Sign in to follow this  

Or is the game really that stupid?

Quite possibly. It dates from 2002 after all: I go back even farther and my wife will tell you I'm much dafter! The Q&D method of getting your model into the sim is to export from gmax and swap the .M3D with one of a stock aircraft. You don't need to build the VC, so long as you put an eyepoint0 node in a suitable place.

It won't sit properly on the runway, but it will fly that way, even if somewhat unrealistically - never seen a Mustang with biplane wings before, nor a fabric-winged biplane which could do 350mph in level flight...

But first you have to organise the model hierarchy and align pivots correctly, or you'll have a model that flies sideways.

Nothing ventured...!

That rotary is looking great there bud! I'm working on a low poly model of the Mercedes DIII. With the snow melting and the ground soft and soggy, I have also been rolling the 5 acres so mowing doesn't rattle my back teeth out.

Once I get a good model ready that falls in along the tightrope of looking good, with a low enogh poly count, I post some pics. Just trying to keep it with all the plumbing and tubing and plugwires and all the goodies is a real job. Also working on the cockpit, mostly from a "what looks good" viewpoint as there are virtualy no pics of the cockpit complete. There's one from the plane that's in a museum, but it is very barebones, lacking guages and all that stuff. So, it's kinda a "by guess, and by god" approach, and does it look good. I do have the gunring and support struts done. That was an interesting part to build, since the whole outer ring is stationary, and it has an inner ring that swivels 360 degrees, and the gun mount also swivels left and right, but also has the up and down motion too. So the observer's gun has 3 motions of travel. 2 on the horizontal, and 1 on the vertical.

Also working on the cockpit, mostly from a "what looks good" viewpoint as there are virtualy no pics of the cockpit complete. There's one from the plane that's in a museum, but it is very barebones, lacking guages and all that stuff.

That's the perennial problem in modelling cockpits. If anything it needs to be more detailed than the exterior, because that's where you'll spend your time in combat, but it's the most neglected subject in reference drawings and photos. Then when it's built, some rivet counter tells you the gunsight crosshairs were completely different and the oil pressure gauge was calibrated in squirrels per square firkin and it was below the starter mixture woggle, not between the magneto and ignition retard vernier......

Ah well, back to gmax.

Well, at least I know one thing for sure though. is that the compass was on the port wing just outside the cockpit. So I think it may be interesting to model, and still make viewable for people with smaller monitors.

Yep, trying to accomodate everybody's whim and want is a tall order. And from emailing Shredward we came tothe conclusion I will have to use the pit layout from the CLIV, which from what I can gather, was pretty much the same layout. Although there aren't a lot of pics of it, the ones I did manage to find from museum restorations are at least complete if not great in detail.

Well, at least I know one thing for sure though. is that the compass was on the port wing just outside the cockpit. So I think it may be interesting to model, and still make viewable for people with smaller monitors.

That can certainly be done: NachtPiloten's Dorniers in ETO have engine gauges on the cowlings, visible (and working) from the VC.

That can certainly be done: NachtPiloten's Dorniers in ETO have engine gauges on the cowlings, visible (and working) from the VC.

Ok! Cool! Just lok outside the pit to the left and see an operating compass. drinks.gif

Still coming to grips with the VC. Taking it slow, and doing lots of saves incase I need to backup and redo something. Also fooling with the artfiles for the surfaces, so it's a slow process, but I'm also doing the best I can to figure it out on my own, as I have enough bugged the others in the "know". Besides it's a triumph, when done with self reliance.

Vee know nuffink, nuffink. Vee know yust enuff to know zat vee know nuffink.

How's it goin eh?

Cheers,

shredward

Hi Shred!

Things are going well enough. Spring chores as usual. 5 acres of them! Plus a couple pices of the vynil siding I need to replace from those tough winter winds. I'll have to caulk all around the house to keep the wasps and bees and other critters out, and get everything ready for fishing season.

Also, I found a couple real good pics of the forward cockpit of the CLIV, which it is said was almost a duplicate of the CLII. Even a gastank unde the pilot's seat, with retaining straps, and clips. So it will work as a good base to get everything built in. Including the wooden varnished seat.

Great stuff!

Can't wait.

Cheers,

shredward

EEGAD!!!

The stuff you guys are doing is amazing!! Here I am adding a personal insignia to a skin for the first time and feeling proud. Now I want to crawl under the table and hide!

I would like to see one of your finished crates in video from all angles!

Any chance some of your work might make it into the OFF sim skins for the future?

Best Regards;:good:

The stuff you guys are doing is amazing!! Here I am adding a personal insignia to a skin for the first time and feeling proud. Now I want to crawl under the table and hide!

Thanks, but I have to say, "Oh bah".. I have no idea what I'm doing and am usually drunk when I play with Gmax. Once you learn the basic methodology and where to find those things on the interface, it's not really that hard, it's just tedious, and having to start over multiple times.

I'm afraid I've reached my limit, however. You'll note it was nearly a year since the last post in this thread before you posted here. My, how time flies. I was thinking it had just been a few months. But I no longer have the free time required to do this sort of thing and still be able to play. Maybe this will change at some point, but not in the foreseeable future.

... But I no longer have the free time required to do this sort of thing and still be able to play. Maybe this will change at some point, but not in the foreseeable future.

Sorry to hear that BH, just make sure you've got your work written to a CD so you can get it again whenever.

Cheers, Tom

Sorry to hear that BH, just make sure you've got your work written to a CD so you can get it again whenever.

Glad to know you're still around in case I do get started again :).

Glad to see you guys making progress. Don't give up BH you were getting somewhere. Hardest part of this is starting but the 2nd biggest hurdle is keeping going. Most startup modellers give up.

Conrad in case you want to check external instruments as a matter of interest currently in OFF the DFW and Eindecker have external compasses on the wings when viewed from the VC (DFW is on the left wing, EIII right).

Bullethead, it's a shame, but I have discovered your Gnome engine only now. It looks amazing!

What would you recommend to study as a starter/guidance?

I guess, I have to get GMax first; but which tutorial is a good one to begin with?