Sign in to follow this  
Ironhat

Trackir 5

It would seem quite a few of you vets use this device when flying OFF.

I have been considering one for some time now but never got around to really looking into it. Was at the home site yesterday and viewed what they had to offer + the demo.

I must say 5 looks interesting and i'm on the edge of ordering one.

There is one dealer in Canada. I went to their website and they only list version 4, not a word about 5. So i think i'll give them a call on Monday.

Also i noticed in the demo that the top of the monitor seemed to be very close to eye level of the guy doing the demo.

I have a 24" flat screen (1920 x1200) and i usually adjust my chair so my eye level is in the center of the screen. Using a cap with the clip attached would mean it would be about 4-6 or so inches below the top of the monitor frame. I could raise the chair a bit would rather not. Will this affect how the system works ?

Also i have no idea how much they migh want for a version 5 up here. The 4 is $129.99 Canadian plus $15 or so shipping.

How much of a learning curve is there when first using this system in a game ?

Any comment would be appreciated.

Using TrackIR 5 myself, I only regret one thing: why I haven't bought it earlier.

You can sit lower, as long as the three reflectors on your cap can be "seen" by the device

on your monitor; there won't be a problem.

(The device can be turned L/R or up/down a little, so no problem).

You have a command "re-center",which I put on a thumb button of my stick.

So you will never get out of adjustment, no matter how different you are positioned after a while -

you just re-center, and it works from that position now.

For very "nervous" craft, there is another command "precision"; works as if you stiffen your body and

mainly your neck (TrackIR reacts much less agile now, so you can aim and shoot better).

After aiming and firing, you press it again, and your full agile headmovements are back.

Very important for all who think of buying it: don't expect you had to learn anything here!

You just set it all up, adjust/center, and OFF you go. You look, where you wanna look, and you will

see, what you want to see.

No need to worry about anything tricky, and best not to be described, as it would only complicate it.

You will simply get, what you want to get.

It doesn't take long to get used to it, and then it's like riding a bicycle. Before you could, you were

very afraid of it. Once you knew how to do it, you couldn't imagine anymore, why you were afraid.

Edited by Olham

TrackIR is very easy to set up and use, and as soon as you get used to it (won't take long), you'll be left wondering how on earth you could have played any flight sim without it, it's that great.

It's really the best thing to happen to simulators since the invention of joystick. :grin:

Using TrackIR 5 myself, I only regret one thing: why I haven't bought it earlier.

Exactly. Couldn't say better.

There is no learning curve with the software version 5.

I just plug it and choose a smooth profile for Combat Flight Simulator 3 and nothing more. Didn't had the need to adjust any parameter.

Do yourself a favor. Buy it or use Freetrack.

UncleAl, since you have the hardware already, you can download the

TrackIR 5 software for free. I did that, and it works.

It runs smoother somehow.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So if i understand correctly from what uncleal said if my Canadian dealer only has Trackir4 i can buy it and dl the 5 software and i'm good to go. If so that is good news.

Yuppers, that is correct Ironhat. I also purchased TrackIR 4 and upgraded for free to 5 when it became available. Flying OFF with this system makes it a whole new sim. You'll love it.

Yes! I too bought Trackir 4 and use software version 5. Trackir 5 is slightly better but I couldn't justify the extra when I bought it.

And I'm no sorry for the choice.

Thanks to all for the fast replies, i am now informed.

This is very interesting!

I'm currently looking at TrackIR dithering about Trackir4 at @$100 or Trackir5 at @ $150 (+ $20 either way for the Track Clip Pro that attaches to a headset).

From what you guys are saying the hardware for the Trackir4 and Trackir5 are basically identical and the big difference is the software. And the TrackIR web page states:

LATEST SOFTWARE ::

Version 5.0 - Final B

(posted August 10, 2009)

(.exe 6.7 MB)

• Supports TrackIR 5, TrackIR 4:PRO

• Note: TrackIR 3 with Vector support will be added in version 5.1

Am I missing something here? Why even had a model 5 if the software will update the model 4 hardware?

This is very interesting!

I'm currently looking at TrackIR dithering about Trackir4 at @$100 or Trackir5 at @ $150 (+ $20 either way for the Track Clip Pro that attaches to a headset).

From what you guys are saying the hardware for the Trackir4 and Trackir5 are basically identical and the big difference is the software. And the TrackIR web page states:

LATEST SOFTWARE ::

Version 5.0 - Final B

(posted August 10, 2009)

(.exe 6.7 MB)

• Supports TrackIR 5, TrackIR 4:PRO

• Note: TrackIR 3 with Vector support will be added in version 5.1

Am I missing something here? Why even had a model 5 if the software will update the model 4 hardware?

They aren't the same at all. TIR 5 has about double the resolution (IIRC) as a TIR 4. The latest software upgrade just makes the TIR 4 perform better..

Well, maybe the TIR5 hardware is different and better.

But I can assure you all, that my TIR4Pro hardware, plus the TrackIR 5 software,

gives me a great result. As long as I don't know the better one, it will be great as it is.

Thanks guys, that is very helpful

Guest British_eh

Hi there Ironhat user_popup.png

You can get TIR 5 from a Canadian source off the Natural point main webb site. I have TIR 5 and then DL the software. I still default to the hatswitch at times as I find that TIR has it's limitations.

Perhaps I need a new profile, but it is great to have , but I find in combat, that it has limitations.

Cheers,

British_eh

I agree with all of the above posts only I use Freetrack (almost free shareware) and built my own 3 point clip/hat. It works great and cost maybe $25.00 cdn.

UncleAl, since you have the hardware already, you can download the

TrackIR 5 software for free. I did that, and it works.

It runs smoother somehow.

I did that for FS9 and FSX but now have a small problem with the eyepoint moving itself fore and aft!

I just upgraded from TrackIR4 to TrackIR5 and it is substantially better! I would have upgraded much, much earlier had I known but the reviews made 5 sound like a minor improvement over 4. It is much, much better. Everything about 4 that I HATED is GONE! (stuttering panning, sticking screens, and jumbolaya mixmash when looking down too far).

Get the five and don't look back!

Yep. You can set it up as you like.

As a long time user of trackir - I had trackir 1, I am presently using trackir Pro 3 with vector expansion.

I use a hat with the three pronged sensors. Works great. Used it for years, obviously

I tried a trackir 4 at a mates, with the headphone clip, and i didn't get on. When i used the hat it was OK.

Will the trackir 5 let me use the hat 3 pronged sensors, or MUST i use a headphone clip.?

And, seriously, is there such a difference between the 3 and the 5, enough to buy it.? I would like answers for those who have tried both please!

I use it every day. One of the best pieces of kit I ever bought.

TIA

I bought a TrckIR 4 Pro a year ago, with the metal clip to fix to a baseball cap,

with three reflecting points on.

Then I just downloaded the software for TrackIR 5, and I must say, it was a

lot smoother, somehow felt better. So yes, you can use that reflector clip.

Ditto, what Olham said. Hellshade kindly sent me a Trackir4 which I then used with the 5 software with no problems.