Sign in to follow this  
andqui

Frame rate issues

I'm running Vista 32, with an Intel Q660 processor @ 2.4gHz, 3 gb of ram, and a 512 mb GTS 250 vid card. My frame rates in this sim are much lower than I would expect.

My settings are:

Object Detail: High

Object Textures: High

Cockpit Textures: High

Mirrors: on

Cockpit Reflections: off

Shadows: unlimited

Effects: unlimited

Terrain Detail: High

Terrain Texture: High

Horizon Distance: very far

Ground Objects: High

Water Detail: medium.

AA and AF are set to 8x by the driver program, regardless of program settings

These settings give me accectable frame rates in the cockpit, with minor stuttering, but when I hit F6 and go to the exterior camera I get horrible stuttering.

Do these results sound about right for my system, or is something else going on? Any suggestions?

thanks

Experiment a little by turning down the shadows,effects, and horizon distance as well as the ground objects. I had a lot of stuttering with my old 512mb card with all the settings turned up over places like Hanoi when there was a LOT of stuff going on IE Explosions, particles flying about, shadows and other effects. So I got a 1 gig card and turned down some things one at a time to see the differences if any

Edited by Viper6

Another thing you could try is the ENBseries modification there is a big topic in the forums on it regarding the thirdwire sims but i cant seem to find a link. Here is a link to an OFF topic regarding this mod and it has a download link for the mod there aswell. http://forum.combatace.com/topic/50963-the-enb-series-bloom-and-hdr-mod/

Be aware though that some machines only register a small improvement while others have a major one.

Hope this helps

Mike

I know the problem. Got the Q6600 too. With 2.4 Ghz shakes it so to himself, but overclocked to 3 Ghz everything runs much better. Put time on the AA please let us default only the AF at 8x. This should better at it. What resolution do you play?

Greeting

The game is very cpu intensive. I clocked my Q6600 to 3.2Ghz and still when there are alot of AI around i get down to 22-25 fps. Which sucks if you ask me :this:

Horizon Distance: very far

That's the biggest culprit.

Say your terrain tiles are 512x512 bitmaps, a resolution which translate to 768 kilobytes per tile. With the horizon distance set to "very Far" your system's trying to put down 300-400 of them. That's anywhere from 150-300 megabytes, just in terrain tiles alone! I recommend you set horizon distance to "normal", and you should notice a 20-50% increase in frame rates.

I had bad stutters (real bad flybys) on my old Nvidia 9800gtx too, pretty much same system as you. I have ATI card with more video memory now, and it cleared things up.

But for you, turn down Antialiasing to 4X, AF should be ok at 16. If you have large monitor, don't really need more than 4X anti-aliasing.

Ingame settings...cockpit, shadows, effects, and horizon distance impact your frame more than anything else. Turn those down one by one. If you go lower than "high" in effects and shadows, I think the game turns off DX10 advanced shaders (it runs in DX9).

You have a Q6600 man, thats one of the easiest, and most overclockable chips in existance. You can run it at 3Ghz with no problems.

I have a dell desktop so I can't overclock my processor. I have read something about a tape mod, but I'm not sure if I want to physically mess with my CPU. Changing the horizon distance did help, however.

shadows and effects can be big FR killers - try lower settings with them also if it still and issue - if you have a series 1 game then the enb series mod is pretty good.