around for replacements. I actually use them with my buitin sound which I think is Sigmatel (at work so I cant doublecheck . . its an addon card for an ASUS MB). But I run the game audio through the MB and send all the Teamspeak to the headset. Works great.

My recommendation regarding the headsets is to spend the extra and get a good pair with good bass response. That way if you do use only the headset the low-end sounds (ie gunfire/explosions) will "feel" good. If you use a TrackIR clip you will want to pay attention to the band of the headset. I have a friend that has a newer headset (Plantronic Gamecom 777 http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/computer/gaming-headsets/gamecom-777 ) and the thickness of the band was stretching the plastic of his clip. Not a good thing! His current solution is to only attach it when he is going to use it.

Edited by Kamikaze

Ah yes they look rather nice indeed. The link works if you take off the end of it after the 5095

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/headsets/devices/5095

I have some of these Sharkoon X-TATIC v3 5.1 Dolby Digital, really excellent.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=923676

5.1 with 8 speakers, super quality.

I often have to use headphones...and the one thing that I find irritating, is that because I wear Glasses....the area at the back of my ear and one the top really aches after a while, where the arms of the glasses are squeezed into my head!

Headphones all the time out of consideration for the wife and the neighbours.- Semi detached house.

I've had them for some years now . they are still good. Plantronics with a built in mic.

I use them with a trackirPro3 and hat- tried a mates clip and don't like it.

Been using 'phones since some years ago i let my mate fly a dogfight while i went downstairs to make a cuppa. I could not believe the noise the guns made.Where i was it was ten times worse than in the room itself. I used to fly online with a guy who used speakers all the while. I visited him one day and I did wonder how his wife put up with the noise- after all, we were online ( with EAW ) with USA friends up to 2am.!!

Wasn't surprised when he gave it up . i reckon he had ( rightly ) an ultimatum.

I often have to use headphones...and the one thing that I find irritating, is that because I wear Glasses....the area at the back of my ear and one the top really aches after a while, where the arms of the glasses are squeezed into my head!

Why not get a pair of these:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=34195160

Problem solved

Tony