Sign in to follow this  
Bandy

For those addicted to WWI sims

By all means I most respectfully post this link to the FE forum HERE

Jan Tuma released his much anticipated 12 month terrain mod for First Eagles, and it is simply spectacular. Please see for yourself. Two versions available, one for 1st generation FE, another for FE2 (which has bump mapping for skins!).

I fly both OFF and FE for different reasons and love them as a parent can love two children. :grin:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan this is awesome, my FE is collecting dust here in my HD and i didn't saw it being released.

this terrain is awesome!

:drinks:

I may give it a try soon!!

Anastasios.

Looks nice enough, but eye-candy alone is very yawn. Does it have a dynamic campaign worthy of the name? And if it does, is it better than OFF's?

It does sure look good - but OFF landscape looks still a good deal better.

The whole look is definitely a big, big plus in OFF, something I really feel fine with!

Modded FE is a very good WW1 sim. OFF is better, but FE is good too. I didn't know they've already released FE2.

It does sure look good - but OFF landscape looks still a good deal better.

The whole look is definitely a big, big plus in OFF, something I really feel fine with!

Yes - totally agree. I downloaded it and tried it, and in the absence of OFF it would be great.

But go back to OFF and there's no contest. OFF is best scenery there is.

Although I haven't tried ROF, I've seen the screenies and even that seems inferior to OFF scenery.

Do a scramble in OFF and sweep low and hard till you sus the EA. The terrain is tremendous.

There are RoF videos on YouTube, and I watched some.

Their landscapes look pretty dead - only their water looks fine.

But when you go low, OFF still gives you the feeling, you could see the single grass halm.

Haven't seen any other sim, where that was done so brilliantly, in texture AND natural

looking colours.

They are both WW1 Sims...but there's where the similarity ends.

I have to land on the same side as Fortiesboy here..in that "In the absense of OFF it would be great"...but OFF is here, and I just can't see me making a switch...OFF has just too much going for it...the campaign is so damn realistic..and that is that really.

I can't help feeling that FE is too shallow (and I dont want that to sound derogatory to FE..it has a community of avid FE ers who would take issue with that comment)...but thats just how it feels to me...and Siggi is correct..eye candy is one thing...but again, as Olham says...there is plenty of that in OFF too...so, OFF it is for me...but I hope the FE guys enjoy their sim as well :salute::drinks:

quote UK widowmaker "but I hope the FE guys enjoy their sim as well"

By all means. Can't each have his own and be happy? I think so. I wish well for all the sims and I can be happy for new releases for them even if I don't have the sim. Someone elses good time is no skin off my bum. Enjoy what you have I say and if you don't then try another. I'm more than happy. :drinks:

quote UK widowmaker "but I hope the FE guys enjoy their sim as well"

By all means. Can't each have his own and be happy? I think so. I wish well for all the sims and I can be happy for new releases for them even if I don't have the sim. Someone elses good time is no skin off my bum. Enjoy what you have I say and if you don't then try another. I'm more than happy. :drinks:

Amen to that :good:

But go back to OFF and there's no contest. OFF is best scenery there is.

Although I haven't tried ROF, I've seen the screenies and even that seems inferior to OFF scenery.

What "seems" to be inferior, isnt.

I'm sorry. I've read all the fanboy reactions in the threads over the last couple of months, and am dismayed at the lack of open mindedness. Very surpised actualy, and not a little disgusted.

Watch this on youtube:

Certainly not a comprehensive video, but it shows just a small amount of the detail and scenery in RoF.

OFF isnt the best scenery. Not by a LONG shot.

It's outstandingly detailed, and with so much dynamic action going on, it's very immersive.

However, I've played both....a lot. And I have a system that can really show what each game can do.

Dont fool yourself. You can say it if you really want to believe it, but it doesnt make it so.

Hi BuB, I quess I am a fanboy. I don't try to insult anyone. We're just mates here having a chat. I'm glad you enjoy RoF. I wish I was over there in Hawaii. Oh well.

First salvo over the bow...

I didnt mean to offend anyone.

Just please keep your minds/eyes open.

and FWIW I'm an OFF fanboy too grin.gif

I stand up for OFF as well, since it has so much to offer, and is fun, and I'll stand up for RoF also.

I'm also a RoF fanboy, however, for the simple reason that I love to fly biplanes, especially with and against others.

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

Dear Broadside uda Barn,

I also have a huge PC an old ICL ELF. I do have a copy of ROF and the huge update and extra planes. The difference between OFF and ROF is that OFF is a total game and ROF a tech demo. Surely i love the cockpit views of ROF but as far as game play goes its realy crap.

yours sincerly,

Morris

system:

i7 950 CPU

12 gig ram

P6T Asus MB

Radeon 5970 card

Dear Broadside uda Barn,

I have had a look at the terrain of First Eagle and personally think it looks absolutely great especially the mountains.

Ps. at least we have the same mother boards but not mothers.

have a great day.

Morris

Nuff said I think guys - as always 'each to his own'. As the OFF forum anyone would reasonably expect a certain degree of bias. But at the end of the day every WW1 sim/game has its devotees and critics in equal measure. :salute:

Anyway, regarding OFF scenery and for those who feel its currently good - just wait until you see what Winder has up his sleeve :clapping:

Sandbagger,

Tell us more please.........

and you must also have a great day.

m

Well, my well intentioned post seems to have gone south despite some more noble posts. I Suppose I was naive enough to think that most WWI simmers would like to hear other good news and options for flying the not-so-friendly skies...

As my OP states, I fly both OFF and FE for different reasons. I will not get into the details, I have before and elsewhere, but suffice it to say that if the two [OFF and FE] were able to melded together and the best of both brought to the surface, then we'd all be much happier with only one WWI option.

Please let this thread die.

Well, my well intentioned post seems to have gone south despite some more noble posts. I Suppose I was naive enough to think that most WWI simmers would like to hear other good news and options for flying the not-so-friendly skies...

As my OP states, I fly both OFF and FE for different reasons. I will not get into the details, I have before and elsewhere, but suffice it to say that if the two [OFF and FE] were able to melded together and the best of both brought to the surface, then we'd all be much happier with only one WWI option.

Please let this thread die.

I appreciate it Bandy (as I'm sure 'most' people here do.

The catalyst comes whenever that dreaded word 'ROF' is mentioned...it appears to be a red rag to a bull around here!