Sign in to follow this  
Cobra427so

Building a new PC

Hiya guys,

I was looking through my records and found my current rig (which still runs really well), is way older than I thought. It's had some upgrades of course but was born early in 2005 and runs Windows 2000 Pro... So while it is still a viable rig, for a better overall OFF experience - (smoother, faster, sharper, higher resolution), I am planning a new system.

My preferences are for an AMD CPU, (or CPUs), a GForce video card(s)-(SLI?) and a SoundBlaster soundcard if the MoBo sounds are still not up to snuff. My budget is somewhere in the $1000+/-(US) area. I'm planning on using Windows 7.

I'm hoping some of you tech-minded folks can help me avoid any of the hardware/software conflicts, while getting a strong system that is still upgradeable for a few years. The health of my old system means I'm not in a terrible hurry, but I'd like to get it right the first time.

Thanks,

Cobra427so

Welcome to OFF!

You are going to get as varied a responce to that question as if you'd asked "what kind of new car should I buy?" Don't get overwhelmed and take the advice on system components given here with a grain of salt.

If this is for OFF only a single nvidia GTX 285 or upwards 1GB or more memory video card and a nice 22-24" fast refresh monitor. Then build the rest appropriately with whatever cash you have left.

Edited by Winston DoRight

No reason for added expense of sli with todays cards. Single boards are plenty fast enough for all games.

Check out Ibuypower.com , they're the cheapest custom rigs you can buy. (with the best parts)

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Edited by RichardG

Welcome aboard Cobra,

I built a new rig last year. My first time building one. It worked out very well. Here's a link to a thread where I got a lot of good advice from the folks on the OFF forum:

http://forum.combata...puter-shopping/

Of course since I did this last year, it's probably already dated (for instance Windows 7 is now avialable), but it might be a good starting point....

Velvet

One recommendation on sound. It seems that my MoBo sound processor chokes the game a little when lots of noisy things are going on (i.e., artillery, sirens, machine guns, etc.) and I get quite a bit of stutter. I haven't checked to see if it makes much difference if you have a SoundBlaster (because I haven't gotten around to buying and installing one), but I'm sure the Dev Team can add some input on this.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

I'll add my two cents and it might seem trivial but get the biggest case you can find. My ATI cards barely and I mean barely fit. I had to move the hard drives forward in their slots to make room.

Yes, if the vidcards get any bigger, they will need external mountings for them. The Nvidia cards are the same. And I thought this huge Antec 900 case was a big box.

Yes, if the vidcards get any bigger, they will need external mountings for them. The Nvidia cards are the same. And I thought this huge Antec 900 case was a big box.

Ok you want a AMD and not the Intel i7/15 setup and no CrossfireX or SLI!!!!!

What are you want to play here, if it is only OFF then go for a cheap dualcore system,  some $300/500,- complete and get a additional ATI57XX serie Vcard or why not updating you old system.

Playing games like RoF then get a:

quadcore AMD phenomII X4 965-125Watt CPU and not the 955 

mobo socketAM3 & DDR3, do not get the one that have a on-board Vcard like 785G because this will be useless here. 

Vcard: ATI58XX serie Vcard. Why ATI card and not Nvidia: because they can use the DirectX11, Nvidia only the old directX10, yep we are going for the future. 

Or go to a site like Tomshardware.com and check what you want by selecting the best components and rankings.     

Keep in you mind that in my country the i5 socket1156 is about the same price as the AMD-am3 setup.  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

have always suggested newegg.com for parts. prices seem to be lowest, and returns within the warranty period are always no questions asked.

price vrs performance, i think ati wins hands down...but just my opionion

if you do go ati, and get a crossfire board, be sure to get a x48 southbridge. Its the only chipsett that runs both cards at 16x. Some of the other chipsets run the first card at 8x and the second card at 4x. Big waste of 2 video cards as far as im concerned.

GET A FRIGGIN FLOPPY FOR THE COMPUTER!!

cant belive ppl spend a grand for a system, and wont spend 30 bucks for a floppy drive. then when they have to load the sata/raid drivers they have to jump thru hoops,,and pray the usb is enabled in dos.

have always suggested newegg.com for parts. prices seem to be lowest, and returns within the warranty period are always no questions asked.

price vrs performance, i think ati wins hands down...but just my opionion

if you do go ati, and get a crossfire board, be sure to get a x48 southbridge. Its the only chipsett that runs both cards at 16x. Some of the other chipsets run the first card at 8x and the second card at 4x. Big waste of 2 video cards as far as im concerned.

GET A FRIGGIN FLOPPY FOR THE COMPUTER!!

cant belive ppl spend a grand for a system, and wont spend 30 bucks for a floppy drive. then when they have to load the sata/raid drivers they have to jump thru hoops,,and pray the usb is enabled in dos.

Good point about the floppy. Most people think its days are long gone but a floppy drive is a cheap and simple way of getting into your system if something goes wrong.

Thanks for all the replies guys..!

Not sure why my tag shows me as new... been around since Phase 2, LOL.

Anyways, can't really upgrade the old system any further, pretty much maxed out at 2.9ghz (AMD). The MoBo only takes an AGP vid-card and 3gigs of ram. Now, the monitor is a new, fast, 24" hi-def flatscreen, (suddenly saw all the things I'd been missing on a CRT - holy crap), so I'm good there. But it really doesn't have enough muscle to run OFF smoothly when things get hectic.

I produce graphics, design and desktop publishing, so it runs well enough for that. I would like the new one to be flexible enough to run OFF and other games that are more demanding without laboring. Also it would be a plus if I could be able to do video editing. I've always leaned towared NVidia because they seemed to be more comapatible than ATI with less hardware and software conflicts. Has ATI gotten better in that respect?

Regards,

Cobra427so

if you do go ati, and get a crossfire board, be sure to get a x48 southbridge.  Its the only chipsett that runs both cards at 16x.  Some of the other chipsets run the first card at 8x and the second card at 4x.  Big waste of 2 video cards as far as im concerned.

and the x58, 790FX, 890FX etc. All could run full CrossfireX so do a search on the mobo's web site or at ATI, if this is important for you.

About ATI, even Polovski is running now a HD58??,  it is not the Vcard I think, but more a less the adjustments on that crappy CFSconfig file that is causing problems here. 

What PSU, mobo and CPU do you have because I think 3Gb RAM should be right to run OFF and right now there are some Vcards based on HD4670 and HD4650 GPU that can run on limited power and do have a AGPslot.  I do not know if this GPU can run on OFF at a decent graphic adjustment, but if not so, forum members will correct this.      

But keep in your mind if you like to play a game like RoF get a i7-920, socket1366 mobo, GTX285 or a HD58XX Vcard all to take the full advantage and a trouble free play.  

One recommendation on sound. It seems that my MoBo sound processor chokes the game a little when lots of noisy things are going on (i.e., artillery, sirens, machine guns, etc.) and I get quite a bit of stutter. I haven't checked to see if it makes much difference if you have a SoundBlaster (because I haven't gotten around to buying and installing one), but I'm sure the Dev Team can add some input on this.

The last thing I read from a reputable source was that sound should not be an issue on any recent computer running games/sims. It used to compete for system resources, but is not a relative factor anymore. Graphics, graphics, graphics!!!